This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working the cruise lines

HAs anyone here worked on the cruise lines? As a character? I have some burning questions that I hope someone here can help me with. Thanks in advance.

Re: Working the cruise lines

Hi,

I have not worked on the cruise, but I spoke to many people about their jobs while I was on there. Maybe I can help---ask away.
    Kirsten
    Disney Vacation Planner
    with Magical Travel, forum sponsor
    www.magicaltravel.com
    magicaltravelkc@yahoo.com

Disney Wonder sailing: February 2006
    Disney World visits: November 2007, September 2007, December 2006 and countless times before that. I am a former Caribbean Beach Resort Cast Member.
    Disneyland visits: February 2008, May 2006, February 2003 and July 1983

Comment

Hi, Has anyone ever worked on a Disney Cruise ship. If so, what did you do on it, how was working there and would you recommend it?

Thanks heaps

Comment

I don't know about Disney cruises, but I have relatives who came from the Philippines to work on Royal Caribbean liners. I did not hear good things from them. Most cruise ships have their vessels registered countries that don't have strict regulations regarding worker safety, living conditions, and wages. My aunt signed up to be a nurse on a 1-year contract for Royal Caribbean. She worked 14 hour shifts as an average, and got paid around $1800.00 for her efforts. She said the unskilled labour had it worse than she did. Hotel staff were expected to work 16-hour days, 7 days a week for less than half her wages. Cruise ship companies take advantage of workers from third-world countries and rake in a tidy profit.

That being said, Disney could be different. They may offer livable wages and comprehensive safety practises. The Magic, Wonder, and the two ships soon to come might be among the exceptions. I would hope so, but the ships are registered in the Bahamas and not the U.S. Skill level and nationality accounts for a lot, too, I would imagine. You mentioned wanting to be a costume character. I don't know how they might work a contract for entertainment vs. porters/dishwashers/housekeeping. They might feel a little more leery of an American who is knowledgeable of standard working practises in the developed world.

I've had friends who were entertainment technicians on cruise lines and they say that it takes a certain type of person to be able to handle life aboard ship. Are you easily motion sick? Do you have a need to wander and explore? If you had an argument with someone at work and had to see them every day for 6 months, could you handle it? Most ships are pretty strict regarding employee access to guest areas when not working. Basically they want you to stay on the employee decks when you are not on duty, restricting you to a tiny portion of the ship. In many cases when the ships pull into port employees are also not allowed to leave, so those kinds of things may need to be considered.

--nick--
        Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

It all depends on the country the ship is registered to. Disney is registered Italian I believe. Most cruise lines and ships are registered Panamanian and other countries that have low standards. Disney doesn't have that many Americans working for them like all the non US flagged ships. The only good cruise line is the Norwegian who has 2 or 3 US flagged ships operating in Hawaii. Personally if I was to ever go on a cruise ship I would do a US flagged or a European country but thats my personal preference.
          I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor View Post
            It all depends on the country the ship is registered to. Disney is registered Italian I believe. Most cruise lines and ships are registered Panamanian and other countries that have low standards. Disney doesn't have that many Americans working for them like all the non US flagged ships. The only good cruise line is the Norwegian who has 2 or 3 US flagged ships operating in Hawaii. Personally if I was to ever go on a cruise ship I would do a US flagged or a European country but thats my personal preference.

Both the Wonder and the Magic are registered in the Bahamas.

--nick--
            Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

Learned something new.
              I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X