Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

ShellieMay or Shellie May?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShellieMay or Shellie May?

I was just reading our Shellie May book to the kids when I realized it's not Shellie May at all, but in fact ShellieMay! Now, can someone tell me if this is just in America, or is it true in Japan as well?

As a side note, those patchwork Wishing costumes are adorable. Here's wishing we can visit Duffy and ShellieMay as a family for Tokyo Disney Sea's 25th anniversary!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

The Japanese plushes definitely say ShellieMay. I have always called my SS bear "Shellie May" so that is her name. It explains why they make her initial "S" instead of "SM".

(In Japanese, spaces are left out in their everyday written sentences, so somehow her name makes more sense to me in Japanese. There are ways to put spaces between katakana words, which is the alphabet ShellieMay's name would be written in...hers does not have a space in katakana either! シェリーメイ)
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

The bear's name is ShellieMay. I use the Shellie May name as a user name because my little neice started all of my social media sites for me, many of which ask for a first and a last name... that was just the way she entered it... I suppose we could have used any number of configurations of the name. I also notice that eBay searches offer Shellie May as an option to search for ShellieMay under... tho it could be that I have searched under the incorrect name often enough that my internet anticipates me. Idk.

Comment

So the bear name is ShellieMay the Disney Bear (which reminds me a little of Winnie the Pooh) but I noticed that Walt Disney had a daughter named Sharon Mae and I've often wondered if she was indirectly the namesake of our bear friend.

Comment

It does sound like OLC to me to use something with that kind of history and weight as a jumping off point and then tailor the name to fit the seaside theming and the individual bear character. Then again I could totally have been over thinking the whole thing

Comment

Thanks, Eeee-va and shellie may! Now I know just how to spell ShellieMay, the way she spells her name!
            Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Comment

I pride myself on being observant and I had no idea. Ha! I always write/type Shellie May For reasons I can't explain, ShellieMay annoys me. I guess I'll have to change that. Ha!

(It could be worse, I can't get Tinker Bell right to save my life...Tinkerbell? Tinkerbelle? Tinker Bell? Tinker Belle? Hee.)

Comment

Oh no! Idk!!! When in doubt..."Tink"

Comment

Originally posted by mercy View Post
                  For reasons I can't explain, ShellieMay annoys me.
                  I guess next time you see Minnie Mouse, you'll have to tell her. Since she created and named her.
                  It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

While some people names in English might be two words squished together with two capital letters, I associate that idea more with businesses like CenturyLink, LendingTree, DirecTV (sometimes spelled that way), etc. I assume the business name thing might be because of website URLs, but it always seemed a bit trendy to me, while teddy bears (I think) should be timeless. So I'm with Mercy that the spacing does seem weird to me and I'm not so sure why they chose it, unless it was to ensure she would have one initial, just like Duffy.

But if I knew people (besides ShellieMay ) who spelled their name like that, it wouldn't seem so weird to me. (I'm getting used to it, though!)
                    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

I didn't wanna accept it initially, either. As it became very clear that they were sticking with it, though, I just accepted it as her name. Kind of like the way I accepted "ShellieMay/Shellie May" just fundamentally. It's not the most adorable name in the world. I've only truly come to love it as I came to love her. Just plain "Shellie," I do really love, though, and that's how I think of her most of the time.

It's a bit of a shame, because both Duffy's and Gelatoni's names have a lot of multi-level appeal, I think. I would like for Shellie to have that, too. But I love her, and so I love her name, too.

One cool thing I just noticed recently is that with my Shellie origin story and the notion that she is the living spirit of Duffy's beloved lightship steamer, her name would be sans spaces. When I think about that, I love it completely. As the name of a lightship, I feel it totally works!^^

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X