Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone glad WDS was built?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is anyone glad WDS was built?

    Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather them have built a fantastic park, but in a way, for me anyway, it's been really interesting to watch how a park so bad, is being changed and expanded to make it into something that, if all the ideas go through, could actually be a better, and in my opinion more sensibly designed park than MGM. WDS and its expansion have certainly been a hot and interesting topic on the net too.

    Any thoughts?


    p.s. It's also a great park for armchaire imagineering lol

  • #2
    Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

    Well I really don't know.

    If I said yes... my reason would be that it really does have the potential to be a park worthy of sitting next to the prettiest Magic Kingdom in the world. As you said, it is really quite cool to see Disney eat humble pie and improve the park in ways that the park should have been built in the first place. And it's not a dire park... it could be worse.

    But then, if I said no... it would be because I'm always thinking about where the money could have been spent in Disneyland Park, and all around the resort. It would be because I sometimes believe the Studios should have been built at a later time (maybe around now instead of 2002) when better management was in place who could make better decisions - and the resort was more financially stable.

    One big shrug from me.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

    DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

    (VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

      I think by comparison it only makes DLP look better, so yes, I like it. On the other hand, it's kind of like having a cheap car parked on the front lawn of your fancy house.
      "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

      [FONT=Arial Narrow]

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

        Loving the car analogy! lol. Still, I don't think DP needs WDS to make it look good.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

          I think there were other reasons why WDSP had to be built, like datelines imposed for land used or losses of property. Also, they had hoped to improve hotel occupancy by having guests stay longer. But those are only things I have read somewhere.

          But like Speedway said, I would have preffered all that money went to improving DLP and keeping it maintained.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

            Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
            I think there were other reasons why WDSP had to be built, like datelines imposed for land used or losses of property. Also, they had hoped to improve hotel occupancy by having guests stay longer. But those are only things I have read somewhere.
            The land deals is the only reason I could think of anybody being happy with the building of the second gate. I think it is safe to say nearly bankrupting yourself is considered bad. On a side note, does anybody know the specifics of the land deal and if Euro Disney's been able to get out of the third gate?
            Last edited by lazyboy97O; 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

              I have to say yes, because they gave me a job there! lol!

              From a more objective point of view, I'm with Speedway on this. It would have been great to see the money spent on the Disneyland Park (I'm thinking Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure here), but WDSP isn't a terrible park in its own right. It just stinks of wasted opportunities which, happily, are now being put right.

              So I'm going to be positive and say I'm glad the park was built.
              Originally posted by fizzog
              Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                The land deals is the only reason I could think of anybody being happy with the building of the second gate. I think it is safe to say nearly bankrupting yourself is considered bad. On a side note, does anybody know the specifics of the land deal and if Euro Disney's been able to get out of the third gate?
                the land deal, was that Disney was supposed to open a second gate before or in 2002, so that is the only reason for the low budget of the park... a budget which was originaly planned and allready been greet lit for Splash Mountain (which is now rumored to be built as the mystery water ride as soon as the ToT opens).

                a third gate (read: THEMEPARK) is to be built before 2017, or again loss of land is imminent... this is rumored to be either an epcot like park or a more european like Animal Kingdom, although the latter is more likely according to the more recent rumors...

                also there's an indoor waterpark in the rumormill, but this is pure an extra and does not count as a solution for the third gate/land deal.

                and now what I think about the studios;
                Looking from a professional point of view (i'm an Audiovisual Technician) the park is GREAT... probably the best themed movie park around, as it represent a working studio, rather than a ictional moviestudio from the past.... it IS too small though, but they're are working on it...
                it actually hurts my heart to see that they are doing a MK-treatment on the park, making it more fairytale like.... which is not a bad thing globaly, since most people see the studios as badly themed as they mistake the movie set thems for roughly and mostly badly finished Disneylandpark theming (the props and decors that make the set are as they are in real life, wood panels with theming on the front and no finishing on the back)...

                BUT I am very happy with the new projects that are currently being built AND the ones after that (the tram tour redirection and new sets for the tour, among with land clearing between the tour and the park).

                I personaly can't wait for Crush's Coaster and the Tower, it saves me the cost of an airplane ticket to L.A. just to ride ToT (this december I can get a preview of it though, since we'll be in Anaheim again)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                  WDSP's problem is no money. A movie park is awesome because it allows them to make movie-based attractions without having to throw them in Fantasyland or put them in another land and risk the atmosphere.

                  At least it's not DCA's problem, which was that there was money and a bummer of an idea at the outset. I'm still not sure why they didn't just keep most of the parking, build a slightly bigger mall than they did, and the hotel and invest the rest into DL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                    Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                    WDSP's problem is no money. A movie park is awesome because it allows them to make movie-based attractions without having to throw them in Fantasyland or put them in another land and risk the atmosphere.

                    At least it's not DCA's problem, which was that there was money and a bummer of an idea at the outset. I'm still not sure why they didn't just keep most of the parking, build a slightly bigger mall than they did, and the hotel and invest the rest into DL.
                    the probelm with this though is that they wanted people to spend more time at the California resort, and one park jus wouldnt do it. So they built another park that although many disney fans dislike it, i htink it does accomplish its goal to some extent
                    I am sure people are staying longer to experience both parks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                      Originally posted by Speedway View Post


                      It would be because I sometimes believe the Studios should have been built at a later time (maybe around now instead of 2002) when better management was in place who could make better decisions - and the resort was more financially stable.
                      Problem is have we actually got better management in place, as CEO of Euro Disney back then was Jay Rasulo who is now in charge of the entire Disney parks operation.

                      And to answer the question is anyone happy the Studios ever got built,well answer yes and no.If the Studios had not been built we would all be sat here moaning why Disney hadn't bothered building a second park,however with it now being built it gives everyone a good couple of hours on each visit to check out the good attractions this park has got,and giving people a break from the Disneyland Parc.However Im not glad its built in its current form as it just makes Disney look cheap.
                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                        The sad truth is that an American brand centric "Outlet Mall" could have been more profitable and more popular than WDS. One of the biggest missing components missing from the resort that most all other great resorts or cities have (even vegas) is great retail experiences. Even a mega store. Could you imagine a Frontierlandish Bass Pro Shop out there? Awesome and probably a huge draw. As down market as these suggestions are, they would please the guest and be executed to their fullest extent and exceed expectations, not underwhelm.
                        "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

                        [FONT=Arial Narrow]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                          Are you forgetting the Val d'Europe shopping centre? I think that counts as a great retail exeprience.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                            Originally posted by Cousin Orville View Post
                            The sad truth is that an American brand centric "Outlet Mall" could have been more profitable and more popular than WDS. One of the biggest missing components missing from the resort that most all other great resorts or cities have (even vegas) is great retail experiences. Even a mega store. Could you imagine a Frontierlandish Bass Pro Shop out there? Awesome and probably a huge draw. As down market as these suggestions are, they would please the guest and be executed to their fullest extent and exceed expectations, not underwhelm.
                            Paul Pressler is that you?
                            Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                              Originally posted by jortlaban View Post
                              a third gate (read: THEMEPARK) is to be built before 2017, or again loss of land is imminent... this is rumored to be either an epcot like park or a more european like Animal Kingdom, although the latter is more likely according to the more recent rumors...
                              I cant see them building an Animal Kingdom park in paris because that woould require some exotic plants and they couldnt build a jungle cruise there because of how cold it can get and that would damage the fauna, they would have the same problem with a park, but on a much grander scale.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                                To answer your question, Yes

                                Disneyland: 1998, 2005

                                Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                                  Originally posted by CowofDisney View Post
                                  I cant see them building an Animal Kingdom park in paris because that woould require some exotic plants and they couldnt build a jungle cruise there because of how cold it can get and that would damage the fauna, they would have the same problem with a park, but on a much grander scale.
                                  Don't you mean flora? Just kidding with you and yes I agree. An Animal Kingdom would not be suitable unless they were to cover the entire park, which would be insanely expensive. I don't really see them building a DisneySea either, but that's just my opinion.
                                  Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                                    I think an Epcot-esque park wouldn't go a miss, but it would certainly not be a clone.

                                    I drew up some plans for such a park greatly different in structure, and it did not feature World Showcase. The lands would become pavillions such as Transport Pavillion, (Test Track, Soarin' - not at the studios), Our Planet Pavillion (sheltered like the Eden Project), (Conservation Station - an attraction with Lion King characters, Tropical River Cruise - not jungle cruise, the animals are real), Space Pavillion, (Mission: Space), Communication Pavillion, (Spaceship Earth (with a new name and updated, but that sort of thing anyway lol), TalkZone, (a cross between the post-show fo It's A Small World and the BT thing at the Millenium Dome - anyone remember that?!? lol), and Blue Planet Pavillion, (The Living Seas (in a totally different form that'd take too long to explain in these brackets), Submarine Adventure (a cross between Sea Oddeysey at Port Aventura and Submarine Voyage).

                                    Sorry about the long post, just my ideas.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                                      Walt Disney Studios Paris is just crap from one end to the other AS A PARK.
                                      It has some very good attractions (not many), but little else to commend it. It fails on every level.

                                      The winter weather and pissing rain make it very unlikely that an Animal Kingdom style park could be built. It's too cold, too rainy, and who the hell is going to walk around in that to look at outdoor animal exhibits? Not happening.

                                      The whole complex is such a mess! Disneyland Paris is a great park but poorly maintained. The new park next to it is a turd. As the other poster noted, there is no good shopping within walking distance. The hotel rooms are too damn expensive. And, I'm sorry, but the French cast members just don't cut it (and I like the French!).

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Is anyone glad WDS was built?

                                        Originally posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
                                        And, I'm sorry, but the French cast members just don't cut it (and I like the French!).
                                        Ok I agree more or less with everything else Mara but not when it comes to your coments about the French Cast Members who I've always throught were excelent.The Disney Cast Members that just don't cut it now days are the ones at WDW serving food in the fast food resturants, who are at most times increadibly rude and ignorant.Only decent CM's that work food are the high schoolers who are happy to be working at WDW and have the Disney experience.

                                        My experiences with the French Cast Members have always been good,perhaps you'd like to go more into detail about why you feel the Cm's of Paris don't cut it ?

                                        And by the way anyone who feels my coments about WDW CM's was wrong then feel free to prove me wrong on my next visit in Feb.Good Customer Service doesn't hurt anyone!
                                        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X