X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milo_vhw
    • May 2005

Splash Mountain Paris !!!

On MiceAge there was an article about why there is no version of Splash Mountain in Disneyland Paris. The reason was that the weather wasn't appropriate. Visitors get wet and it's often cold in Europe so they get sick.

I think that's complete bull. I want a Splash Mountain in Paris!!! There are plenty of Splash Mountain alike water rides in Europe (all Six Flags parks, Walibi's, WB Movie World have one) and they are all very successful. I enjoy them very much and think it will be great to ride such a ride with all the Disney magic.
    There's also plenty of room in the Disneyland Park (Frontierland), so please Karl Holz make us happy!

Who's with me...
    - Milo
  • Speedway
    Former Epcot CM
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by milo_vhw
    On MiceAge there was an article about why there is no version of Splash Mountain in Disneyland Paris. The reason was that the weather wasn't appropriate. Visitors get wet and it's often cold in Europe so they get sick.

I think that's complete bull. I want a Splash Mountain in Paris!!! There are plenty of Splash Mountain alike water rides in Europe (all Six Flags parks, Walibi's, WB Movie World have one) and they are all very successful. I enjoy them very much and think it will be great to ride such a ride with all the Disney magic.
    There's also plenty of room in the Disneyland Park (Frontierland), so please Karl Holz make us happy!

Who's with me...
    Um, actually, it isn't complete bull. I live in the UK, and in an area which is about the equivalent of Disneyland Paris' location weatherwise, and we have two major theme parks near us. Both have water rides, and yes, they are good fun, but it takes quite a while to DRY. Wet guests are miserable guests, wherever you are in the world. When I was at IOA last year, I was irritable for nearly an hour after riding the water ride there (the one with the Canadian Mountie, I always forget his name, Brendan Fraser played the live-action version of him). And that was a very sunny day.

On nearly all occasions that I have visited Disneyland Paris, the weather has been fantastic. I have only experienced the dreadful Continental weather once or twice, and that soon cleared up. But instead of another replica of a tried-and-tested ride, wouldn't it make more sense for Disneyland Paris to receive a brand new attraction - it would certainly put it above the other parks if it was well done.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• TDLFAN
      Banned User
      • Feb 2005

On MiceAge there was an article about why there is no version of Splash Mountain in Disneyland Paris. The reason was that the weather wasn't appropriate. Visitors get wet and it's often cold in Europe so they get sick. I think that's complete bull. Who's with me...
      That may or may not be bull, however... you guys in Paris will be lucky if you still have a DLRP a few years down the road. Don't hold your breath waiting for Splash to appear at DLP anytime soon. If the TOT ride doesn't turn that place around (doubtful) , I highly believe DLRP will not be in operation much longer afterwards. The money and crowds are simply not there to justify another E-ticket ride.

Comment

• Evil Minion
        wasting time
        • Jan 2005

Weather operating conditions @ Euro Disneyland are about the same as Tokyo Disneyland
        and they have Splash Mountain.

It can be done. The only thing that's preventing a Splash Mountain from coming to Marne La Vallee is $$$.

Comment

• TDLFAN
          Banned User
          • Feb 2005

Actually no. Weather conditions are not the totally the same. I am yet to see the ice that forms at DLP's waterfalls in the winter occur at TDL. Tokyo does not see the bitter cold (15F or lower) and constant snowing that I have seen at DLP in the wintertime. Paris, on the other hand, does not get as hot and humid as Tokyo does in the summer. I know because I have been to both resorts repeatedly during those seasons and have experienced both ends of the spectrum. Besides, TDL's Splash does have a smaller splash effect in concideration of guests in Japan, who tend to dress a bit better than the US counterparts. The only way a Splash would work at DLP would be to minimize the splash. But it comes down to $$$$. Splash won't come to Paris anytime soon, if ever.

Comment

• MiceMan
            That's Hawt
            • Jan 2005

Can't they adjust the ride so that guests don't get as wet? I know that has been done for other rides ....
            Originally posted by drunkmom
            this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

• WDW1974
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN
              That may or may not be bull, however... you guys in Paris will be lucky if you still have a DLRP a few years down the road. Don't hold your breath waiting for Splash to appear at DLP anytime soon. If the TOT ride doesn't turn that place around (doubtful) , I highly believe DLRP will not be in operation much longer afterwards. The money and crowds are simply not there to justify another E-ticket ride.
              You and I are usually on the same page, but I've got to disagree (strongly) to your conclusion. DLP isn't going anywhere. It's still the most visited tourist destination in Europe. And the crowds do go to the original park, they built a half-assed studios park and it's biting them in the butt (as it should). But if you think Disney is just going to shut down two theme parks, all those resorts (which are doing quite well now) and the Disney Village area and put a 'for sale' sign up, you're way off.

They'll restructure (and/or pour money into the place) until the cows come home before they'd ever admit defeat and close the place.

Just not gonna happen, my friend.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                Banned User
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WDW1974
                Allow me to have my dream sequence, please?

Comment

• soundtracker
                  Rock The World
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by fizzog
                  Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Comment

• milo_vhw
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                    So you are saying that Disney will only invest in the Studio's. You are saying that they want DLRP to be profitable, just by buying new rides for the Studio's. I think that's very illogical. The Disneyland Park is still the better Park and will be, if they also improve the park. And that's what they're doing. There will be a Buzz Lightyear ride in Discoveryland soon! It may be cheaper then a Splash Mountain, but you see they're also still investing in the Disneyland Park.
                    And indeed with slight adjustments (smaller splash), Splash Mountain will fit perfectly in the Disneyland Park!
                    - Milo

Comment

• tloolgb
                      Internet.Serious Business
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by soundtracker
                      The reason it wasn't built was simply because Jay Rasulo (then head of the resort) was given the choice between new rides and a new park. Guess which one he picked?
                      I don't think that is fair. Under Pressler, DLP was told it was time to develope for it's second park. Eisner's goal was 2002-2003 to be the final year in a rapid expansion of all four resorts. Rasulo was given his operating budget under Pressler, who constantly tried to kill things. Muppets, Buzz, all were killed off from the original plans. Aladdin was thrown into the studios by Rasulo to give something for the kids to do.

Comment

• Disney Vault
                        • Apr 2005

I read on a site that Disney had to build a second park on that land or else someone else woul dbe allowed to buy it and build something. So Disney decided to build a cheap park just so they could keep the land. Is that true?

Comment

• Evil Minion
                          wasting time
                          • Jan 2005

I don't know if that's completely true because (to my knowledge) they already owned the land. I was told when The Walt Disney Co. signed the "Creation & Operation Of Euro Disneyland" contract in March of 1987, the contract stated that the Euro Disney Resort have three operating theme parks by 2017. So perhaps that's one of the reasons why the studio park came instead.

I doubt the resort will close since it's the top employer of the Paris region of France, but until the original construction debt is paid off and Parc Walt Disney Studios turns a profit, it seems unlikely that any major rides will be coming to Parc Disneyland in the next few years.

Comment

• figment1986
                            Banned User
                            • Jan 2005

I would love to see a version of the ride in the future... but as said.. they are still in debt from original building... let them get smaller cheaper rides whihc will also attract people like Buzz will do and toon studios will.. then build a new E-ticket ride...

(remember.. the half-park needs more childrens rides as well..)

Comment

• milo_vhw
                              • May 2005

Studio's is part of a Resort

Originally posted by Evil Minion
                              ....but until the original construction debt is paid off and Parc Walt Disney Studios turns a profit, it seems unlikely that any major rides will be coming to Parc Disneyland in the next few years.
                              Just some new rides won't make the Studio's turn a profit. They need more places to just... stay. There are no nice places where you can sit for a while before getting on another ride. There are not many restaurants where you can sit for a while either.
                              When you visit the Resort you also visit the Studio's even though it's small. So more people attracted to the Resort means more visitors for the Studio's as well. And Disney can get more people to the Resort for instance by building a new E-ticket ride like Splash Mountain in the Disneyland Park.
                              - Milo

Comment

• fkurucz
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WDW1974
                                You and I are usually on the same page, but I've got to disagree (strongly) to your conclusion. DLP isn't going anywhere. It's still the most visited tourist destination in Europe. And the crowds do go to the original park, they built a half-assed studios park and it's biting them in the butt (as it should). But if you think Disney is just going to shut down two theme parks, all those resorts (which are doing quite well now) and the Disney Village area and put a 'for sale' sign up, you're way off.

They'll restructure (and/or pour money into the place) until the cows come home before they'd ever admit defeat and close the place.

The exit costs would be staggering. They would basically have to write the whole place off if they closed (maybe they could salvage a few things for the other parks). Plus the costs associated with terminating the staff (no pink slips with a few weeks pay like in the US) would be huge.

I agree that they will limp along, with minimial future investment. Kind of like DL until recently

Comment

• fkurucz
                                  • Feb 2005

Just some new rides won't make the Studio's turn a profit. They need more places to just... stay. There are no nice places where you can sit for a while before getting on another ride. There are not many restaurants where you can sit for a while either.
                                  When you visit the Resort you also visit the Studio's even though it's small. So more people attracted to the Resort means more visitors for the Studio's as well. And Disney can get more people to the Resort for instance by building a new E-ticket ride like Splash Mountain in the Disneyland Park.

Interesting, since these can be added for much, much less than an E-ticket.

Comment

• fkurucz
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by soundtracker

3.) Cold weather has been counted on. The Japanese version of the ride has a special breaking system to allow for smaller splashes in cold weather. The same system will be used in Paris. Also, the stretch of water after the splashdown will be under cover, protecting riders from the worst of the elements.
                                    I'm not sure that I would want to get on any water ride that is partially outdoors when the temperature is below freezing. Then again, I can't imagine going to any DL when its that cold.

Comment

• milo_vhw
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by fkurucz
                                      Interesting, since these can be added for much, much less than an E-ticket.
                                      Very interesting indeed ! But more 'places to just stay' will only keep the visitors longer in the Studio's (so they spend more money ). It won't attract any. But a new E-ticket ride will!
                                      - Milo

Comment

• euro disney stefan
                                        • Jan 2005

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X