This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best features of DP

So, what are the features that make Disney Paris so unique compared to Florida, California, Tokyo, etc?
    I'm going this December, and... I don't know, I'm getting this impression that this might be the least spectacular of all the parks, but I can be really wrong...

What can you tell me?

Re: Best features of DP

The only complaint I have about DLP is the cleanliness and the guests. The lack of a smoking ban and the fact that most guests seem a bit rude and totally uncaring when it comes to respecting the park and other guests' rights bugs me terribly about this DL park in particular. The lack of cleanliness is another factor that brings the whole experience a huge notch down for me.
    With that said... DLP is one heck of a park. Specatcular in architecture, rides and overall feel. Simply the most realized DL park out of the gate. Too bad it was built in the wrong country. But other than that, you will find it to be a much more enjoyable park overall...than say, the MK.

You will be pleasantly surprised I think.

Comment

You are really wrong. It is actually quite a singular park.

Ah, time for rosy prose!

Though somewhat dilapidated* by bad weather, very bad luck and really bad taste**, it still radiates the boundless and giddy ambition Imagineering possessed in that fine, much simpler age. This is a park that was built with great expectations, for an imagined audience much more critical and mature than those of its predecessors — and for this the wheel was reinvented a thousand times over. It is the world's largest such park, but not a nook or cranny has been withheld the creativity that emerges when a team of skilled people hold complete trust in a concept and in the future as well as loads and loads of money.

And I believe there's a second park nowadays. You'll know you're near when you see a crowd of poor souls who look like they're about to be conned out of €50.

In short, and unquestionably more extremely than in any other piece of Disney-owned real estate, you'll find mind-boggling quality and absolutely spectacular atrocities in the same place, often in juxtaposition. In other words, even if nothing turns out to be your cup of tea, it will at the very least be quite fascinating, haha.

*Mention necessary for court transcript and TDLFAN's lawyers.
      **I.e. avoid Halloween at all costs.
      Last edited by pussnboots; 10-08-2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
        but not a nook or cranny has been withheld the creativity that emerges when a team of skilled people hold complete trust in a concept and in the future as well as of loads and loads of money.
        You mean like Tokyo DisneySea? Sorry, I just couldn't resist!:lol:

Back on topic, I think Disneyland Parc as they call it nowadays is simply charming and radiates a different kind of atmosphere than the other Magic Kingdoms. It has the most beautiful design out of the Magic Kingdoms, but I think there's something lacking that prevents this from becoming as fantastic a park as Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland. Maybe it's because I didn't feel the "magic" like I did at other Disney parks? Or maybe because I didn't really see any mind blowing attraction there, as opposed to Indy at Disneyland and Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland. Like TDLFAN said, there are quite a lot of issues with this park but it's still worth a visit to Paris.
        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Well, what makes it good?

Space Mountain - Annihilates all other space mountains, WAY better effects, WAY more exciting, WAy better story, WAY more beautiful, and this is the inferior SM: mission 2, let alone the one before!

Phantom Manor - Love it or Hate it. Some sayit is way better than HM as an overall experience, others disagree. I Love it.

Pirates of the Caribbean - no one can deny that this is the superior POTC (sword fighting AA's, o yeah)

Big Thunder - Again, faster, better, but currently closed.

Adventure Isle - TSI themed to Tropical adventures, just beautiful.

Endless little gems (Dragon in the castle, Nautilus, Alice's labyrinth etc.)

Plain beautiful park, very well laid out park, endless detail. I love this park so much (the only park that could rival it is TDS, whcih has pretty much the same qualities)

Downsides.......Can't think of many.....CM's aren't as friendly (or in your face) as American CM's, park is sometimes a bit dirty.

DLP is great.

(shame about the park next door.)

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio View Post
            Well, what makes it good?
            - I think our Sleeping Beauty Castle is the most beautiful Disney castle.
            - Liberty Arcades and Discovery Arcades are just fantastic (some people still don't know where they are...).
            - Discoveryland overall architecture.
            - All the hidden places and small paths.

Everything else make it good in fact.

Drawback :
            - some CM (however if some CM are to blame, team leaders and persons in charge of recruitment at Disney are more to blame IMO).
            - Buzz, the only attraction built at the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio View Post
              (the only park that could rival it is TDS, whcih has pretty much the same qualities)

Except Tokyo DisneySea totally crushes it when it comes to theming and beauty. I don't think any theme park can match up to the elaborate design and the magnificent attention to detail, especially not a Magic Kingdom.

Comment

I wouldn't say it totally crushes it. Better, yes, but to say TDS and that superior is in my opinion, an overstatement, but we all have different opinions and I guess we're all biased about certain parks/resorts.

Comment

Why is BTM closed?

Comment

Originally posted by blaxx View Post
                    Why is BTM closed?
                    Refurb.

I simply cannot wait to go Disneyland Paris (TDLFAN, I'm working on Tokyo) next summer. Just from looking at the pictures and art for the place I can see that the Imagineers were simply let to run wild.

Comment

Pros:
                      Castle is GORGEOUS! Inside and out. Do the walk through upstairs, I so wish California's was like this one. And go see the dragon lair.
                      Space Mountain is much better than all the others.
                      Alice Labrynth and Tea Cups are beautiful
                      Thunder Mountain so cool to go under the lake and end up on the island in the middle.
                      Peter Pan has a fast pass. Use it!
                      Cons:
                      Phantom Manor was creepy weird, not creepy good on the inside. The grounds were REALLY cool though.
                      Indiana Jones was just plain painful on the head.
                      Pirates of the Caribbean was too short of a version.
                      Toad Hall is just a restraunt, not Mr Toad's Wild Ride
                      Too many smokers everywhere. I don't mind if you smoke, just do it in a designated area that I can avoid. Although I heard the French are trying to pass a no smoking in publc law. (Good luck with that if it's true.)

Comment

Re: Smoking ban coming up!

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                        The lack of a smoking ban
                        Things are going to change:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/eu...eut/index.html

:thumbup:
                        ----
                        Cheers,
                        Zarniwoop

Comment

Re: Smoking ban coming up!

Originally posted by Zarniwoop View Post
                          Things are going to change:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/eu...eut/index.html

:thumbup:
                          Really good! Wish they would also impose a smoking ban in the Netherlands.

Back on-topic:

DLP is fo me the most spectacular MK-style Disneypark. It is true that a specific DLP-attraction like the Indiana Jones Adventure in DL is missing, but the park makes this up big way:
                          - beautiful landscaping
                          - theming everywhere
                          - better versions of the good-old-DL-attractions;
                          POTC (longer and a more logical story and location)
                          Phantom Manor (aka Haunted Mansion) (much more of a "spooky-house", great location and theming around)
                          Space Mountain (really spectacular compared to the other ones)
                          Big Thunder Mountain (faster, on a beautiful island, full of surprises)
                          Beautiful Fantasyland
                          Spectacular castle
                          etc, etc.
                          - it combines the spaciness of WDW with the cosiness of DL

A lesser aspect is the lack of refurbushment on some parts and the fact that (expect for Buzz Lightyear) there has not been a real new attraction. But change is on the way. To prepare for the 15th birthday a lot of attractions and park-areas are getting refurbished. Including BTM, according to schedule this will re-open the 13th.

And personally I have got the feeling that in november (presentation of the fiscal results) they will announce some new attractions for the DLP-park. But maybe this is just wishfull thinking!
                          Last edited by Tommie; 10-10-2006, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aliasdisney View Post
                            Pros:
                            Castle is GORGEOUS! Inside and out. Do the walk through upstairs, I so wish California's was like this one. And go see the dragon lair.
                            Space Mountain is much better than all the others.
                            Alice Labrynth and Tea Cups are beautiful
                            Thunder Mountain so cool to go under the lake and end up on the island in the middle.
                            Peter Pan has a fast pass. Use it!
                            Cons:
                            Phantom Manor was creepy weird, not creepy good on the inside. The grounds were REALLY cool though.
                            Indiana Jones was just plain painful on the head.
                            Pirates of the Caribbean was too short of a version.
                            Toad Hall is just a restraunt, not Mr Toad's Wild Ride
                            Too many smokers everywhere. I don't mind if you smoke, just do it in a designated area that I can avoid. Although I heard the French are trying to pass a no smoking in publc law. (Good luck with that if it's true.)
                            Err... its exactly the same length as the CA one - 16mins. At least I think that's true.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not 16 like the CA one, I think it's about 10 or 12 minutes long with the scenes in a more logical order, (as well as abviousley AAs more advanced).

Comment

Originally posted by fizzog View Post
                                I'm pretty sure it's not 16 like the CA one, I think it's about 10 or 12 minutes long with the scenes in a more logical order, (as well as abviousley AAs more advanced).

Actually, I don't get why the caves are at the end instead of the beginning. It's very confusing to American tourists, who are used to believe the caves were letting you travel back in time. Now, it just seems out of place and confusing.

Comment

On the contrary, I find the caves position more logical as we see the Pirates pillaging and looting and so on and so forth, and then we find out their horrible fate. It's more chronological I suppose, whether you think that's good or bad lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                                    Actually, I don't get why the caves are at the end instead of the beginning. It's very confusing to American tourists, who are used to believe the caves were letting you travel back in time. Now, it just seems out of place and confusing.
                                    The queue at DLP is long, dark and winding enough to satisfy all your time travelling needs. Also, it wasn't made to make sense to American tourists.

However, it makes you wonder where they'll put Davy Jones if/when they do the movie overhaul...
                                    Last edited by pussnboots; 10-11-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I read somewhere (miceage/JimHillMedia ??) that the scene order in DL is partly a coincident. I think the story was something like this: POTC was first thought of as a walk-through. After the decission to make it a boat-ride, some scenes were added, but they couldn't fit it in the designated space for the previous walk-through. So they decided to place those scenes before the other scenes in a another building/space.

A little bit of googling and I found this website: www.etixland.com/PotC/POTCride1.htm
                                      It tells the story about POTC. And the scene order was really a sort of coincident!
                                      Last edited by Tommie; 10-13-2006, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X