This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLRP and the incandescent bulb ban

As Europe is slated to be among the first places to ban the incandescent light bulb, DLRP might be the first Disney resort faced with the challenge of having to replace many of its lights with energy-efficient alternatives.

The CFL light bulb, that awful fluorescent thing that turns any room into Das Boot at the click of a switch (but not immediately, since those little miracles need two minutes to "warm up"), may be a well enough substitute for a simple lamp with a shade in a regular home, but I think we can all imagine just how marvelous Main Street U.S.A. would look under the flickering fluorescent glow of a thousand CFLs outlining its charming Victorian facades, or under blue, futuristic LED light. And a parallel to Frontierland, Adventureland and Fantasyland is not a difficult one to draw either; imagine what would become of the chandeliers with the flickering faux flames.

General Electric is working on an old-fashioned incandescent bulb that's supposed to consume half the energy of a current one--but that's not scheduled to be ready before 2010.

Bottom line: It is not an improbable scenario that DLRP will have to bridge a year or two without the ability to buy a single incandescent light bulb--and that's the optimistic scenario that trusts GE to succeed in their mission to revive the tungsten bulb.
    How will they handle this? Stock up on them? Create casings for LED lights that mimic old-fashioned bulbs, as they did for the Rockefeller Tree? Get the most out of halogen lights, which at least have the same warm glow as incandescent lights?

NOTE: Yes, I know we're all libertarians who think laws like this are an impedance on our personal freedom, outrage, shout shout shout etc. etc. etc. But let us just accept this as a reality and figure out how to prevent our world from becoming lit like a hospital corridor without ruining the ozone layer completely (as well as this thread). Thank you.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM.

Re: DLRP and the incandescent bulb ban

What an interesting predicament! Thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure Imagineering will come up with something.

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
      How will they handle this? Stock up on them?
      Do you think this would be an actual possibility? What is being banned, sale, usage, or both? If it is only sales, a huge stock may be a practical solution. However, such a loop hole may have negative public relation consequences.

Comment

Due to the OP's footnote, I shant comment other than to say I like the stockpiling idea.

Comment

I don't know. I've switched my entire apartment over to CFLs. They don't take 2 minutes to 'warm up' more like a second or two. They last longer (no more people whining about burn out bulbs) and they use less energy.
          The only downside I can, is that for people looking them they sure look different from incandenscent light bulbs. Little spirals? Yeah, it'll kinda break theme, but what can you do?
          Guess what? California is planning a ban on incandescent light bulbs too. Can't wait to see the threads when it makes it to Disneyland Anaheim.
          Bulbs won't be outlawed, just the sale of new ones banned. Don't know if that covers buying them from other states or countries and then having them shipped, though- so that could still be an option.
          "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

I also use CFL's in my home as well. They make bulbs without the spirals now that look just like regular bulbs. Also, there are several different color temperatures to choose from. I don't see the ban as creating a major problem.

I'm sure people are going to ask so...

I use 3 Commercial Electric SKU #774-702 CFL's in my bedroom ceiling fan light fixture and they warm up almost instantly. The color is very, VERY close to regular incandescent bulbs. These CFL's use 9W of power.

Also, I use 4 Commercial Electric SKU #774-332 CFL's in my guest bedroom ceiling fan light fixture and they take about 30 seconds to come up to full brightness. When they do though they are very bright and only use 14W of power.

CFL's rock if you find the right ones for your application.
            Last edited by PhotoMatt; 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
              I also use CFL's in my home as well. They make bulbs without the spirals now that look just like regular bulbs. Also, there are several different color temperatures to choose from. I don't see the ban as creating a major problem.
              Ooh! I'll have to keep an eye out for those.
              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot and Lowe's are great places to look. I usually buy one type at a time to test the color temperature first.

Comment

I see what you guys are saying, and I'm sure there are CFLs without that awful fluorescent glow--I just don't have one of those yet, and thus my kitchen is lit like something Nikita would work in.

However, in many places at Disney's parks, light bulbs are used as decorative elements, chosen specifically for their old-fashioned look. Imagine those little CFL spirals here:

Last edited by pussnboots; 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
                    However, in many places at Disney's parks, light bulbs are used as decorative elements, chosen specifically for their old-fashioned look.
                    I can see your point. Maybe they can get an exemption. I'm sure all of the theatre lighting can't be converted to CFL. I don't expect London's West End theatres to go dark, so there have to be some exceptions to the rule.

Comment

I put in the new bulbs and the whole color of the room changed from the different lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                        I can see your point. Maybe they can get an exemption. I'm sure all of the theatre lighting can't be converted to CFL. I don't expect London's West End theatres to go dark, so there have to be some exceptions to the rule.
                        Since it's featured as part of an entertainment offering, they should get an exemption.

Comment

I still can't help but think there will be some noise generated by an exemption or loop hole. "Cultural Imperialists at Disney Hate Environment" just seems like a great story.

Comment

Well "The Main Street Electrical Parade" is not the only use of lightbulbs for entertainment at Disney. Everything is carefully lit, backlit and lit again. The whole place is one large display of lights, from an electrician's p.o.v.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                              I still can't help but think there will be some noise generated by an exemption or loop hole. "Cultural Imperialists at Disney Hate Environment" just seems like a great story.
                              I think you may be right. Once this hype reaches its pinnacle, owning a light bulb will probably be like being seen in public with Michael Richards and Isaiah Washington.

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                              Well "The Main Street Electrical Parade" is not the only use of lightbulbs for entertainment at Disney. Everything is carefully lit, backlit and lit again. The whole place is one large display of lights, from an electrician's p.o.v.
                              Thankfully, LEDs and even old-fashioned halogen will be able to take over most of the ambient/flood/backlighting (as they did on POTC during the Sparrowization process and as they will probably do for IASW during its heiferization process). In fact, they probably do a better job. And I read somewhere that Tokyo's "DreamLights" parade is all-LED, but then again we read a lot of things.

But such a transition will neither be easy nor cheap, especially in such a short time frame. I can picture those executives now as it dawns on them that the MSEP will need every single one of its bulbs replaced.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X