• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimmyTimmyTimmy
    Banned User
    • Dec 2008

[Other] Open Letter To DLP

While surfing the web I happened to find an open letter to Disney. It has some interesting pictures that I am going to show you as well. Every site that has to do with DLP brings up the subject of the park in a very bad state. How can Disney not act... NOW? Why do I post this here? So that Disney can read it and because there are a few intresting pictures that came with it. Take a look.

Here is the letter:

"Dear Disney

At the beginning of August, I visited Disneyland Paris with my girlfriend and a friend of us. This wasn't the first time, that I've been here. Back in 2005 and around 1997 I visited Paris and Disneyland. In 2003 I was at Disneyland in California and in the year 1995 was the first time I went to Disneyland (California as well). This summer I've also been to Europa Park in Germany, Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the UK and Alton Towers, which is also located in the UK. Besides that I've been various times to Universal Studios, Six Flags and many water parks. Just to give you an idea of how many times I've been to a theme park or similar attraction.

What I've seen at the beginning of August, was just one bad experience I would like to forget as fast as possible. I was truly disappointed by what the management has made of Disneyland Paris!

First of all, the park is in VERY bad shape in my opinion. There are countless places which need refurbishment. In pictures 1-7 you can see some examples. In picture 6, there is obviously something wrong with the gardening job and the various fences and handrails show, that paint jobs are desperately needed. Steel supports are rusting, everywhere. The floors are cracking open all over the place, inside and outside. Signs are in bad shape too, check out picture 8 (the one with the leg... sorry about that). What could it possibly cost to replace such a sign? It does seem to be ancient. Another example of a sign can be seen in picture 9. People are trying to peel off stickers as souvenirs. Of course this happens everywhere, but things like that need immediate replacement.
    Picture 10 and 11 give an idea in what condition the studio tour ride is. Image 12 and 13 show the waiting area of one of the newer rides. Some kind of sealing gasket is coming off the ceiling (it would just take a ladder to fix that...) and the lamp that can be seen in the pictures hasn't seen cleaning in ages. There is one picture which shows that refurbishment at a building is being done, which is totally ok... but does it need to be during high season in the middle of summer??

Secondly, there are countless closed restaurants. See further attached pictures. I'd say about half of the restaurants and food stations were closed during the day. Mind you, we visited during high season on a Saturday! At some restaurants we got discounts that where valid at specific times in specific restaurants. However, you had to find one that was open.

Third and probably the most frustrating issue was the condition of the rides. Have a look at the attached screenshots of the official Disneyland Paris app which contains the ride queue times and statuses. This is just an example of how the app was looking during that day. Space Mountain for instance, was down countless times. Also the latest attraction "Ratatouille" was barely up and running. In one of the pictures you see staff sending people away. If you had equally as much technicians, maybe your rides would be in better shape.
    In another picture you see an employee "posing" for me after I asked him to take a picture of him in front of a closed ride. One picture shows the empty cart of that same ride which they had to send through for an hour to test things. Fasttrack has been closed at most attractions as well during that day. We couldn't figure out a reason for that, especially since it was for attractions like "Ratatouille".

The fourth thing, which was very disappointing is, that the park has been deserted of Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and all the others. We did not see a single character in the park during our 13.5 hours (!) visit to Disneyland Paris! How is something like that possible in Disneyland? Even at Blackpool Pleasure Beach they have Sponge Bob running around and Europa Park is full of various characters!

What needs to be said as well, is, that the rides of Disneyland Paris are completely outdated and the newer ones are not enjoyable because of their technical issues. It seems over twenty years ago, there has been given a Disneyland to Europe and it has been kept in it's "original shape" ever since, minus the much needed refurbishment.

My impression of Disney and the whole feeling I had about Disneyland has been totally destroyed. The Walt Disney Company should consider of taking away the Disney label from that park and park management should just continue running an amusement park, but this is NOT a Disneyland. It's a disgrace to all that is and especially ever has been, Disney.

Last but not least it needs mentioning, that you get all this at a price of €88 whereas for example the Europa Park (which is a far superior experience) costs €41.

On the positive side, this has motivated me to go to the United States in 2015 to experience the real Disney again and not this sorry excuse of what this place has become.

Kind regards
    a loyal Swiss Disney customer"

Click image for larger version

Name:	disneyland-park (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	7376008

Name:	disneyland-park (2).jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	7376009

Name:	disneyland-park (3).jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	7376010

Name:	disneyland-park (4).jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	7376011

Name:	disneyland-park (5).jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	7376012

Name:	disneyland-park (6).jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	7376013

Name:	disneyland-park (7).jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	7376014

Name:	disneyland-park (8).jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	7376015

Name:	disneyland-park (9).jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	7376016

Name:	disneyland-park.jpg
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	7376017

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 11-06-2014, 09:45 PM.
  • mtlchuck
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2013

Re: Open Letter To DLP

A Great, Big Broken Down Tomorrow

This was published a bit less than two years ago and it shows that WDW, the "true Disney" this guy talks about, has had essentially the same maintenance problems that DLRP does, only with the first one being obscenely profitable.

I was there in 2012. I saw it myself. I honestly prefer some turned off Geyser effects knowing that the place has no money than **** like this in a rich place:

- Splash Mountain broken animatronics 1/22/12 - YouTube

Comment

• robbiem
      Hello
      • Jul 2009

The fact that more than one resort has problems is a sad day. Rather than comparing the relative 'merits of badness' from different resorts we should be challenging bad show and upkeep anywhere.

Comment

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
        Banned User
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
        A Great, Big Broken Down Tomorrow

This was published a bit less than two years ago and it shows that WDW, the "true Disney" this guy talks about, has had essentially the same maintenance problems that DLRP does, only with the first one being obscenely profitable.

I was there in 2012. I saw it myself. I honestly prefer some turned off Geyser effects knowing that the place has no money than **** like this in a rich place:

- Splash Mountain broken animatronics 1/22/12 - YouTube
        What has that to do with Disneyland in Paris?
        Besides the situation in DLP much more worse and can not be compared to how it is in WDW by far.

Comment

• mtlchuck
          MiceChatter
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
          What has that to do with Disneyland in Paris?
          Besides the situation in DLP much more worse and can not be compared to how it is in WDW by far.
          1. That they're both Disney brand parks offering a subpar Disney experience.

2. Maybe because they have NO MONEY?!

Like seriously what is so hard to get. Its like bullying the poor kid in school.

Comment

• rushtest4echo
            New MiceChatter
            • Aug 2013

only with the first one being obscenely profitable.
            Bingo... the WDW unit of Disney's empire makes obscene profits, and Disneyland Paris is a money pit. WDW can afford to let quality slip while maintaining strong brand loyalty, strong guest satisfaction numbers and strong profits. Disneyland Paris has never enjoyed any of those things, and continues to bleed money. From a business standpoint (which is what they both are), one is successful and the other is an utter failure- I think everyone can figure out which is which.

But that's fine, lets continue to dump billions into life support for the place so that they can have once a decade rehabs and continue to zombie along losing more money until we're at this junction by 2025, or even sooner.

The thing that really seems to stand out among the complaints I see everywhere is just how terrible the reliability is on their major attractions. People here in the states throw a massive fit when Test Track goes down for a few hours here and there, yet I see people mentioning that it's quite common to see 4 or 5 major rides down at a time and that it's just a normal occurrence. When Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Indy all break down at Disneyland on the same day- it's red alert, all hands on deck to solve the massive problem. But from what I've seen/read- this is just normal in Paris. I'm sure their issues stem from the same terrible upkeep that we see elsewhere around the parks there. They "dont have the money" to test and replace sensors before they fail- resulting in constant downtimes.

And seriously, what the HELL is wrong with their food service? How on earth to they constantly manage to keep a large amount of their restaurants closed even during the busy season. I get that it saves a bit of money to just force people to go to another over-crowded food service place across the park, but it totally ticks off the person who will probably end up remembering that experience and choosing not to eat at DLP from then on.
            Last edited by rushtest4echo; 11-07-2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• mtlchuck
              MiceChatter
              • Aug 2013

Well, then if you hate it so much because it is not up to you A1 standards... then just dont go. Nobody is forcing you to. You'll save time, money and energy.

Why are you so angry about it being a money pit if it is not your money that the company is losing.

Comment

• jcruise86
                former CM

• Jul 2006

Thank you, T.T.T.! Problems can't be solved till they are recognized.

And thanks to the "Loyal Swiss Customer" for posting this letter. But didn't Disney pretty much ignore the well-publicized petition that Europeans sent to Iger about Disneyland Paris? If you look at the # of E-tickets at WDW since Everest, it doesn't seem like (besides DCA's Carsland) that Iger has been an impressive steward of the Paris and American Disney parks.

Thank you Oriental Land Company for the 10 billion you will invest into your already outstanding Tokyo Disneyland resort over the next decade! In my opinion, another place to experience Disney outdoor entertainment at its best is on a Disney Cruise. The one we took to Alaska in 2013 was wonderful!

Comment

• jcruise86
                  former CM

• Jul 2006

Well, then if you hate it so much because it is not up to you A1 standards... then just dont go. Nobody is forcing you to. You'll save time, money and energy.

Why are you so angry about it being a money pit if it is not your money that the company is losing.
                  Not angry, Chuck. Just disappointed. We've seen better and it hurts to see something potentially great not living up to its potential.

Comment

• Imagineer45
                    MiceChatter
                    • May 2014

Disney really needs to take complete ownership of DLP to save it.

Comment

• rushtest4echo
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2013

It IS my money. I go to Disney parks all over the world (except for Paris, sadly), I see their movies, I buy their merchandise and I watch sports on ESPN. That money that Disney receives from me cannot be used to its fullest ability to make the company better when the have to dump more money into Paris. I mean honestly, what has been the total loss on the place if you count loans, interest, write offs, tax incentives and uncollected licensing fees? Now they need another billion and a half to stay afloat for a while until they'll need a billion more, like the billion that asked for a few years ago and the billions that were written off by creditors over the last two decades. Billions and billions into the toilet (pun not even intended but there you go, I'm sure plenty would consider it at this point- ugh)...

Comment

• mvmarrewijk
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Dec 2013

If disney wouldn't ask so much for their rights and ask extreme amounts of money for simple rides (like slinky dog) it would help a lot.

It's just to easy to think like that!

Comment

• rushtest4echo
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Aug 2013

They ask that amount from all international properties. Universal also charges a huge amount for their services to their international parks too. Again, this is business- if DLP can't play by the rules and turn a profit, why is it there?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X