Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Uninvited Park Guests

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninvited Park Guests

Because Disneyland is a beautiful environment it's easy to forget that it is entirely man-made. Lakes, mountains, hills and trees were all placed very deliberately in their spots.

But nature has encroached!

I suspect that the ducks in the moat were brought in by the management. I even think that the little cute bunnies that can be seen hopping around may have been introduced via a carry-case. But one creature that lives and trives in DLP and has clearly made its own way in and seems to be seen as a pest, is the humble sparrow.

Mr Sparrow finds DLP most attractive with the large amounts of food that is consumed (and dropped) there and they add a nice 'Snow White forest' touch to the park Yet the CMs seem to wish to get rid of them. Is this because of the damage they may cause? The disease they may spread? The 'poops' they may drop?

Please discuss...
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Re: Uninvited Park Guests

But Jack's brought in tons of revenue for the parks, he's everywhere but POTC now!

Comment

I rarely pay attention to the sparrows...I think its the mice(and not mickey or minnie)that should be dealt with!!
      Originally posted by PEZZ Lightyear
      Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzog View Post
        But Jack's brought in tons of revenue for the parks, he's everywhere but POTC now!
        Oh Fizzy Fizzy Fizzy! I'd hoped that nobody would crack that joke. But it was you of all people! And on the first reply too!!!!!!!

WDW - 1987 & 1991
        DLR - October 2011

Comment

ORGOCH: Well, Heck! What's wrong with havin' a few extra critters around? In Florida they's got gators 'n snakes ta mingle with guests. I like 'em just fine, even if'n most others don't.

ORWEN: Birds invading Disneyland Paris? What would Alfred Hitchcock say?

ORGOCH: He'd say, "Hurry up an' open the dang coffin!! Git me outta here!"

Comment

Side track related to your opening line: In an old guidebook to DLP, it said that many people actually believe the park's "mountains" and "rivers" to be real. I've always wondered about the validity of this statement. It would imply that a percentage of people -- grown ups -- believe that Big Thunder Mountain and a rock outcrop shaped like a skull were there all along, sitting in the middle of the brie region of Ile-de-France. Think about this for a second. If these people exist, then they probably vote.

And about those birds; well, you could do worse than sparrows. Where did you read that CMs wish to get rid of them?

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
              And about those birds; well, you could do worse than sparrows. Where did you read that CMs wish to get rid of them?
              I witnessed it!

Last time I was there, we were sitting together on a nice quiet bench (at the Discoveryland entrance to Fantasyland) eating our (junk) lunch of hotdogs and popcorn. As nature-lovers, when we spotted some sparrows we started to throw small pieces of hotdog bun and bits of popcorn to them. NDJnr particularly liked this and was openly enjoying the experience when a sour-faced CM with a broom and shovel walked up (scaring the birds away), swept up our offerings and gave us a typically Gallic withering look before mooching off again.

Now maybe I was being paranoid, or maybe that was just a particularly unpleasant CM, but it made me feel like DLP's motto on this score was along the lines of 'Don't Feed the Animals'.
              WDW - 1987 & 1991
              DLR - October 2011

Comment

Photos of Uninvited Park Guests

Last summer I thought I'd spot a new hidden AA in the park.. but no, it was one of these uninvited guests. Anyway, I think this one could visit more often to make Adventureland more special. I took these pictures in July 2007.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 05-16-2008, 05:57 AM.
                ----
                Cheers,
                Zarniwoop

Comment

They should have birds in Adventureland! Large, colorful birds. But how do you tell them to stay out of the other lands?

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots View Post
                    They should have birds in Adventureland! Large, colorful birds. But how do you tell them to stay out of the other lands?
                    Shackle their little legs to the branches!

The sight of a heron in Adventureland is wonderful! It suggests that the waters have fish in them - perhaps DLP has its own ecosystem that we know little about. The real McCoy certainly beats the weather-worn moose in Frontierland.
                    WDW - 1987 & 1991
                    DLR - October 2011

Comment

On our first visit to DLP we spotted a Peacock roaming around free on the paths near BTM. Freaked me out at first as I hadn't expected it.

Also I do think the sparrows are a pest. Particularily near the toilets in fantasyland next to Au Chalet de la Marionnette. I was waiting for my wife (who was in the toilet) and I started to get paranoid and walked around until I spotted a safe area.

Comment

Originally posted by alpop View Post

Also I do think the sparrows are a pest. Particularily near the toilets in fantasyland next to Au Chalet de la Marionnette. I was waiting for my wife (who was in the toilet) and I started to get paranoid and walked around until I spotted a safe area.
                        Welcome to MiceChat Geordie!

Ironically, it was that exact spot where my bird-feeding/grumpy-CM encounter occured!
                        WDW - 1987 & 1991
                        DLR - October 2011

Comment

Hmmm. I was there plenty of times; I liked the birds. Now if they'd been rats...

Comment

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
                            Welcome to MiceChat Geordie!
                            Thanks, (insert token Whey Eye pet!) the weird thing with forums is your never really sure where people are from!!
                            (also I couldn't find an introductions thread)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X