This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total pin newbie!

My family just visited Los Angeles (where I live), and I spent a couple of days with them at Disneyland. I'm not a pin collector, but my mom and sisters are crazy about it. I've gotta admit - I really did get a kick out of hunting for cast members wearing lanyards (although it seems like less cast members are wearing lanyards now than I remember in the past - am I correct?) and trying to help them complete certain sets... enough so that I'm actually considering getting into pin collecting myself (since I live close enough to the park to be there a lot more often than my family can).

Of course, I know almost nothing about pins right now... so does anyone have any tips? I've got an idea of what I'd like to collect personally (I know you've got to limit yourself somehow!), but I'd also like to know how to spot more "valuable" pins, so I can acquire stuff for trading purposes, too. How do I know which pins are more rare than others? How do I know which pins are more "desirable" to other collectors? Any tips to keep in mind when trading with other collectors at pin meets?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Re: Total pin newbie!

I do know that they "cast member pins", the ones with a little siklver mickey head somewhere on the front, are sometimes worth more.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

The ones with the silver mickey are called "Cast lanyards" or the new ones this year are called "hidden mickey's" My advice is don't get caught up in it. You can easily go overboard. Limit yourself to a few different pin categories. Here is the best advice you'll ever hear "don't get started because that is the easiest way to quit." I don't want to discourage anyone from trading, but if you're not ready to have this hobby eventually take over your life then don't get started. Have fun with it! meet new people. You'll enjoy pin trading like nothing else!

Comment

Besides the Cast Lanyard pins with the silver Mickey head silhouette on it, limited edition (LE) pins are pretty valuable too - but I'm not sure you would want to trade those.

I say stick to pins of characters/attractions/events you like because you just can't collect everything ... and most important have fun!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! One question - I've heard tales of some unscrupulous collectors trying to rip off newbies like myself, by offering a couple of cheap pins for something that's really valuable. My question is - if I happen to get lucky and find something that's rare (or highly desirable by other collectors)... how would I know? Is there a way to tell rarity on certain pins, beyond the "hidden mickeys" and the pins with the LE # on the back? Also, is there a guide or something for some of the "most wanted" pins, so I can keep my eyes open for 'em?

Comment

Originally posted by AKComic View Post
            Thanks for the advice! One question - I've heard tales of some unscrupulous collectors trying to rip off newbies like myself, by offering a couple of cheap pins for something that's really valuable. My question is - if I happen to get lucky and find something that's rare (or highly desirable by other collectors)... how would I know? Is there a way to tell rarity on certain pins, beyond the "hidden mickeys" and the pins with the LE # on the back? Also, is there a guide or something for some of the "most wanted" pins, so I can keep my eyes open for 'em?

You know what my advice to you is? Don't trade. Yet.

Just pick and choose a few pins that really strike you as something you really like. Keep them for yourself.

Across your travels, you might come across pins that come with meals or a certain purchase that don't fancy you too much but just hang onto them. Wait until you have enough lame ones that you don't want and THEN perhaps get into trading.

I've been collecting pins all my life but only the ones i absolutely love. And even now at age 28, i only have like 6 pins i could do away with.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Pinpics.com is good resource. You look up a pin and how many have it vs. how many want it is a good indication of how valuable it is.

I personally don't worry about value. I trade w/CMs only, for pins I like. (of course, the LEs and more desirable ones I have I won't trade.) I don't trust those pin traders at Plaza and Buzz - plus I only trade "worthless" pins so I won't have anything they need

I do agree to choose a subject or character you love and stick with that. It helps. Also, I mainly collect Tinker Bell but there are SO MANY of them that I swore i'd only collect the ones I liked - which helps, because there are a lot of ugly flower ones I pass up )

you can get cheaper trader pins off ebay.
              Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM.
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

^You might want to edit your link above... it links to a page that goes to some naughty pages.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                  ^You might want to edit your link above... it links to a page that goes to some naughty pages.
                  :blush:
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget