X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisneyMickey
    replied
    Re: WDS - What a View

New pictures from the 23rd show the latest progress. They have begun revealing the buildings and installing new palm trees. I must say that the entrance plaza area and view immediately behind Studio 1 look much better. The detail in the buildings is a welcome edition. I love the warm colors as well and the addition of more foliage. But that doesn't mean there are still flaws. The metal behind all the sets is still very cold and distracting. I guess because it is supposed to be a "studio" it is able to slide. And still the Animation Building sits right behind that one set distracting the eye way too much.

http://joel.at.dlp.online.fr/dlp/20071023/

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

The detailing in the destroyed hallways is much better than DCA and the Paris one has a tiny little needle atop its highest dome. The decoration along the top of the tower has a much more 3D effect than DCA. Also, the brick work is done a lot better. It has a red base covered by the purple lightning burns. DCA does not. They did a better job painting the Paris tower.

You can see the little needle and better 3D effect:

The hallways detailing:

The only thing is that because WDSP has such a BAD layout and the Tower was put right in the middle of everything, you can't get away from this:

What hotel doesn't have windows in the back of it?
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 10-17-2007, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kirbilicious
    replied

Since my only trip to France equates to about 45 minutes spent in an airport, could someone post a picture of the hub before construction on TOT and Hollywood Boulevard began for the sake of comparison?

Leave a comment:

• fizzog
    replied

I was wowed at first by Tokyo's but since have thought it looked just odd, some bits being really detailed but then resorting to flat walls with infrequent windows. I don't think I like it anymore but I'm a fan of WDS' and DHS', I go back and forth

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
    Good eye. They don't shave their pits over there after all...

Anyway, that design just looks so plain. It looks like an unfinished house where you can still see the exposed wood. It's a far cry from the designs at MGM and TDS.
    I beg to differ. I think the outside of TDS' Tower is hideously overdone. The inside may be wonderful, but good Lord, that thing is just a bit much. Turrets and domes popping up all over the place, sticking out from the sides, bricks in sixteen shades of burgundy... Sometimes, less is more.

MGM's however is lovely. And with that wonderful location at the end of Sunset, it will probably remain the #1 ToT.

(Also, don't forget the DCA Tower was based on a design intended for the WDS, not the other way around.)

Leave a comment:

• Pressler69
    replied

Good eye. They don't shave their pits over there after all...

Anyway, that design just looks so plain. It looks like an unfinished house where you can still see the exposed wood. It's a far cry from the designs at MGM and TDS.

Leave a comment:

• Reiana
    replied

The grey domes on the left side of the buildings are different. The WDS one is flatter then the DCA one.

Leave a comment:

• Olivier
    replied

At least, Paris ToT has one unique detail! )

Walt Disney Studios, Paris

Disney's California Adventure, Anaheim

Anyone sees another small detail ???

Leave a comment:

• Pressler69
    replied

The buildings lack depth and detail. They are flat and uninspired. The Tower of Terror is the cheapo DCA version. It lacks the detail of the MGM or TDS versions. The DCA design looks cheap and unfinished, even in its finished form in DCA. The image looks like a jumbled mess. Certainly an improvement for Disney Studios Paris' 2 million visitors a year, suckers though they may be.

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    The layout of WDSP is nearly impossible to work with. It is the most awkward of any park. Frankly, everything was/ is placed as if the entire facility was a parking lot. And with its absence of any type of curbs or dimension, it makes for some heavy furniture re-arranging.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I could go all rose-tinted and quote "it started with a mouse", but I genuinely think its nicely situated. Everything around it is in the wrong place!
    The layout of WDSP is nearly impossible to work with. It is the most awkward of any park. Frankly, everything was/ is placed as if the entire facility was a parking lot. And with its absence of any type of curbs or dimension, it makes for some heavy furniture re-arranging.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

From the recent pictures, the entire scene looks MUCH better than what was ever there before. I just hope those facades and picture backdrops are kept up over time. The only complaint I have is that once you get off center with the illusion, it looks terribly awkward. The Gone Hollywood building is way too close to the Animation building and looks very bad (especially in front of that baby blue building). The backside of those three facades in front of the tower look very bland in the back. The flat, asphalt, film strip pavement looks a little out of place. I won't make my final assessment until the walls are down around the tower. But overall, the two areas they have "placemaked" look much better than WDSP version 2002. There is still much more work to do beyond the nearly completed placemaking.

Leave a comment:

• fizzog
    replied

I just think if it's gonna be a hub they should perhaps at least make it an extravagent fountain or something

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

I could go all rose-tinted and quote "it started with a mouse", but I genuinely think its nicely situated. Everything around it is in the wrong place!
    too easy for them to mock our parks, haha. Small World was bad enough...

Leave a comment:

• nathan detroit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

I may be being stupid here (insert heckle here!) but I can't see the issue with the Partners statue - I like it. It may get in the way of the view up Hollywood Blvd but the same could be said for the bandstand at the bottom of Main Street.
    To me, the Partners statue is one of the few touches of class in WDS.
    I suppose it's fine at the WDS. It almost adds a welcome touch of irony. And it would have been fine in any quiet area, anyplace off-track enough where it could have been a tasteful tribute. But right in the hub of a MK? Just a little too much, in my opinion. Two shakes away from brainwashed, glassy-eyed Cast Members who drag you out into the lobotomy room if you say you dislike "it's a small world".

Leave a comment:

• nathan detroit
    replied

I may be being stupid here (insert heckle here!) but I can't see the issue with the Partners statue - I like it. It may get in the way of the view up Hollywood Blvd but the same could be said for the bandstand at the bottom of Main Street.
    To me, the Partners statue is one of the few touches of class in WDS.

Leave a comment:

• fizzog
    replied

Slightly bitter? Oh dear... hehe. I'm still for a giant sorcerer's hat replacing the partners statue

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

How about a statue of Mickey demanding his money back? (stock DCA joke)
    How about a statue that when you walk around it, reveals to be no more than a movie prop made out of papier-mache and duct tape?
    How about a statue that's really only a pedestal and "wants YOU to be the star in Disney's latest production; 'Honey, I Turned the Guests to Stone'"?

*is slightly bitter*

Leave a comment:

• soundtracker
    replied

I've got it! How about a statue of Jay Rasulo?

(Gets coat...)

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X