Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

First time going to DLP!!!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'm back! Let me just say up front that it wasn't my favorite, but there are two big caveats.

1. It was FREEZING cold that day. The weather forecast said the high was 28 deg.
    2. I don't speak hardly any French. I don't think that made too much of a difference, but maybe it did and I didn't realize it.

Okay, now onto my review:

I started out in Disney Studios as planned. The RER took a little longer than expected so I got there about half an hour after park opening. I went straight to Crush's and the wait was 30 min, which turned out to be the longest wait of the day. It was okay but nothing special. It's basically Goofy's Sky School or Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama with better theming. Then I walked around the park a little bit, saw their mini Cars Land area, saw the Ratatouille area (which was closed), and went over to Rockin Roller Coaster. I missed the black lit street signs on the ride but otherwise it was similar. The pre-show was different though. I'm not sure what was going on, but it definitely wasn't the same one as WDW. There was a lot of construction going on in that area, but I found my way to Cinemagique and saw the first show of the day, which was at 11:45am. It was okay, but again, nothing special.

Then I made my way over to Disneyland. I rode the train all the way around the park first thing, just like I always did when I would go to Disneyland in CA as a kid. After that, I went straight for Space Mountain since that was the one ride I most wanted to see. It was fun, but again, I thought the big asteroids looked cheesy and like 1960's Disney. I loved the decor and I liked that this Space Mountain had a little bit of a story behind it. I loved the way the ride vehicles looked. I also walked through the Nautilus. I had lunch at the Hyperion Restaurant. The theming was fun, but the food was god awful. I didn't know anyone could make a worse burger than Disneyland here in CA. Congrats, Disneyland Paris. Your burger is worse.

After lunch I went over to Fantasyland. I rode Pinnochio and Snow White. They were pretty much the same. I did the castle walkthrough, and that was pretty neat. I love that you can go outside on the second story of the castle and look out over Fantasyland. I bet a lot of marriage proposals happen there.

I grabbed a hot coffee and headed over to Adventureland. I did Pirates first. I knew the ride was backwards from ours, but I didn't realize I would actual like that better. I never realized how weird it is that ours starts out with the skeleton pirates and then goes to the live pirates attacking the town. Doing it the other way makes way more sense. The only thing I didn't like was the abrupt ending. Then I went over to the Indiana Jones roller coaster. It was okay, but a little underwhelming. It reminded me a lot of Jaguar at Knott's Berry Farm. After that I went to Frontierland. Most things were closed, so I went on Phantom Manor. I enjoyed it very much. As near as I could tell, their story was different, and it wasn't the bride that murdered the husband, but it looked like Death took the husband and left the weeping bride behind or something. The only thing I didn't get is why we ended in some kind of wild west ghost town. I guess that's supposed to tie into Phantom Manor being in Frontierland but it was just weird. That could be where the language barrier comes into play.

It was around 4pm and getting colder so I headed over to Main St and went through some of the shops to get warm. I did catch the parade, and after that I spent some time just walking through the park again and trying to take in everything. I went on Space Mountain, Pirates, and Phantom Manor one more time, and then went back down Main St to watch Disney Dreams. The projection mapping on the castle was amazing (especially since the castle is so huge) but I was surprised there were hardly any fireworks.

So then the park closed, and I walked through Disney Village. I ended up having dinner at the Earl of Sandwich and then went back to my hotel.

So my overall thoughts are that 1. there are hardly any major E-ticket rides. Even with Star Tours and Big Thunder closed, they really only have five. They need to add probably two new lands (I imagine New Orleans Square might be popular, but they'd have to have different rides, and then maybe Star Wars Land). It felt like Disneyland didn't really have any magic to it at all. There were large stretches of the park between Adventureland and Frontierland where there was just nothing. The cast members were all hiding inside where it was warm and I don't blame them one bit. Considering how empty the park was and how cold it was outside I would have done the same thing. So maybe on a different day when the cast members are out and about the park would feel different.

2. Disney Studios was just awful. It has all the charm of a post office. It's the most bland, boring looking Disney park I've ever seen. They need to add Soarin and the real Cars Land as soon as possible.

So those are my thoughts. Maybe the cold got to me and I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe the language barrier caused me to miss out on some of the best parts of the park. But unfortunately, I really didn't like it, and even if I ever go back to Paris I don't think I'd go back to their Disneyland, which absolutely breaks my heart to say.

Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Thanks for the write-up, Big D. I'd been curious about your impressions of DLP. Nobody ever seems to like it, so I did wonder if you would. I've had three opportunities to "fit it in" and just never have, because it always sounds like a dud. Maybe some day it will be brought up to standards.

Just as an aside, I almost warned you in this thread to pack the warm down parka, because a friend told me she'd never experienced such bitter cold as Paris in December. But you mentioned you didn't mind about the cold, so I decided not to be the old mother hen. I wish I had spoken up!

Anyhow, glad you had the firsthand experience and thanks again for sharing your impressions here on MC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
        Just as an aside, I almost warned you in this thread to pack the warm down parka, because a friend told me she'd never experienced such bitter cold as Paris in December. But you mentioned you didn't mind about the cold, so I decided not to be the old mother hen. I wish I had spoken up!
        I actually took the warmest clothes that I owned, so even if you had said something there was nothing more I could bring! I live in So Cal so no one really owns super warm clothes here because it never gets below 50. In fact, I brought a scarf and gloves that I had purchased in Europe on previous trips that I've never really been able to use in So Cal because it just never gets cold enough!

Disneyland Cast Member
        Outdoor Vending
        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Big D I couldn't agree with you more! I visited DLP in 2014 and I found it really lacked MAGIC. When I was there, everything was open and yet I still found myself thinking that there were definitley not enough E-Ticket attractions. The park, at the time I visited, was also very run down. Paint was peeling off, things were rusty.....very un-Disney like.
          And the studio park.....no words.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
            Okay, I'm back! Let me just say up front that it wasn't my favorite, but there are two big caveats.

1. It was FREEZING cold that day. The weather forecast said the high was 28 deg.
            2. I don't speak hardly any French. I don't think that made too much of a difference, but maybe it did and I didn't realize it.

Okay, now onto my review:

I started out in Disney Studios as planned. The RER took a little longer than expected so I got there about half an hour after park opening. I went straight to Crush's and the wait was 30 min, which turned out to be the longest wait of the day. It was okay but nothing special. It's basically Goofy's Sky School or Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama with better theming. Then I walked around the park a little bit, saw their mini Cars Land area, saw the Ratatouille area (which was closed), and went over to Rockin Roller Coaster. I missed the black lit street signs on the ride but otherwise it was similar. The pre-show was different though. I'm not sure what was going on, but it definitely wasn't the same one as WDW. There was a lot of construction going on in that area, but I found my way to Cinemagique and saw the first show of the day, which was at 11:45am. It was okay, but again, nothing special.

Then I made my way over to Disneyland. I rode the train all the way around the park first thing, just like I always did when I would go to Disneyland in CA as a kid. After that, I went straight for Space Mountain since that was the one ride I most wanted to see. It was fun, but again, I thought the big asteroids looked cheesy and like 1960's Disney. I loved the decor and I liked that this Space Mountain had a little bit of a story behind it. I loved the way the ride vehicles looked. I also walked through the Nautilus. I had lunch at the Hyperion Restaurant. The theming was fun, but the food was god awful. I didn't know anyone could make a worse burger than Disneyland here in CA. Congrats, Disneyland Paris. Your burger is worse.

After lunch I went over to Fantasyland. I rode Pinnochio and Snow White. They were pretty much the same. I did the castle walkthrough, and that was pretty neat. I love that you can go outside on the second story of the castle and look out over Fantasyland. I bet a lot of marriage proposals happen there.

I grabbed a hot coffee and headed over to Adventureland. I did Pirates first. I knew the ride was backwards from ours, but I didn't realize I would actual like that better. I never realized how weird it is that ours starts out with the skeleton pirates and then goes to the live pirates attacking the town. Doing it the other way makes way more sense. The only thing I didn't like was the abrupt ending. Then I went over to the Indiana Jones roller coaster. It was okay, but a little underwhelming. It reminded me a lot of Jaguar at Knott's Berry Farm. After that I went to Frontierland. Most things were closed, so I went on Phantom Manor. I enjoyed it very much. As near as I could tell, their story was different, and it wasn't the bride that murdered the husband, but it looked like Death took the husband and left the weeping bride behind or something. The only thing I didn't get is why we ended in some kind of wild west ghost town. I guess that's supposed to tie into Phantom Manor being in Frontierland but it was just weird. That could be where the language barrier comes into play.

It was around 4pm and getting colder so I headed over to Main St and went through some of the shops to get warm. I did catch the parade, and after that I spent some time just walking through the park again and trying to take in everything. I went on Space Mountain, Pirates, and Phantom Manor one more time, and then went back down Main St to watch Disney Dreams. The projection mapping on the castle was amazing (especially since the castle is so huge) but I was surprised there were hardly any fireworks.

So then the park closed, and I walked through Disney Village. I ended up having dinner at the Earl of Sandwich and then went back to my hotel.

So my overall thoughts are that 1. there are hardly any major E-ticket rides. Even with Star Tours and Big Thunder closed, they really only have five. They need to add probably two new lands (I imagine New Orleans Square might be popular, but they'd have to have different rides, and then maybe Star Wars Land). It felt like Disneyland didn't really have any magic to it at all. There were large stretches of the park between Adventureland and Frontierland where there was just nothing. The cast members were all hiding inside where it was warm and I don't blame them one bit. Considering how empty the park was and how cold it was outside I would have done the same thing. So maybe on a different day when the cast members are out and about the park would feel different.

2. Disney Studios was just awful. It has all the charm of a post office. It's the most bland, boring looking Disney park I've ever seen. They need to add Soarin and the real Cars Land as soon as possible.

So those are my thoughts. Maybe the cold got to me and I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe the language barrier caused me to miss out on some of the best parts of the park. But unfortunately, I really didn't like it, and even if I ever go back to Paris I don't think I'd go back to their Disneyland, which absolutely breaks my heart to say.
            Thanks for the read. I don't understand why the Paris park was so badly prepared compared to ours. I would think that there is no excuse for it. how many tourists spoke English, and how many people there would you say were locals? I'd feel bad for them, thinking that this is the best Disney gets and the American parks are as enjoyable as theirs.

I can't imagine a Disney park with such short wait times!
            KA CHOW

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X