• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WDW1971
    Suspended
    • Jul 2011

[Question] What's With The Hotels???

What is with Disneyland Paris' hotels? Across the Disney empire, hotels of this type are classified as deluxe properties and are priced as such. Disneyland Paris is no exception there. However, the rooms have not been updated since 1992 (Sequoia Lodge exception) meanwhile Disney charges guests the same Deluxe prices as rooms at Disney World, Disneyland, etc. Why should the customer have to pay for a "deluxe" room while gaining a product that has been outdated for nearly 10 years? If they choose not to update, at least lower the room costs but since they charge that much, guests deserve a 2012 styled room. It also is a shame that all of these hotels were designed by world renowned architects while Disney lets them fall into disrepair.

Disneyland Hotel

Our room at the Disneyland Hotel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

vs.

Tokyo Disneyland Hotel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Disney's Hotel New York

Hotel room | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

vs.

Disney's Sequoia Lodge

vs.

Disney's Newport Bay Club

vs.

• Dagobert
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2007

Re: What's With The Hotels???

I know what you mean.

When we have been to WDW and stayed at the Pop Century, we were amazed that the cheapest options are nicer than the moderate hotels at DLRP.

Even the updated Sequoia Lodge rooms do not reach the quality of the Disney hotels around the world.

Currently Disney is renovating the Santa Fe and the Sequoia Lodge. SL should be finished in summer. No one would pay that prices when staying somewhere else in Europe.

However the average occupancy rate of 87% isn't bad.

Comment

• Fultimate
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2012

Each of the seven Disneyland Paris' hotels will be renovated. Tree hotels (Sequoia Lodge, Santa Fe and Davy Crockett Ranch) are currently in refurbishment. Every of the seven Disney hotels will look new and pretty.
      Last edited by Fultimate; 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• WDW1971
        Suspended
        • Jul 2011

One of the things that also bothers me about the hotels of Disneyland Paris are their lobbies. They are great spaces but they desperately need more/newer furniture. Take for example the Disneyland Hotel's lobby:

Disneyland Hotel Lobby, view from staircase | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel Lobby | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Grand Floridian Lobby | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If Disneyland Paris were to add a marble walkway around the perimeter of the lobby, replaced the carpet floors, add some built in planters and some defined, distinguished seating areas, then the lobby would look so much better. To me it looks to empty now and definitely tired.

Comment

• Dagobert
          MiceChatter
          • Feb 2007

WDW1971, I just realized that you compared the Sequoia Lodge with the Grand Californian. That's a bit unfair, because the first one is a moderate, while the GC is a deluxe hotel.

But in general the DLP hotels are underwhelming compared to their US counterparts.

Comment

• WDW1971
            Suspended
            • Jul 2011

Alright Dagobert, I always thought of Sequoia Lodge as being a deluxe property while Hotel Cheynee was the moderate resort and Hotel Santa Fe is the value property.
            Here's a picture of Port Orleans Resort Riverside:

Comment

• Dagobert
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2007

As far as I know DLH and HNY are deluxe, while NPBC and SL are moderate and CH and SF are value.

I don't know if it has already been changed, but two years ago the HNY still didn't have flat screen TVs.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                Surfin the net with Duffy
                • Jul 2007

Glad you brought this up, it has always disturbed me that they charge the insane rates and they honestly besides a "soft rehab" the rooms have not had a "hard rehab" in 20 years. Compared to WDW who does soft rehabs every 5-6 years and a hard rehab every 10 years. And the rates that they charge for the Disneyland Paris Hotel it should have had several hard rehabs over the past 20 years including the lobby. Not that I encourage this, but they certainly could share interior design resources of some of the WDW hotels.

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
                We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
                Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

• Fultimate
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2012

In Disney's Newport Bay Club (3 stars hotel) you have the air conditionning. In Disney's Yacht Club (4 stars hotel) you don't.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                    • Jul 2007

Huh? YC has A/C. along with queen pillow top beds and separate vanity and bathing area.

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

Comment

• jml338
                      JML
                      • Apr 2005

I am also glad somebody is mentioning it.

Last time I went to the HNY, I was shocked by the aspect of the room. Everything seemed to be so old and run down.

On top of this, the swimming pool was not opened the morning. I could not believe it, especially considering the price.

After going to the WDW Dolphin (which was way cheaper even with the airplane ticket included !!!!!), I decided to not go to Paris again until they clean up their act.
                      Last edited by jml338; 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM. Reason: Tons of mistakes...
                      Jeanmi

Comment

• WDW1971
                        Suspended
                        • Jul 2011

Disneyland Paris, like the rest of the Disney parks around the globe, are supposed to be top notch in respect to their quality and services. There is no excuse for DLP to charge so much for rooms that do not warrant the cost. Even the partner hotels are cheaper and provide a much more updated space.

The Disney name will only go so far. If these hotels were located anywhere else in the world, customers will have stopped paying for rooms like this and renovation would have been completed 10 years ago.

Why is the Disneyland Hotel in California, whose rooms did not seem that much worse than the Disneyland Hotel Paris and were completely remodeled in 2001 getting a brand new look only 10 years after their renovation?

---------- Post added 02-22-2012 at 09:21 PM ----------

Heck, even the Paradise Pier hotel got new carpeting, bedspreads, and couch fabric after only 10 years. What's wrong with Disneyland Paris?

Comment

• Dagobert
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2007

Here are some pictures of the new Santa Fe hotel rooms:

Foto's Hotelkamer Santa Fe | Facebook

Even the renovated rooms look worse than most Disney rooms in the US. However people are excited about that. It looks like a bedroom for children, but given the fact that DLRP only focuses on under 10 year olds, it's the right choice. Take a look on that cheap metal wall next to the door. I think DLRP is still using the curtains for the shower. I don't know when I have been to a hotel that used shower curtains and I have been to many hotels in the last two years.

---------- Post added 02-23-2012 at 09:09 AM ----------

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
                          Disneyland Paris, like the rest of the Disney parks around the globe, are supposed to be top notch in respect to their quality and services. There is no excuse for DLP to charge so much for rooms that do not warrant the cost. Even the partner hotels are cheaper and provide a much more updated space.
                          Totally true. The partner hotels are much better than Disney. I have never stayed in one of the partner hotels, but I have stayed in several Vienna International hotels throughout Europe and they are much better than the Disney hotels for less money. The same company operates two hotels at DLRP, the VI Magic Circus and the VI Dream Castle.

The Disney name will only go so far. If these hotels were located anywhere else in the world, customers will have stopped paying for rooms like this and renovation would have been completed 10 years ago.
                          Again, so true. I would never pay that prices somewhere else.

Why is the Disneyland Hotel in California, whose rooms did not seem that much worse than the Disneyland Hotel Paris and were completely remodeled in 2001 getting a brand new look only 10 years after their renovation?

Heck, even the Paradise Pier hotel got new carpeting, bedspreads, and couch fabric after only 10 years. What's wrong with Disneyland Paris?
                          Because ED SCA hardly makes any money and so they can't renovate the hotels without making more debts. However they cahrge premium prices for low quality, but as long as people pay the prices, they will not change anything. Fortunately Disney started to renovate the rooms, but they still don't look as nice as in the US.

I've stayed at the following Disney hotels so far:

WDW: Pop Century
                          DLRP: Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge

The Pop was the cheapest and the best Disney hotel. The Sequoia Lodge, which is a moderate hotel, is really beautiful, but the rooms, or at least our room, were ugly.
                          Last edited by Dagobert; 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• WDW1971
                            Suspended
                            • Jul 2011

Carpet and new bed spreads do not really costs that much money. If they were to remodel the rooms, they could warrant raising the price per night since the product will be better. I read in general for a hotel that for a $100 room, it actually costs the hotel only $30 to run the room for a night, meaning they make a $70 profit each night per room. To remodel a room would be probably only $1000-$2000 if they replace carpet, curtains, TVs and bedspreads.

If it costs Disneyland Paris $60 to run a room for a night (because they are supposedly "resort" hotels with more amenities) and they charge $200 per night, they make a nightly profit per room of $140. After two weeks of lodgers, they would have more than enough money to remodel the rooms and could even then charge $250 per night.

It takes money to make money and if they want to make the most money, they got to update the rooms. It's the resort's 20th anniversary and the rooms still look exactly the same (actually the park sort of looks the same too) - sad.

Comment

• Dagobert
                              MiceChatter
                              • Feb 2007

If it costs Disneyland Paris $60 to run a room for a night (because they are supposedly "resort" hotels with more amenities) and they charge $200 per night, they make a nightly profit per room of $140. After two weeks of lodgers, they would have more than enough money to remodel the rooms and could even then charge $250 per night.

It takes money to make money and if they want to make the most money, they got to update the rooms. It's the resort's 20th anniversary and the rooms still look exactly the same (actually the park sort of looks the same too) - sad.
                              You have to give the park some credit, because Disney did a lot to improve the park during the last year. After reading all the updates on WDW here on Micechat, I would even say that some parts of DLP are better now than at WDW. Given the financial situations of WDW and DLRP, the US resort should be in a much better condition. DLR is far from being perfect, but at least Disney is refurbing the resort.

I also don't understand why Disney isn't planning to build a new hotel. I mean the occupancy rate is nearly 90%, so there is no room for more and so Disney can't make more money than with increasing the room rates. In my opinion that will backfire, because the quality doesn't justify that. It doesn't need to be a big hotel, maybe 500 rooms. According to Philippe Gas, CEO of ED SCA, DLRP needs another deluxe hotel, because these kind of rooms are requested the most.

Comment

• WDW1971
                                Suspended
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dagobert View Post
                                You have to give the park some credit, because Disney did a lot to improve the park during the last year. After reading all the updates on WDW here on Micechat, I would even say that some parts of DLP are better now than at WDW. Given the financial situations of WDW and DLRP, the US resort should be in a much better condition. DLR is far from being perfect, but at least Disney is refurbing the resort.
                                I did not mean it like that. I am glad that they are refurbishing most of the park to make it almost brand new. I meant that they have not really added any new attractions within the past few years like other parks have added.
                                Originally posted by Dagobert View Post
                                I also don't understand why Disney isn't planning to build a new hotel. I mean the occupancy rate is nearly 90%, so there is no room for more and so Disney can't make more money than with increasing the room rates. In my opinion that will backfire, because the quality doesn't justify that. It doesn't need to be a big hotel, maybe 500 rooms. According to Philippe Gas, CEO of ED SCA, DLRP needs another deluxe hotel, because these kind of rooms are requested the most.
                                If occupancy is really up then they can afford to remodel the rooms, there's no excuses if there is a 90% occupancy rate. If they need a new deluxe hotel, they could remodel the Sequoia Lodge or Newport Bay Club with deluxe materials and can build a new moderate-value hotel since it would be cheaper to build one of those bracket hotels than to built a brand new deluxe hotel.

Comment

• Dagobert
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Feb 2007

ED SCA wants to build a new deluxe hotel near the parks, at least that's what Mr. Gas said in a round table discussion last autumn. I agree with you that a remodeling of the existing hotels would be cheaper.

Since 2007 Disney has added only new attractions to WDSP. They added ToT, Crush's Coaster, Cars Race Rally and that stupid TSPL. I hope DLP will also get something new in the next years. A Ratatouille insired ride is coming to WDSP in 2014, but it seems DLP is still left behind.

Comment

• WDW1971
                                    Suspended
                                    • Jul 2011

Also if they build a brand new hotel, in comparison the hotels that are there will look really run down in comparison to a brand new one. If they built one, all of the other hotels will require significant remodels, especially the Disneyland Hotel if it is supposed to be the most deluxe property.

Comment

• paterdave2
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Apr 2011

Please tell me what partner hotel is cheaper.
                                      I have been to Santa Fe 5 or 6 times now and everytime I check all other hotels will cost me a lot moe.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                                        • Jul 2007

again all those DLP hotels look like dumps to my standards. I would rather stay in Paris.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X