Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report TSMM - Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!!!!

DISCLAIMER: FIRST TIME TRIP REPORT AND ITS LONG!

What a fabulous day! Both my son and husband, separately, thanked me for arranging such a magical day at the Happiest Place on Earth – and my husband typically describes me as the General Patton of Disneyland.

We did manage to arrive just after the opening of Disneyland, a feat I have not been able to pull off since marrying my morning-challenged spouse and having our pokey, “I’ll be there in a minute” offspring. So under cloudy and cool skies, we arrived at the layer-cake parking garage to snag a spot in Daisy and hustle off to the tram. My husband immediately asked me to slow down. I wasn’t really rushing, I was just excited. Today we get to ride Toy Story!!! So I put the brakes on and let the family catch up.

With walk-on trams and no real crowds, we had a smooth approach to the security gate and saw CMs around the info booth already set up for the Toy Story preview. Great! We could get our passes early. We approached the booth with our 2 emails, DH and I both won 3 passes to the same time slot. We asked if that meant we could ride twice, but as we saw later, we could ride as many times as we wanted, all we needed was the one pass which was good for reentry.

After getting our passes, we went to DL to get in some magic before heading over to DCA. We arrived on Main Street at 8:30. The 4th of July bunting really made it seem like summer was here. After a whirl on the Matterhorn we headed over to Buzz as a warm up for Toy Story. I think Zurg just may end up ruling the galaxy if Buzz has to rely on space rangers like us. We scored 27,200, 14,000 and 4,600 respectively. No wonder we were all hiding our faces for the photo op at the end!

We then went to check out Rex and tour Endor but after waiting 20 minutes in what was a really short line, we jumped ship and headed over to River Belle Terrace for breakfast on the Rivers of America. We strolled through the hub and petted the beautiful lady horse pulling the trolley (didn’t get her name.) Since we were sure we wanted to come see the Indy show later, we went through Adventureland to scope out the scene and caught sight of a few of the runes strategically placed on the rooflines. Much to our dismay, Indy was down and no Fast Passes were available so we headed into the River Belle around 9:15 to fill up on come carbs and protein. Fuel and coffee gauges full we spent a few minutes enjoying the relative quiet of the early-ish morning without the raging crowds. The Mark Twain was a pretty picture at its mooring with ducks crash landing all around.

I doubled checked Indy while the family was finishing up and it was still down, so off I went to get Fast Passes for Big Thunder but it was down too. So we just finished up and headed off to DCA.

After 10:00 already, we went straight past the fountain, through the vineyard, over the lake, past the coaster and arrived at Toy Story in all its glory . . . . . only to find that it too was down. Sweaty and panting from keeping up with mom, my kid firmly planted his backside on the nearest bench and proclaimed that he was waiting until it was up. After a lengthy explanation that it could be down all day, we finally pried his backside from the bench and set out for Bug Land. Thank you to the friendly CMs that helped with that coaxing.

Our boy is a bit big for the bug rides but I love the themeing and my DH had never been in there. As expected, he loved it. First off we went into It’s Tough to Be a Bug. None of us had ever seen the theatre or the show and were all charmed immediately. My husband has a Ph.D in theatre and is a director and his initial opinion was that it is the best theatre he has ever seen. Granted, he hasn’t been to Greece but that is still high praise. After thoroughly enjoying the show and getting caught by all the effects, we strolled through the land, rode the bumper cars and took the Chew-Chew. Upon exiting, DH pronounced the land better than the movie. Success! DH is not one to praise lightly, he prides himself on his curmudgeon-factor.

Happiness quotient hitting a high mark, we set off back to TSMM to see if it was up and running. This time we walked through Paradise Pier. I was lusting after the Jumping Jellies thinking about Duck44’s Disney Dream Suite win when I saw a familiar couple walking toward us. Being a longtime resident of the OC, I went through my mental list. Do we know them from cub scouts? Little League? UC, Irvine? Sailing School? Are they lawyers like us? Actors from one of DH’s shows? NOPE – it was the most famous soccer player in the world and his pop star wife. None other than Victoria and David Beckham with their own grommets -- they look like the moms and dads that sit next to us on the T-Ball field. Uber cool. Nice to see celebs dressed down and kickin’ it with the kids. No plaids, no entourage. I did do a double take on Posh’s tattoo on the back of her neck just to be able to check and make sure it was her later (and yes it was.) Sorry, no pics. Didn’t want to disrupt normal family time.

Child paid no attention to the Beckhams – he was focused on Toy Story. This time, it was up and we took our places in line. The building was hot and rather airless despite the ceiling fans. This will be no picnic in July if they don’t do something about that. We had made it to the first turn in line and were just at the far corner when the ride broke down. Since we were fortunate enough to be in a cross breeze we decided to stay put and wait out the delay which the CM said should be 10-15 minutes. We were relatively comfortable because of our open location but had we been 4 feet ahead or back in line, we would have been miserable. So after 15 minutes were moving again. No Mr. Potato Head - he was “on vacation” according to CMs, - in Hawaii getting “baked” according to DH.

For DH’s description of the ride (he writes purtier than me) – check our blog here:
    http://1031netex.wordpress.com/2008/...m-is-for-real/

Without reading Kevin Yee’s spoilers ahead of time, we ended up as follows: DH’s high score 156K+, mine was 127K+, and the munchkin claims 225K+ but that was not independently verifiable. Disclaimer: he rode behind us, asked for our scores first, and is a notorious fibber - so, Gamers, don’t be alarmed.

Thoroughly tired out after 8x times on the ride, we walked through PP, hit the SS Rustworthy for a short play break and headed over to the Farmers Market to refill our fuel tanks. 3:45 and we had to choose between the Play Parade and Indy. Indy won so off we went to DL.

We caught a ride on the train over to New Orleans Station and headed straight to the Indy show. On our way over the POC bridge and past the tree house, we caught sight of Indy in the crowd, he was red-faced, hot and sweaty in his leather jacket. He took one look at the villain in the tree house and said miserably, “another bridge!” and boy did we believe it. Up the tree he scampered and met his foe on the suspension bridge. The crowd cheered him on as he kicked villain butt and we roared our approval as he triumphed, getting back the precious map. (I checked Indy and it was STILL down L)

After the battle, Indy descended and headed off to the temple. We followed the bouncing red Angels hat as our son took off behind him. Arriving at “the temple,” we got in line for the next show. I left the family in line and I went off to procure a famous Dole Whip. 4 people ahead of me and a 20 minute wait. OMG!!!! But it was worth it!! Yummy cool deliciousness is kryptonite to hot sweaty stickiness. I am a believer! Son took one taste and made a “yuck” face and hubby said it was so-so. YEAH! More for me!

All I can say about the show is my son loved it, Indy was great when he finally arrived, and I had my Dole Whip to keep me happy. ‘Nuf said. Of course we are a theatre family and have high standards for acting and stage combat. [Definitely preferred ITTBAB]. After the show we followed the red Angels cap again as our own Short Round located and translated the runes on the rooflines – good family fun!

Then we were off to cruise the jungle. A fast moving line put us on a boat pretty quickly and we were off. Our guide was a bit lackluster but perhaps we were still cranky from the Indy show. I spotted the umbrella, crate, and the crystal skull rune and Short Round swears he saw a monkey holding Lau Che’s diamond – but given the “high score” on Toy Story, we are skeptical.

After the Cruise, we caught the jazz band and some beads on Royal Street, just before Front Street. Next we agreed to visit the Mansion – a huge deal since our son was previously terrified of the ghost-host. We rode without incident and our newly minted “big kid” had a great time. Upon our departure we requested Death Certificates. After about 10 minutes wait time, DH and Short Round said they’d meet me topside. After I had finished counting all 131 doom buggies, the nice CM explained that she couldn’t get anyone to come down but that we were welcome to ride again and perhaps she could have them ready for us. I thanked her and declined – we’ll get them next time.

Short Round came off the ride talking the ear off of some poor kid from Oregon. The mom looked relieved to be rid of the extra baggage. We fought the parade traffic down Main Street and hit the lighter than usual trams around 8:00.

We said good-bye to the Magic and headed South, sweaty, dirty, tired and happy.

Again, you can check out our blog comment on Toy Story Mania! and the Beckhams by clicking here.

Post-script: We arrived home to terrible news of the tornado decimating the Iowa scout camp. Our prayers go out to those boys and their families and it is with a heavy heart that I am packing our SUV today for our Cub Scout graduation camp-out. My DH is the Cub Master so perhaps we will honor our fellow scouts with a moment of silence at our campfire and raise the flag only half mast.
    Last edited by maximmom; 06-12-2008, 04:28 PM.

Re: TSMM - Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!!!!

Great report, I had a chance to ride TSMM Tuesday evening, it was a blast!
    sigpic

Comment

Are you a writer? If not, you should be. I really enjoyed reading your report!
      sigpic
      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

thanks for the props - writing is part of my skill set as a lawyer but I usually have to tone it way down for Judgey

Comment

Great TR. Loved reading it.

I will never look at Jumping Jellies the same
          Originally posted by Grumpee
          I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about TSMM. Thanks for sharing your TR.
            sigpic
            Home away from Home.

Comment

Great report, Sometimes it's nice to have a story and imagine the pics in my mind.

Comment

It looks like you had a wonderful day.
                Hope you improve on both BLAB and TSMM.
                Oh, no photos....
                What day did you guys go to the Disneyland Resort?
                "You are watching FOX"

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
                  It looks like you had a wonderful day.
                  Hope you improve on both BLAB and TSMM.
                  Oh, no photos....
                  What day did you guys go to the Disneyland Resort?
                  We went yesterday, 6/11. I have a few pics but can't figure out how to post them.

Comment

First save your photos on Photobucket.

Then on Photobucket click the photo you want to post the picture of.

Then right click on the properties then copy the URL

Then Paste it on the Insert image button from mice age post.

"You are watching FOX"

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
                      First save your photos on Photobucket.

Then on Photobucket click the photo you want to post the picture of.

Then right click on the properties then copy the URL

Then Paste it on the Insert image button from mice age post.

Thanks. I'll try it as soon as I get up tomorrow.

Comment

maximmom, your trip report? Loved it, loved it, loved it!

What a great report! This is one of the best text-only trip reports I've read in a while. You write very well and I didn't miss looking for photos as in other text trip reports. Thanks for sharing your experiences here. And congrats on having such a great trip. I can't wait to ride TSMM myself. All the reviews here on MC have me super excited for it.

Comment

Excellent trip report! You are an exceptional writer. Really you are. I loved reading this. The way you explained it made it easy to picture. No photos necessary! I love how you took to calling your son Short Round. ) "That funny!" Sounds like you all had a good time. Glad to hear it!

Comment

I had no idea they actually would give you death certificates on the Haunted Mansion.

Comment

ok - now my iphone won't cooperate. It refuses to give up the pics!

I have to go camping now so I can't try again until Monday but I shall not be defeated !!! I can master technology.

My DH did snap a cute shot of me with Flik and Atta and I like the one of Short Round sulking on the floor of the queue while TSMM was down.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X