Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Random Face Character Question...

I was looking at some photos of face characters from DLRP and I wondered if they speak English? I guess most Europeans do anyways, but are they from France? Or are they from the US? or the UK maybe? Just curious
    Last edited by princedalton; 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Re: Random Face Character Question...

I believe, I am not positive, that most of the cast members speak English and French.

Comment

Face characters at DLP do not impress me much. Seems like the people they choose to play these characters are locals and for the most part, do not project the image of the characters they portray all that well. Sadly but that is how I rate their performances.

Comment

Like the cast members, the face characters are at least bi-lingual.
        WDW - 1987 & 1991
        DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
        DLR - October 2011

Comment

In fact, many of the Princesses are British, so speak English with a UK (usually Essex) accent!
          Originally posted by fizzog
          Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Comment

We met a wonderful Cinderella last year, with a Californian accent!!!! I was really shocked.
            Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Comment

I would guffaw if Cinderella suddely yelled out with an Essez accent. Not quite like the film! I would love to play characters in the parks, just for a week for fun hehe.

Comment

I just read this trip report about this rather flamboyant and energetic Prince Phillip who had to drag along the world's surliest Aurora, which made me laugh. Although the person who wrote the report didn't quite see the humor in the situation.

I think that's one thing that can be said for the face characters; the men are clearly doing the job they were born to do (although some might ogle the costumes of their female counterparts still.) With the women, it's a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

But I digress. This is all very interesting! I never get close enough to the face characters to actually hear them speak — wouldn't that be creepy, a grown man, Smithers-style in line with the tween girls — so I had no idea some of them sound like they should be married to Peter Andre. That's hilarious.

Comment

It's an insurance thing - for some obscure reason, it's cheaper for DLRP to hire British dancers for the parades and shows, so most of the people you see performing on Main Street every day are British.

For a similar reason, the Tinkerbell who used to glide up the zipline to start the "Fantasy in the Sky" fireworks each night was actually a man!
                  Originally posted by fizzog
                  Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Comment

Originally posted by fizzog View Post
                    I would guffaw if Cinderella suddely yelled out with an Essez accent. Not quite like the film! I would love to play characters in the parks, just for a week for fun hehe.
                    Isn't Cinderella supposed to be british? I thought that was the case, therefore it would seem natural if Cindy spoke with a brit accent.

Comment

I always thought she (Cinderella) was French... But then again, Princess Aurora's origins are French or English, it doesn't quite seem decided. Years ago, I remember seeing her in EPCOT, right between the England and France Pavilions. Nowadays she's been shifted over to the France Pavilion, but just a few years ago it seemed sort of ambiguous. So, who knows.

Comment

Ok guys, to clarify the originals:

Cinderella is Cindrillon - French
                        Sleeping Beauty is Belle au Bois Dormant - French
                        Snow White is Schnee Weiss - German
                        Alice is English as is Wendy
                        Belle is French
                        Pocahontas is American
                        Jasmine is Arabian (however evidence suggests the stories emanated in Iran)
                        Ariel is Danish
                        Hope that helps
                        Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Comment

Should I be pedantic and point out that the origins of the story of Cinderella are actually Chinese?

No, I won't.
                          WDW - 1987 & 1991
                          DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                          DLR - October 2011

Comment

I actually thought that face-characters weren't allowed to speak haha!! Next time I go to DLP I'm going to make a point of having a chat with one of them! I always assumed that face characters were played by French performers, but a few friends of mine went over to perform in 2004/2005, and they played both face and costume characters.

Comment

The Jack Sparrow we met in Feb had a Cockney accent!
                              He was very good at staying in character, and much better than the Bert who spoke English with a French accent that we chatted to the year before.

Surely nobody's accent can be worse than Dick Van Dyke's attempt, so why not just ape that travesty? )

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
                              Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X