X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrinceAuryn
    New MiceChatter
    • Feb 2007

Trip Report Who would I email/write to...?

I was in the parks on Monday. It was my girlfriend, my brother (who is also a mice chatter) and I. We had gotten off Innoventions, and wanted to go on the train. But as we walked up the path, guess what we were met with?

If you are getting on the train station at Tomorrowland, or getting off at the Tomorrowland station, you have to walk by a designated smoking area.

Are you kidding me? There were like 30 people all smoking it up right across from the Autopia. How long has this been going on, and who do I write to to complain.

I've been an Annual passholder since 1995, and I've never wanted to complain about anything more than this (even after they opened California Adventure with half the entertainment promised, after they closed Captain EO (my favorite attraction) and replaced it with something that should have been retired years ago, and even after they closed my favorite ride the PeopleMover).

>_> Sorry for the rant ^_^
  • mousechild
    Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
    • Oct 2007

Re: Who would I email/write to...?

Oh, let's start the weekend off with a smoking at Disneyland thread. They always add a ton of goodwill via the polite sharing of different opinions and viewpoints. I can't imagine why anyone will get bent out of shape over this topic.

Please hold off for just a moment while I grab my popcorn and flameproof suit.

PS I love that you threw in the "I've been an AP holder since xxxx" line, that never gets nasty comments started.
    Originally posted by SummerInFL
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

• MsSarah
      formerly PretzelSouls!
      • Aug 2007

The smoking area has been there as long as I can remember.
      "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• TikiRoomLiz
        MiceChatter
        • Oct 2006

It's been there for a while, and if you're in line for Autopia ... the smell of exhaust fumes from the cars and the second hand smoke is some experience!

Comment

• EmeralineDragon
          Cranky Dragon is Cranky
          • Jan 2005

Are you wanting to complain about the location of the designated smoking area, or just about people using it? Personally, I'm always glad when smokers actually use the smoking areas instead of lighting up randomly in the park.
          Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
          : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

• pratt55
            Arizona's own
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Mar 2006

You can go to the Disney website and send a comment through the site OR you can do a search on this site for smoking issues and you'll discover that this topic is far worse than beating a herd of horses.

I am going to the store now to pick up the licorice and diet coke for the time that this thread lasts.
            sigpic

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
              Banned User
              • Jun 2006

The smoking area has been there since Nemo opened. The smokers gets a good dose of the Autopia fumes!! The old smoking area used to be by the Matternhorn and the Auto 3 area before Nemo opened.

Comment

• PEZZ Lightyear
                PEZZ in the Fez
                • Aug 2006

It's been there since they closed the one across from Matterhorn to make way for Nemo queue.

Until they outlaw smoking entirely and give people nicotine patches at the turnstiles, there will be smoking areas somewhere inside the Park. This seems to be the best they could come up with in Tomorrowland.
                How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
                :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

• InnerSpace
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2006

That smoking area has been around for quite some time. They moved it there when the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage attraction opened to accommodate the really long lines. It used to be just across the Matterhorn, but it is now used for the line for the Submarines on the really busy days.

I do, however, agree that they shouldn't put a smoking area right where guests have to walk right through if they entering or exiting the train station. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke (I can't understand how anyone could), so I usually try to avoid the Tomorrowland Train Station. After all, I really don't want to inhale second hand smoke and get my lungs all messed up (And I really can't understand why anyone would).

And I can't understand why people have to come here to ask everything. If you want to know where or whom to write to, look it up. Go to Disneyland.com, or the Disney Company. When people ask what the crowds will be like on a certain day, How should I know, that day hasn't come yet!

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
                    Banned User
                    • Jun 2006

I would love to be in the park with a fire extinuisher and when I come across smokers I want to yell out, "FIRE!" and spray them with the extinguisher. I would tell them that they were smoking and I must take appropiate actions!! :evil: :lol:

Comment

• tinkermonkey
                      has a brand new mindset
                      MiceChat Moderator
                      • Oct 2005

I'll take a moment to jump on your bandwagon and skip the red vines and cherry coke just yet. I think you have a right to voice your concerns around here and being new, might not have realized that this subject has come up more than once around here. Yes, Disneyland allows smoking and thankfully, they have some areas that it is limited to - but are all these areas in the best locations for the rest of the guests? No. Could that be changed? I think so.

My daughter has compromised lungs as a result of being born very premature (16 weeks early). She does ok if she is around limited cigarette smoke but walking through the smoking areas can put her in a long lasting coughing fit. It isn't just at DL either - in Washington State we now have laws that involve no smoking any closer than 25 feet from the entrance to a business. So, they smoke along the sidewalks leading up to the doors instead and usually, the business or mall has created a smoking area along the walkways. Most of the time, we can avoid this by using a different entrance. Same thing at DL - we just don't get on or off the train at Tomorrowland unless the smoking area looks thin enough for her to make it through. This is only a problem if she really wants to go to the Jedi Training Academy and the show is starting *rightnow* - she is old enough now that she says "Mom, I'll just hold my breath until we are past it." It works, sort of.
                      I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you�d meet a kid,
                      then 10 seconds later you�d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

• Legally Brunette
                        MiceChatter

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post
                        And I can't understand why people have to come here to ask everything. If you want to know where or whom to write to, look it up. Go to Disneyland.com, or the Disney Company. When people ask what the crowds will be like on a certain day, How should I know, that day hasn't come yet!
                        Easy...the OP's a n00B. It seems like a good question and by the looks of some of the responses, it will liven up the boards a bit

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                          Blind to His Own Faults
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Legally Brunette View Post
                          Easy...the OP's a n00B. It seems like a good question and by the looks of some of the responses, it will liven up the boards a bit
                          Agreed. We are all starting to 'come down' from the Duck's thread chronicling his unjust reward, and we could use a little pick-me-up.

In any case, to answer the OP's question, you may write:
                          Disneyland Guest Relations
                          1313 Harbor Boulevard
                          Post Office Box 3232
                          Anaheim, CA 92803

or I suppose you could call ((714) 781-4773) or e-mail, but I doubt this would be taken as seriously (assuming the written reply will be taken with any measure of seriousness either).

What would you say in your letter? Would you propose they move the smoking area?

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                            Mrs. J. Depp
                            • Mar 2008

Luckily i never board or depart the train in Tommorrowland, so I didn't know about this area. That sounds bad. Nothing like walking through a cloud of smoke to ruin a magical day. I'm heavily allergic to cigarette smoke.

Facebook me!
                            Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
                              Seasick
                              • Oct 2007

Not a fan of cigarette smoke, but walking through a smoking area once or twice a day is a non-issue for me.

I imagine Disney put the smoking area in the best possible spot they could. I can't think of any better locations for a Tomorrowland smoking area off hand. Maybe the perpetually unused outdoors Star Tours queue?

No harm in writing them a polite note or making the call if the issue truly concerns you.
                              My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
                                Banned User
                                • Jun 2006

There was one time that the smoking area was under the Rocket Rod track.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2008

I usually avoid these threads, I don't think people should be bothered by smoke, and feel bad for them, but it's a strong addiction. If people are as respectful as they can be, and use the designated smoking areas, I don't think it's fair to blame them or call for a complete ban of smoking.

If DL banned smoking, a lot of people would not go very often. I ask this question. Would you think it's fair for a kid never to get to experience DL because their Dad smokes and he won't go anywhere that he can't smoke all day. I agree that Dis didn't come up with a good solution in this case, but I don't like to hear the smoker bashing that seems to be acceptable these days. It's like people think because smokers made this one mistake in their lives of getting addicted to one of the most addictive substances known to man, now they're the most worthless scum of society who deserve to die. I just don't think this is right.
                                  Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• SingingAngel7242
                                    Off to Neverland
                                    • Nov 2005

I don't think it's wrong to have the designated areas especially when the people use them but I do agree that the placement of this particular one is horrible. That is the stop I typically will get off at and we shouldn't be forced to walk through clouds of smoke just because that's the stop we want to get off at.

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
                                      Mischievous Mouse
                                      • Oct 2007

A guest is a guest. If you had a good friend who smoked visit, would you
                                      accommodate them on your property (outside, of course) ? Just curious.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

• Soulquarian
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                                        I usually avoid these threads, I don't think people should be bothered by smoke, and feel bad for them, but it's a strong addiction. If people are as respectful as they can be, and use the designated smoking areas, I don't think it's fair to blame them or call for a complete ban of smoking.

If DL banned smoking, a lot of people would not go very often. I ask this question. Would you think it's fair for a kid never to get to experience DL because their Dad smokes and he won't go anywhere that he can't smoke all day. I agree that Dis didn't come up with a good solution in this case, but I don't like to hear the smoker bashing that seems to be acceptable these days. It's like people think because smokers made this one mistake in their lives of getting addicted to one of the most addictive substances known to man, now they're the most worthless scum of society who deserve to die. I just don't think this is right.
                                        Oh come on. In California, you pretty much can't smoke anywhere... yet I still see smokers visiting the movie theater, restaurants, malls, etc.

It's a mighty big stretch to say that lots of people wouldn't come because smoking was banned inside of DL.

In regards to your hypothetical kid situation, do you think it's fair that a kid has to endure second hand smoke for most of his life and suffer the medical consequences? We all make choices, and some we have to live with for the rest of our lives. No sympathy from me. I won't glare at you, or making stupid coughing sounds when I pass by you, but don't expect me to think you somehow deserve my pity either...

And FYI, Disneyland is not a right. No child has the "right" to go to Disneyland. I have lots of friends that have never been, and were never taken by their parents, so that doesn't quite fly with me either.

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                                        A guest is a guest. If you had a good friend who smoked visit, would you
                                        accommodate them on your property (outside, of course) ? Just curious.
                                        All my smoking friends know that I don't tolerate it. Period. Me being a Host doesn't mean I have to lower my standards or change my habits, and seeing how many friends I have that smoke, they are just fine with our understanding.

You do have a point though, about being outside. Why not move all the smoking areas to a place in the esplanade? Yes people will complain that it's too far to walk, and that your separating families, and etc. etc. etc., but hey, you made your choice! You can still make another one!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X