This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Discoveryland' or 'The Affair of the Backside Removals'

Did the title intrigue you? I hope so. This is basically a thread about the current mish-mash (notice mish-mash not 'mess') that Discoveryland is. This is part discussion part armchair imagineering, at least on my part maybe.

First of all, Star Tours and HISTA need to go. Full stop (or period as y'all in the US say). HISTA needs just to go, it's not helping anyone and Star Tours needs to be ripped out and re-built, all new and 3D over in WDS' Backlot, behind R'n'RC where there was talk of Midway Mania. Is anyone with me on this? I just feel neither of these attractions work at the back of Discoveryland, one of them doesn't work at all anywhere right now. In their stead? Why that's easy, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, the ideal E-Ticket follow up for DLP. New technology, similar architecture to the rest of the land would work perfectly and a little touch of Tokyo could come to Paris in stead of the US. Anyone with me?

Second, and I know you're ALL gonna want this, From the Earth to the Moon: Space Mountain. We've been through all this before, the ease of the transition, the thematic integrity it would restore, the lack of harm making it a little smoother would do. Now you may be wondering why I did a 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' style title, and that's simply because I think the attraction should be called 'From the Earth to the Moon' with SM being a sub-title, I think this is much classier/more intriguing.

Ideally, Buzz dies, but it's not an ideal world and that probably won't happen...but if it ever did, if it burned down in a fire (yes, buzz is my no.1 on my 'burn in a fire to give oppertunity' list), who wants Soarin' Through Time? It already looks like Soarin' is experiencing some turbulence on www.wdsfans.com so maybe H.G.Wells' 'The Time Machine' can weadle its way into DLP? I can dream, and it could always go in another place if Buzz doesn't burn I guess.

Pizza Planet goes. End of.

Videopolis is parfait.

I think that covers everything. Maybe none of this stuff will ever happen, maybe some of it will. I'm pretty positive not all of it will but I can dream right?

Re: 'Discoveryland' or 'The Affair of the Backside Removals'

I love this idea. It would restore Discoveryland back to its former glory instead of the botched and hodgepodge of a land it is right now.
    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by fizzog View Post
      Ideally, Buzz dies, but it's not an ideal world and that probably won't happen..
      How about if Buzz were presented as a Victorian-era toy?

Comment

I think that Star Wars would be better situated in WDS - I suggest as a replacement for Armageddon. I think its about time that HISTA was renewed and if they used Philharmagic instead, it would fit better into Fantasyland or WDS. As for Buzz, I have mixed feelings. I like the ride and don't want to lose it but it does stick out like a sore thumb in Discoveryland. But where else to put it?
        The problem with DLP is that it has never retained its original theming completely in any of the lands. What has Tarzan to do with Frontierland? Or the Lion King with Discoveryland?
        WDW - 1987 & 1991
        DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
        DLR - October 2011

Comment

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
          I think that Star Wars would be better situated in WDS - I suggest as a replacement for Armageddon. I think its about time that HISTA was renewed and if they used Philharmagic instead, it would fit better into Fantasyland or WDS. As for Buzz, I have mixed feelings. I like the ride and don't want to lose it but it does stick out like a sore thumb in Discoveryland. But where else to put it?
          The problem with DLP is that it has never retained its original theming completely in any of the lands. What has Tarzan to do with Frontierland? Or the Lion King with Discoveryland?
          Buzz, despite of its oh-so modern theme, and despite of the fact that it replaced an attraction that did fit like a charm and had a devoted fan base, did not have to be the nuisance/odd one out it is today. A wonderful solution would have been to build a facade that somehow captured the spirit of Discoveryland whilst being whimsical enough for the ride behind it. But they didn't and pooped all over everything with that overlarge WDS-style marquee.

They also did not need to remove that wonderful animated da Vinci sculpture and its accompanying ceiling mural in favor of that bland sculpture of Buzz over at Constellations. There's no rule that says every ride should have a tourist trap gift shop. Constellations should have been left untouched.

Don't blame Buzz, blame DLRP.
          Last edited by pussnboots; 09-26-2007, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Meh same difference. I just think there is still a chance to 'fix' Discoveryland, ST and HISTA I'm pretty sure are on their way out, ST would be PERFECT for WDS and they could get back on track with the theme. SO MUCH DAMN POTENTIAL!

Comment

The thing is, Discoveryland was always a mish-mash of different themes. It was just executed well with one common link: different visions of the future. You had the entrance, Timekeeper, Videopolis, Space Mountain and the Nautilus forming the main Victorian body of Discoveryland. Then Autopia representing a vision of the future from the '50s, with the Orbitron acting as a sort of link between the two. And round the back of Space Mountain, there was the future envisaged by Hollywood with Star Tours and Captain EO.
              And yet everything worked together, maybe partly in due to the vague design similarities (every single attraction features spires of some sort). Right now, HISTA sort of fits alright (I just wouldn't want to go in it), Space Mountain looks alright (from the outside at least). In fact the only thing that is really out of place is Buzz.... and that's not clearly not going to change for a while.

Having said that, I personally would want Space Mountain: De la Terre a la Lune back, Buzz put where HISTA is (with a less flamboyant entrance) and Journey in place of Pizza Planet. Ooh! And they could have a 20K restaurant like originaly planned between Journey and Nautilus!:yea:

Oh wait, I have no creative control over Walt Disney Imagineering... forgot about that.

Comment

How we wish we did, there should be a MiceChat WDI takeover for a day lol

Comment

Basically, this is how I think Discoveryland should've been like:

Welcome to Discovery Island, where the world's greatest Science Fiction minds have gathered together to build the future! Hidden away in secret, on a remote volcanic island, industrial style building hide secrets of extreme importance to the modern world. You enter via a waterfall, through a bronze tunnel deep into the heart of the island. The first building you enter is the hall of visionnaires. Here, a huge dark dome, filled with projections of starts and planets, houses an array of futuristic exhibits. The winding corridors of the Hall, present special suprises. A huge Tesla Coil, powered by the heat of lava, crackles beside you, generating clean electricity. Further on, you enter a sitting room. Suddenly a lamp shudders, and a tin of red paint is knocked over. What the?!?!....there are footprints forming beside it. An invisible man maybe?

Outside, you are presented with an amazing sight! To your left, a beige and copper hangar houses a magnificent flying machine, and beneath that is the entrance to Around the World in 80 Day (soarin' overlay). Further to the right, are two more major discoveries! Orbitron's metallic blue and gold spokes whizz guests around planets. Behind it looms the Steel and Bronze cannon of From The Earth to The Moon. The great columbiad is perched upon a great rocky mound, pointinf 32 degrees skyward. Guests can walk beneath the great cannon, as it roars to launch guests into the Abyss of Space, encountering comets, showers, stars, and a vortex! (FTETTM is SM, but minus the mountain, being perched atop a rocky cliff face. The show-building is housed out of view). To the far right, is the mighty mount Prometheus, housing JTTCOTE and the Nautilus. Finally. Behind Mt. Prometheus, is the great Timekeeper, who attempts to push science's limits even further!

Comment

If only money was no object. I had a similar idea where Discoveryland was the land name but the subtitle name and entrance name being 'The Society of Space and Discovery' and it being a meeting place for great minds and an experimental ground, with each attraction being some kind of scientific experiment or something. Great idea

Comment

Did the title intrigue you? I hope so. This is basically a thread about the current mish-mash (notice mish-mash not 'mess') that Discoveryland is. This is part discussion part armchair imagineering, at least on my part maybe.

First of all, Star Tours and HISTA need to go. Full stop (or period as y'all in the US say). HISTA needs just to go, it's not helping anyone and Star Tours needs to be ripped out and re-built, all new and 3D over in WDS' Backlot, behind R'n'RC where there was talk of Midway Mania. Is anyone with me on this? I just feel neither of these attractions work at the back of Discoveryland, one of them doesn't work at all anywhere right now. In their stead? Why that's easy, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, the ideal E-Ticket follow up for DLP. New technology, similar architecture to the rest of the land would work perfectly and a little touch of Tokyo could come to Paris in stead of the US. Anyone with me?

Second, and I know you're ALL gonna want this, From the Earth to the Moon: Space Mountain. We've been through all this before, the ease of the transition, the thematic integrity it would restore, the lack of harm making it a little smoother would do. Now you may be wondering why I did a 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' style title, and that's simply because I think the attraction should be called 'From the Earth to the Moon' with SM being a sub-title, I think this is much classier/more intriguing.

Ideally, Buzz dies, but it's not an ideal world and that probably won't happen...but if it ever did, if it burned down in a fire (yes, buzz is my no.1 on my 'burn in a fire to give oppertunity' list), who wants Soarin' Through Time? It already looks like Soarin' is experiencing some turbulence on www.wdsfans.com so maybe H.G.Wells' 'The Time Machine' can weadle its way into DLP? I can dream, and it could always go in another place if Buzz doesn't burn I guess.

Pizza Planet goes. End of.

Videopolis is parfait.

I think that covers everything. Maybe none of this stuff will ever happen, maybe some of it will. I'm pretty positive not all of it will but I can dream right?

I agree with a lot of that, Fizzy, although there are a few differences I would like to throw into the mix:

1. The flaming gas jets should be reinstalled at the entrance to the land. I've never seen them working, but I'm sure they have that "WOW" factor, especially at night.

2. Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast should be moved from its current location to Toon Studio in the WDS Park. In its place, instal a brand new attraction, based on H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine", called "Morlock Encounter". This is effectively WDW's old "Alien Encounter" attraction with some Victorian trappings - Mr. H.G. Wells is giving a public demonstration of his famous time machine and we, the public, have been invited to attend. Not everything goes according to plan, however, and the machine picks up a Morlock - one of the dangerous, albino, subterranean human mutations from the far future. The Morlock breaks loose, the lights go out, and chaos ensues...

3. Autopia. Just shut it down. Easy as that. Use the huge swathe of land left behind to build Tokyo DisneySea's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea". This, right next door to the current Nautilus walk-through, will create a sub-section of Discoveryland, based around a larger lagoon. You can also throw in a shop or an eatery of some kind.

4. Space Mountain. A controversial decision this one, but rather than going back to "De La Terre A La Lune", I'd go for an all new mission - Space Mountain: Super Nova. This would have all the Victorian steampunk fittings of the original, a NEW fully orchestral score, and, instead of being themed around the moon, would be themed around - duh! - the sun! All the effects would be heavily stylised (in the same fashion as the original Space Mountain).

5. HISTA. Close it down, take the film out, and hold a public burning. Then knock the walls through, making one loooong building that can accommodate our next attraction...

6. Star Tours. Keep it in Discoveryland (I really like the idea of George Lucan being a modern successor to Verne and Wells) and update it to the new, swanky Star Tours 2.0. If the rumoured changes prove to be correct (IMAX technology, larger simulators, etc.) then they'll need the extra space afforded by the destruction of HISTA in order to expand.

So there we go, ladies and gentlemen. Constructive criticism is always appreciated!
                      Originally posted by fizzog
                      Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Comment

I totally forgot about Autopia! Agreed, rip it down and create a submarine lagoon ala Tomorrowland CA but with the Nautlius moored there. The queue is the Nautilus and you board one of the Nautilus mini-subs for your voyage, whether it would be wet or dry yet I don't know. I think for a decent sense of thematic integrity ST has to go, and how great it would be on the WDS backlot as a movie set. Much more fitting for the cheapo set treatment than anything else I think. I still want the moon journey back simply because it's based on a classic novel yet still has enormous appeal to those who have never heard of the thing simply because it's a roller coaster. Go flaming gas jets!

Comment

Originally posted by soundtracker View Post
                          I agree with a lot of that, Fizzy, although there are a few differences I would like to throw into the mix:

1. The flaming gas jets should be reinstalled at the entrance to the land. I've never seen them working, but I'm sure they have that "WOW" factor, especially at night.

2. Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast should be moved from its current location to Toon Studio in the WDS Park. In its place, instal a brand new attraction, based on H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine", called "Morlock Encounter". This is effectively WDW's old "Alien Encounter" attraction with some Victorian trappings - Mr. H.G. Wells is giving a public demonstration of his famous time machine and we, the public, have been invited to attend. Not everything goes according to plan, however, and the machine picks up a Morlock - one of the dangerous, albino, subterranean human mutations from the far future. The Morlock breaks loose, the lights go out, and chaos ensues...

3. Autopia. Just shut it down. Easy as that. Use the huge swathe of land left behind to build Tokyo DisneySea's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea". This, right next door to the current Nautilus walk-through, will create a sub-section of Discoveryland, based around a larger lagoon. You can also throw in a shop or an eatery of some kind.

4. Space Mountain. A controversial decision this one, but rather than going back to "De La Terre A La Lune", I'd go for an all new mission - Space Mountain: Super Nova. This would have all the Victorian steampunk fittings of the original, a NEW fully orchestral score, and, instead of being themed around the moon, would be themed around - duh! - the sun! All the effects would be heavily stylised (in the same fashion as the original Space Mountain).

5. HISTA. Close it down, take the film out, and hold a public burning. Then knock the walls through, making one loooong building that can accommodate our next attraction...

6. Star Tours. Keep it in Discoveryland (I really like the idea of George Lucan being a modern successor to Verne and Wells) and update it to the new, swanky Star Tours 2.0. If the rumoured changes prove to be correct (IMAX technology, larger simulators, etc.) then they'll need the extra space afforded by the destruction of HISTA in order to expand.

So there we go, ladies and gentlemen. Constructive criticism is always appreciated!
                          Love! Although they'd never actually move a ride. What would be in it for them? Would they market it as "Buzz: Now Someplace Else!"? Although they did once reverse a roller coaster and tried to sell that as a whole new experience...

And I'd like to throw in a new train station. Something Victorian and brassy. Or just remove the rotten thing, no one needed one there back in 1992. And that they restore Constellations!

Comment

Good point, a simple bronze paint job would transform the station a whole load. I just love the thought of an old steam train taking guests to a scientific institution, it really cements the Victorian theme

Comment

Does HISTA stand for Horrible Irritating Shoddy Terrible Awful ?

Comment

Go flaming gas jets!
                                I want that on a T-shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
                                  And I'd like to throw in a new train station. Something Victorian and brassy. Or just remove the rotten thing, no one needed one there back in 1992.
                                  I agree. The current station looks very cheap and bare right now. If they ever redesign the station, I would want it to look something like this. A perfect blend of Victorian charm and futuristic design as imagined by Jules Verne. It would look extremely detailed and fit into Discoveryland perfectly, not to mention bring back the original Victorian atmosphere of the land.

Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Now that is snazzy, just with a darker colour and probably not that big hehe! SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!

Comment

Is this an appropriate time to mention that the theming of Buzz Lightyear confused me?
                                      Ok, it sticks out like the proverbial thumb in Discoveryland but I'm talking about the overall ride theme.
                                      The ride seems to be based on the idea that Buzz is a real Spaceranger fighting Zurg (like in the spin off TV show Buzz Lightyear of Star Command) and yet the presence of Etch-a-Sketch and the overall 'toyness' of the design points to it being a sort of Andy's room type adventure.
                                      Or is it another example of Disney mish mash?
                                      WDW - 1987 & 1991
                                      DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                                      DLR - October 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                                        I agree. The current station looks very cheap and bare right now. If they ever redesign the station, I would want it to look something like this. A perfect blend of Victorian charm and futuristic design as imagined by Jules Verne. It would look extremely detailed and fit into Discoveryland perfectly, not to mention bring back the original Victorian atmosphere of the land.

That'll do nicely, sir. As for Buzz, you're quite right - the theme is all over the shop, once you start to examine it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X