Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDLFAN's DLP/WDSP Halloween report (photos)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nathan detroit
    replied
    Re: TDLFAN's DLP/WDSP Halloween report (photos)

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
    I had a grandmother who was xenophobic, but I punched her.
    I hear that's the best cure. Just like the best cure for claustophobia is to give the person a damned good talking to and then never visit a Disney park with them again.

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Well said Mr Boots. Comparing the different Disney parks with one's eyes open is one thing. Wearing blinkers and just seeing the 'bad' differences is another. Many Europeans may go to a US park after DLP and unfavourabley compare it - but that doesn't make it right. Xenophobia plain and simple (although I realise that at the moment, phobias are a touchy subject on this forum!)
    I had a grandmother who was xenophobic, but I punched her.

Leave a comment:

• nathan detroit
    replied

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
    I agree on the Halloween decorations, which is why I make a point of avoiding the place this time of year. And yes, there are maintenance issues, even if it's not as bad as a few years ago. But of course you don't feel an emotional draw to it, it's not Walt's Disneyland and you're Californian for pete's sake. I really think people should get over this; it's not like the original Disneyland burned down. It's still there for all those Disney fans to see. You go to Disneyland Paris to see a whole new interpretation of that park. Otherwise it's like going to Tokyo to eat at McDonald's.
    Well said Mr Boots. Comparing the different Disney parks with one's eyes open is one thing. Wearing blinkers and just seeing the 'bad' differences is another. Many Europeans may go to a US park after DLP and unfavourabley compare it - but that doesn't make it right. Xenophobia plain and simple (although I realise that at the moment, phobias are a touchy subject on this forum!)

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I agree that Disneyland Paris decorations are very sloppy. The Halloween decor is a horrible mish-mash of Pumpkin men and pink witches and Stitch. The Christmas decor is better than WDW, but still not as fresh and spectacular as it should be. They go for such an artsy approach.

I absolutely love Disneyland Paris, but for some reason, I don't feel an emotional draw to it as much as Disneyland in CA. I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and a little too perfect in layout, but I am not impressed by the drabness that plagues it. The park always looks either dirty, moldy, or in need of fresh paint. I wish they would do a complete sweep through the entire park and clean it up...and keep it that way. It still suffers from the curse of cutbacks and neglect.

For me, it tries hard to be the Disneyland Paris of the new millenium, but it suffers from the curse it entailed back when it was Euro Disneyland. It's sad. Disney could do so much more to maintain its cleanliness. If only they just kept on maintenance. I know a lot of it also has to do with the guests and Cast Members.
    I agree on the Halloween decorations, which is why I make a point of avoiding the place this time of year. And yes, there are maintenance issues, even if it's not as bad as a few years ago. But of course you don't feel an emotional draw to it, it's not Walt's Disneyland and you're Californian for pete's sake. I really think people should get over this; it's not like the original Disneyland burned down. It's still there for all those Disney fans to see. You go to Disneyland Paris to see a whole new interpretation of that park. Otherwise it's like going to Tokyo to eat at McDonald's.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I agree that Disneyland Paris decorations are very sloppy. The Halloween decor is a horrible mish-mash of Pumpkin men and pink witches and Stitch. The Christmas decor is better than WDW, but still not as fresh and spectacular as it should be. They go for such an artsy approach.

I absolutely love Disneyland Paris, but for some reason, I don't feel an emotional draw to it as much as Disneyland in CA. I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and a little too perfect in layout, but I am not impressed by the drabness that plagues it. The park always looks either dirty, moldy, or in need of fresh paint. I wish they would do a complete sweep through the entire park and clean it up...and keep it that way. It still suffers from the curse of cutbacks and neglect.

For me, it tries hard to be the Disneyland Paris of the new millenium, but it suffers from the curse it entailed back when it was Euro Disneyland. It's sad. Disney could do so much more to maintain its cleanliness. If only they just kept on maintenance. I know a lot of it also has to do with the guests and Cast Members.
    I share the same feelings. I feel that Disneyland Paris is a spectacular Disney park, by far the most well designed Magic Kingdom and the most beautiful and lavish. However, it does not feel as magical as some of the other Disney parks I've visited (especially Disneyland). Disneyland Paris is wonderful and stunning to look at, but I have little emotional attachment with the environments. A little confusing perhaps; I, myself don't exactly understand why. But those issues you mentioned likely played a part in my feeling of the park, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DLRPbigfan
    replied

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
    Oh, one other thing that totally shocked me was that every night between the train station and Disney Village, a group of about six different street vendors would take our their cheap flashing lights merchandise to sell to the tourists. I don't know how Disney permits this. The only thing I could explain was that since it was near the train station, this might be considered public property???
    The area between Fantasia Gardens and the gates of the Disney Village is not owned by Disney, i belive it is owned by the rail company as does the the area where the busses pick up and drop off, also disney do not own any of the roads in the resort.

The police will move on the street vendors, i have seen it done however these people always find a way.

Leave a comment:

• mikeland
    replied

Originally posted by euro disney stefan View Post
    2) smoking - This is one of the big projects of the European Union, and as it is pretty new for the Europeans, it will take some time that they adapt this new way of life without cigarattes. From 1st January 2008, all restaurants and bars in France need to be non smoking or have a very separated smoking area. Anyway - all Disney bars and restaurants are already non smoking.
    I applaud Europe for banning smoking. It is a very bad habit (in my opinion) and it does take a long time for people to change habits. When I was there, people were following the rule of not smoking indoors, but they were smoking just outside the doors. I guess it will take some time for places to make designated smoking areas where it will not affect anyone.

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by euro disney stefan View Post
    hello folks,

As a Disneyland Paris cast member and European I will try to clarify some points - and I think most of your points are related to a very important difference that is very important to me - freedom:

1) hair style - The Manager of the bleached hair guy could have told this cast member to change his hairstyle and maybe did it. On the other hand it is true that employees are more protected in Europe than in the US. You cannot forbid wearing a beard for example - or tell an african woman to not get an african haircut.

2) smoking - This is one of the big projects of the European Union, and as it is pretty new for the Europeans, it will take some time that they adapt this new way of life without cigarattes. From 1st January 2008, all restaurants and bars in France need to be non smoking or have a very separated smoking area. Anyway - all Disney bars and restaurants are already non smoking.

3) crowd control - different languages has always been an issue in Europe. And Europeans are very clever to use it. When you try to tell a guest that he should behave correctly he will play the "I do not understand" card. And what do you do if you do not speak his language - it is not as easy as in the US or Japan - where everybody speaks the same language.
    Okay, I'm really sorry if anyone finds what I'm about to say offensive, but I've been thinking this for a while now. In my experience, there is no such thing as "European". The French think they are speaking for the entire continent when they express their annoyances for the dominance of the English language and the unwillingness of foreigners to speak their language, while in reality this is just the French who have this problem at all. Anyone who's ever been to Belgium or Holland or Sweden knows this. The Germans feel their privacy is being invaded by the new anti-smoking laws because their country is a smoker's paradise, while the British have gotten used to their smoke-free pubs without such drama. And it's not all of Europe that goes on strike every time an employee gets a funny look from his supervisor, nor is it all of Europe that shoves and cuts in line.

All of Europe should not get a bad reputation for what a few very loud nations do, just like Canada and the Blue States should not suffer for what Middle America produces in ridiculousness.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 11-02-2007, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• euro disney stefan
    replied

hello folks,

As a Disneyland Paris cast member and European I will try to clarify some points - and I think most of your points are related to a very important difference that is very important to me - freedom:

1) hair style - The Manager of the bleached hair guy could have told this cast member to change his hairstyle and maybe did it. On the other hand it is true that employees are more protected in Europe than in the US. You cannot forbid wearing a beard for example - or tell an african woman to not get an african haircut.

3) crowd control - different languages has always been an issue in Europe. And Europeans are very clever to use it. When you try to tell a guest that he should behave correctly he will play the "I do not understand" card. And what do you do if you do not speak his language - it is not as easy as in the US or Japan - where everybody speaks the same language.

Leave a comment:

• Grizzly
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No, the MK at WDW. There is only ONE magic kingdom and that is FL. All others to me ar "DL" parks, and I don't recognize them as "mk"s.

How interesting, I don't think you have ever stated that view before. Personally, I feel there are five Magic Kingdoms with only one bearing it as its official name. Even Walt called Disneyland "The Magic Kingdom".

Leave a comment:

• yesitsme
    replied

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report TDLFAN.

I have to comment on the rudeness/second hand smoke etc mentioned in your report - without meaning to get to heavy or anything this is one of the single most depressing things about european society as it is today. The me me me mentality is now so rife that if someone does something considerate or says thank you to me I get so suprised and caught off guard that I almost don't know how to react. There was a time that here in the UK people were polite and cosiderate for the most part but the whole european 'disease' seems to have arrived here to over the last 10-15 years.

The point is - this is a Disney park and as such certain standards should be up held. These selfish unthoughtful people should be made to either stub it out/ take their child/partner off their shoulders/stop queue jumping/stop talking through any anouncement or pre show not in their language or LEAVE the park.

Sorry to rant but this is a subject I am truly passionate about, if we all had a bit more respect and manners the world would be a much nicer place.

Anyway..great pics, really love the way Crushs' Coaster looks at night!

Leave a comment:

• disneymadchris
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No, the MK at WDW. There is only ONE magic kingdom and that is FL. All others to me ar "DL" parks, and I don't recognize them as "mk"s. Of course, I am exagerating here a little bit, because the new placemaking facades are a very small part of the new area but the level of details in some of them are really nice, unlike some structures at the MK or other DL parks.
    Wow. I'll be really impressed if they are that good. It shows that the park is moving in a very good direction!

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

No, the MK at WDW. There is only ONE magic kingdom and that is FL. All others to me ar "DL" parks, and I don't recognize them as "mk"s. Of course, I am exagerating here a little bit, because the new placemaking facades are a very small part of the new area but the level of details in some of them are really nice, unlike some structures at the MK or other DL parks.

Leave a comment:

• disneymadchris
    replied

When you say that some of the new themeing in WDS puts the MK to shame, are you referring to the Magic Kingdom at Paris?

Leave a comment:

• pussnboots
    replied

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
    Oh, one other thing that totally shocked me was that every night between the train station and Disney Village, a group of about six different street vendors would take our their cheap flashing lights merchandise to sell to the tourists. I don't know how Disney permits this. The only thing I could explain was that since it was near the train station, this might be considered public property???
    Indeed. Disney has nothing to say about what happens on that piece of real estate.

Leave a comment:

• mikeland
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
    On the annoyances; I think they all come down to one thing; things done a little bit different than in the US or at TDR. I can't say the your annoyances regarding the Halloween-decor, the wine and the mohawk irritate me personally. I don't think that everything should be the same in every Disney-park. I mean, what harm can a (rather little) mowhawk do? I would not have noticed it myself.
    I disagree. Disney parks have a tradition and history to uphold. If I wanted to see employess that look a bit unprofessional in appearance, I'd go to Six-Flags. At Disney, there is a "Disney Look" which all of us who worked for them had to follow. When I was a CM, the slightest violation would have a manager sending me home with no pay for the day. Reason why, when I see what some CMs get away with now, I get a bit bitter. I do not want to go into a Disney park to see individual arts of expression in regards to haircuts and facial hair and assessories. That is the reason why there is a "Disney Look" policy. While I understand there are cultural differences that make everyone unique, in a corporate enviroment like Disney where it operates in a global level, those little differences should be avoided in order to offer a standard product to all, otherwise you have a disjointed experience (like I did) when you pursue the same product from one part of the World to another. So I disagree with your assessment that every Disney park should be a little different in that regards, and while I welcome differences in design and entertainment, I do not agree with difference in the way the CMs project themselves.

We are in Europe and some things are done and/or perceived differently here.... I did not notice a lot of smoking and/or rude behaviour. But then again; I wasn't particularly paying attention to it either.
    THat is exactly the problem with european guests at DLP. You people DO NOT seem to pay attention in regards to others and that is why I was incovenienced more than once watching shows, taking pictures, and what have you. These are things that can happen in the USA parks as well but not to the extreme degree I see at DLP, so the fact that you are in Europe and we are not makes little difference. Or maybe my mama raised me well to be polite and understanding of others around me when in such crowded situations... and since I am, I too would like a little of the same concideration back.

AS for Disney parks... their show, presentation, cleanliness, and CM's look should be universal regardless of the park location. Otherwise, you compromise the "soul" of the company.

Originally posted by Nojarama
    Thanks for your report & sharing the piccies (and your honesty). Sorry you had a miserable time.
    I DID NOT have a miserable time. I enjoyed my visit, the parades, the night show, the shopping, the food I ate, etc etc. I just wished most guests were a bit better behaved.

You need to understand that Halloween isn't celebrated the same way (if at all) in Europe as its is here in the US etc. I get what you mean, but I actually like alot of the decor at DLP during the period myself.
    I understand the different takes on Halloween. For example, some feel it's all about horror and murder, as presented at Universal parks during Horror Nights. I also understand that Halloween is perceived differently from one part of the World to the next... but again.. in regards to Disney parks, the product should be simialrly presented to suit the Disney theme. That was the reason why I had a slight problem with the Haunted Hotel walkthru attraction at HKDL, even though it was well presented. In regards to DLP.. this is a "disney" park and should adhere to the Disney brand, or else, change the name to Europeland if indeed that is what guests are demanding there and not "disney" per se.

Leave a comment:

• nojarama
    replied

Thanks for your report & sharing the piccies (and your honesty). Sorry you had a miserable time. You need to understand that Halloween isn't celebrated the same way (if at all) in Europe as its is here in the US etc. I get what you mean, but I actually like alot of the decor at DLP during the period myself. But again, being a true "goth", anything Halloween is appreciated. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• Tommie
    replied

Nice report and pictures! Thanks.
    Good to read that a lot of things have improved.

On the annoyances; I think they all come down to one thing; things done a little bit different than in the US or at TDR. I can't say the your annoyances regarding the Halloween-decor, the wine and the mohawk irritate me personally. I don't think that everything should be the same in every Disney-park. I mean, what harm can a (rather little) mowhawk do? I would not have noticed it myself.
    We are in Europe and some things are done and/or perceived differently here....

Regarding the smoking and the rude-behaviour; this can indeed be annoying. Luckily on my visit in september, I did not notice a lot of smoking and/or rude behaviour. But then again; I wasn't particularly paying attention to it either.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X