Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Viva Italia!! Circarama's "Adventures By Disney" Trip Report

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viva Italia!! Circarama's "Adventures By Disney" Trip Report

Tigerlily and I recently returned from a trip to Italy that was presented by “Adventures By Disney” (ABD). The “Viva Italia” trip that Disney offers is a 9-day trip that starts in Rome, goes thru the Umbria and Tuscany regions, visits Florence, and finishes in Venice.

We had originally booked a 6-day “Taste of Tuscany” tour thru ABD, which we had intended to extend to Venice. But a couple of months before the tour, Disney contacted me and said that the “Taste of Tuscany” tour had been cancelled and they were willing to move us into the Viva Italia trip at no additional cost, including air fare changes. As luck would have it, our previous tour aligned almost perfectly with the new tour, so rather than change airline schedules, I asked if Disney would be willing to comp us a room in Rome a day early instead. They complied, so we flew in 24 hours early, which allowed us to get a head start on the jetlag adjustment.

We landed in Rome on a Wednesday around noon. ABD had a driver waiting for us, so it was a simple task to wheel the luggage to the waiting Mercedes van outside the terminal and begin our trip into Rome. Little did I know, but that was the last time that I would lift our bags until we were dropped off at the airport nine days later in Venice.

Driving into Rome started out mundane. Our driver didn’t speak English, and we spoke no Italian. It didn’t matter. We were so busy gawking at everything that the drive flew by. What was a real mind-blower was when we entered Ancient Rome and came upon the Palatine Hill ruins.

Palatine Hill is a huge ruin situated on hill looking down on the Roman Forum.

To it’s south is Circus Maximus, where the chariot races were held...

...and to it’s north is the Colosseum.

We zoomed past these historical sites on the way to Barberini Square… home to the Triton Fountain, and the Bernini Bristol Hotel, our 5-Star address for the next four nights.

Upon arrival, we were met in the hotel lobby by Tina and Marco, our ABD guides for the next ten days. They helped us get checked in and advised us of a pre-dinner cocktail party to be held on the roof of our hotel the following evening. After the reception, dinner would be in the rooftop restaurant.

We got up to our rooms and collapsed. We had been traveling for 21 hours and we were exhausted. But we were hungry too. I walked outside the hotel and saw a man eating what looked like a very good sandwich. Of course he didn’t speak English (why, oh why, didn’t I listen to the “Learn Italian” tapes?) but I managed to convey that I wanted to know where he got his sandwich. He pointed up and across the narrow street. I walked up a half block and found a very small sandwich shop filled with nothing but Italian-speaking businessmen. I was in the right place. After observing the various sandwiches being made, I asked for 2 of “what he had”. I walked out with two focaccia bread, prosciutto, and buffalo mozzarella sandwiches.

No mustard, no mayo, no peppers, pickles, salad dressing… nothing. Just 3 ingredients… bread, meat and cheese. It was the best sandwich I’ve ever had. It was a promising start to an unforgettable adventure.

After lunch, we drew the blackout curtains and slept for about 4 hours. It was only then that we took a full inventory of our room. We had a window that looked out onto Barberini Square.

The walls were covered in padded silk.

The bathroom was all marble.

Everything about this hotel whispered luxury. I was in heaven.

After dark, we decided to take a walkabout to get our bearings and to see if we could rustle up some chow. We started walking west of the hotel. Within 15 minutes, we found ourselves at the Spanish Steps, a popular tourist destination in Rome.

The Spanish Steps are a popular gathering place for folks to sit and people-watch. People-watching is big in Italy, and it’s a lot of fun too. There are all kinds of people at the Spanish Steps, so it makes for an interesting time… kind of like people-watching at Disneyland’s hub. But we weren’t feeling that close to the masses, so we decided to move on and find a restaurant.

We walked down the precarious steps and walked right into Rome’s high fashion district.

Every imaginable haute couture retailer was present and it was a lot of fun to window shop without the threat of having to actually go inside since they were all closed. Thanks God for small blessings!

We were seated outside and proceeded to order some wine and antipasti.

Darlene had crostini’s with tomato’s, basil, olive oil and mozzarella and I had a seafood salad. We then ordered pastas. I had spaghetti alla carbonara, and Darlene had spaghetti with a nice marinara sauce.

Both dishes were excellent, which was something we would come to expect in Italy. The food in Italy is something to be savored, celebrated and enjoyed. We had more incredible meals there than we’ve ever had… anywhere.

A partial view of Piazza di San Lorenzo...

After dinner we walked thru the narrow streets of Rome. Scooters are quite popular...

We eventually arrived at the Trevi Fountain...

...a beautiful water feature by one of Romes most famous sculpture’s, Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Bernini also sculpted the Triton Fountain which was located in front of our hotel.

There were tons of people at the Trevi Fountain, so we didn’t stay too long. We knew we’d be back in a couple of days with our tour group. We soon left and walked back to our hotel for more much-needed sleep.

Tomorrow: We ride Romes subway, visit Palatine Hill, home of Caesars (real) Palace and meet our fellow Disney Adventurers.

CLICK HERE FOR DAY 2 OF OUR ADVENTURE!
    Last edited by Circarama; 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM.

• I Heart Disneyland
    replied
    Re: Viva Italia!! Circarama's &quot;Adventures By Disney&quot; Trip Report

I just sat down for over an hour to read this whole report, Charlie. I'd looked at the photos before and had forgotten about it. I saw it today and decided to go back and read it all. Best trip report EVER! I love the sights, the friendships made, the food, the SHOPPING, the happy faces on you and Darlene. What an amazing anniversary adventure!

I have to ask...did you bring home pottery? That is my downfall...Italian pottery (and, pretty much colorful pottery from anywhere in the world). I LOVED the pottery photos!

Bravo! Bravo!

Leave a comment:

• Circarama
    replied

It was a BLAST!! I can't wait to go back. If you go, make sure and post a trip report for us.

Leave a comment:

• DLRP_bopazot
    replied

thats an amazing Thanks for sharing now i need to book a Ryanair flight from Paris to Roma or Milano . Only 2 hours away from here .

I hope you had a great time in Italia and i'm glad you didnt get the chance to drive there because Italian drivers are totally insane and crazy lol that's italia dude .

Leave a comment:

• neha
    replied

hi,

Thats Looks like an amazing trip so far!

Last edited by Disneykat; 02-12-2009, 02:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Wow... seems like you had a lot of fun! What an AWESOME trip report! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Leave a comment:

• rj1980
    replied

WOW! That really was a great trip report! :bow:

Photos, video, and commentary throughout each and every day.

That was fantastic Charlie, thoroughly enjoyable and the new benchmark for future trip reports. :thumbup:
    Last edited by rj1980; 11-15-2008, 02:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
    It was easy! The cool thing about the trip was that we were free to participate (or non-participate) in as much or as little as we wanted. Our ABD guides were very helpful if we needed any info on museums, restaurants or shopping, or even helping us with dining reservations.

The best part though, was knowing that everything was already taken care of for us. We didn't have to worry about getting tickets to the attractions, or transportation to the sights, or hotel ressies, or train tickets, or... anything! It was ALL taken care of! ABD took the stress out of a European sight-seeing vacation, which allowed me to come back home (believe it or not) rested and relaxed.
    thanks. That's really why we wanted to go on our own. We thought it would be dull to be around people we don't know and being dragged around to places we didn't want to see. Knowing, now...that we can pick and choose, and that the people get to know each other....it seems nice. I REALLY like the idea that everything is done for you. Just to be able to see the sights AND relax? Seems too good to be true.

It looks like you had a remarkable time. I don't think my husband would allow we to go near the leather goods and jewelry.....or if I did....I don't think he's ever pull me away.

It must have been amazing to see the David in person. WOW.

Leave a comment:

• snorkeld
    replied

Thanks for the great report, ABD should hire you asap. I'm going to check out their website right now.

Leave a comment:

• Fairy Godmother Travel
    replied

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us! It was a trip from which you will keep many wonderful memories, and I know it made me want to explore the world more.

Leave a comment:

• H2E
    replied

I will miss the updates, but thanks again for sharing your vacation with us. I will really have to consider Adventures by Disney for our vacation next year.

Leave a comment:

• All4dISNEY
    replied

BRAVO!!! Charlie thank you and Darlene for sharing such an amazing trip! You've a real talent for bringing the reader in. Only things missing for me are the jetlag and the loot. LOL

Best TR of the year!!

Leave a comment:

• BFJen
    replied

Those masks turned out amazing! What a neat adventure you all had!!!! Thanks for helping the rest of us experience it!

Leave a comment:

• Circarama
    replied

Originally posted by Missviolet View Post
    I think you need to go on awesome vacations more often so that we can read, what I'd say are, the best Trip Reports in Mice Chat.
    Let's hope someone from "Adventures By Disney" reads your post and follows up with me... I'd love to be there "Trip Reporter"!

Originally posted by Pratt55
    This report was wonderful Charlie and Darlene and I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post all of the great pictures with commentary. I am very sad now that it has ended.
    Thanks for the props Lisa! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Sorry you're so sad about it ending though... sounds like someone needs a trip to Cabella's for a little "happy time"! )

Leave a comment:

• pratt55
    replied

This report was wonderful Charlie and Darlene and I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post all of the great pictures with commentary. I am very sad now that it has ended.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X