This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Mighty Party at DLRP

My friend and I from Orlando went to DLPR for their first go at "One Mighty Party", similar to the One Mighty Party held at WDW at the MGM park during the annual "gay days" pride events. They had scheduled performances by Gloria Gaynor and Mariah Carey, and had the entire Disneyland Park open, with all the rides - and they allowed the promotor to print the event name and schedule on a special park map for the evening - subtle nods that things are a little more accepting over in Europe.

A review of the event would be difficult to do without starting out with "it rained." Poor Maria and her backup dancers did their best, and the crowd was enthusiastic, but it wasn't exactly the same as the warmer summer evenings in Orlando. (even though this year it rained on Donna Summer down here as well, not as heavily).

I'd have to say that the marketing for this event must not have quite made the translation over there, as the attendance was not nearly what it is here. However, it was their first year, and to their credit, they didn't cut back on anything. It was actually more for your money than you get at the MGM version here where there are only 3 rides open (Star Tours, Rock and Roller, and Tower of Terror). The park was fully set up with bars everywhere you turned, so if it has been busy there would not have been long lines for drinks.

As well, the entire park was open, so we were able to ride all three coasters several times with no wait at all.

There were two dance areas set up, one in Frontierland, and the other by Space Mountain. However, since there weren't enough people in attendance, they were hardly being used, except that you could hear the music throughout the park.

I think what would have made the event more fun for the people that were there is if all the DJ and lights energy had been but into the area by the hub - because that's where all the people were really hanging out, waiting for the two mini-concerts. If everyone had been pumped up and dancing there in the middle, it would have felt more like the party here where they set up a big dance area in front of the sorcerer's hat at MGM.

Following the in park party was the after party, also following the format from Orlando. Held in a giant tent behind Discoveryland, it was like the one's held here at the Arabian Knights venue, lots of smoke lights and lasers. The only benefit to it was since it was indoors, it offered a releif from the rain. We stayed for about an hour for the 2nd part, but were basically tired out by that point.

I can only speculate on a couple reasons the attendance was low - first, it was the night before the Pride Parade in downtown Paris, which is totally free. We went, and it was attended by what must have been more than 10-20 thousand (I can only guess) and people filled the big Bastille Plaza where a DJ was entertaining at the end of the parade route. Second, I didn't get the impression Europeans spend money going to a "circuit party" the same way people do here. It seemed more like people were there for the concert, and not for a party. Third, I'm wondering if instead of two American pop artists, perhaps someone more locally famous would have attracted more people. Fourth, even though they were promoting it over here in early June, I have to admit the expensive price of airfare to Europe in the summer really made me reconsider several times before I finally bought my ticket.

I'll be curious to see if they try it again next year or not. If they do, and you're thinking about it, I'd certainly say they did a good job with it, its probably just something that needs to grow over time. I'll see if I can post a few pictures from the concert.

Re: One Mighty Party at DLRP

Last edited by jeffrey orl fla; 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM. Reason: to add 2 more pictures

Comment

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
      Roo
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Thanks, Jeffrey.

Looks like it has great potential.

Lu
        "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey orl fla View Post
          A review of the event would be difficult to do without starting out with "it rained." Poor Maria and her backup dancers did their best, and the crowd was enthusiastic, but it wasn't exactly the same as the warmer summer evenings in Orlando. (even though this year it rained on Donna Summer down here as well, not as heavily).
          Even if it was a clear evening for Mariah et all, it still would have not been the same... For starters.. Mariah does not reach Donna Summer's ankles in talent and vocal power. Period. Donna's performance elevated this year's MGM Party to astronomical heights. Maybe they would have done better in Paris if Donna Summer had been the headliner since she is still very much a respected star of legendary status.

Comment

I want pictures of Mariah!!! I love her so much. What did she perform?

Comment

DLRP.fr is producing a full coverage of the event (more pics coming soon) :
              http://www.dlrp.fr/dossiers/onemightyparty.php
              According to the article Johnny Chisholm and his staff are already preparing the 2008 edit of One Mighty Party.

Comment

Thanks so much for the report! Where did you stay at DLRP?

Comment

Mariah Carey at DLP is so fitting.

I have always thought her performances a little 'Mickey Mouse'

:lol:
                  WDW - 1987 & 1991
                  DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                  DLR - October 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    Even if it was a clear evening for Mariah et all, it still would have not been the same... For starters.. Mariah does not reach Donna Summer's ankles in talent and vocal power. Period. Donna's performance elevated this year's MGM Party to astronomical heights. Maybe they would have done better in Paris if Donna Summer had been the headliner since she is still very much a respected star of legendary status.
                    Dedication, huh.
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
                      Thanks so much for the report! Where did you stay at DLRP?
                      We stayed at the Sequoia Lodge. I liked it there - its close enough to walk to the parks - actually you can walk from all of them, some are just closer than others - no monorails or ferry boats. Sequoia Lodge is their version of the Wilderness Lodge, except no grand central lobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier View Post
                        DLRP.fr is producing a full coverage of the event (more pics coming soon) :
                        http://www.dlrp.fr/dossiers/onemightyparty.php
                        According to the article Johnny Chisholm and his staff are already preparing the 2008 edit of One Mighty Party.
                        Great pictures on the FR site. Merci!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
                          Dedication, huh.
                          Fact, actually.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X