This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Becoming a Cast Member

I am moving to Orange County for college in about a month, and I applied for a job at Disneyland. I have some questions that some of you (especially the current or former cast members) might know the answers to.

1. I was told upon walking in that there were no more summer positions available and that there is a waiting list about 1,000 people deep for fall positions. You get on this waiting list if you make it through the interviews. They basically said that you can still apply if you want but getting a job is a long shot and there will be no jobs for anyone until Aug. or Sept. I wonder if this is just a way of deterring people who aren't really that interested in the job, or if it really is the truth? I always thought that with any company, Disney included, if they really like you they will find a place for you.

2. I have heard horror stories about scheduling, people having to decide between taking a final in school or showing up to work. Has anyone experienced this?

3. Is there any shot at getting time off in the Holidays? I am from NorCal so going home for Christmas is not just a day trip for me, it would have to be at least a three day weekend. I would like to see my family at some point in the weeks around Christmas.

4. Any other warnings or encouragements you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Re: Becoming a Cast Member

1. I never heard of a waiting lsit but even if there is you'd be called in rather quickly with the high turn over rate and all.

2. Scheduling is rough. If you first start out it maybe be hard...nvm it WILL be hard to get it changed around if your new there..thats if your full time. Basically when they want you to come in, its suggested you do or else..

3. Tricky question. What position did you apply for??? I know on the application they ask if you can work holidays. If your fully available you have a better shot..but then again family is important.

4. So far this has sounded pretty negative but its not all bad! Once you get in there its good place to be. Wish you the best of luck! Since your a college student im sure they'll work with you just let them know from the get go.

Comment

Check out the "Break Room" fourms, I think they can help you more.

http://micechat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=26

Last edited by MsSarah; 06-22-2008, 12:18 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink.
      "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I wrote that I wanted guest relations, specifically tours, and entertainment costuming as a backup. And when I asked about holidays they basically said you don't get an interview if you don't agree to work holidays. As for the high turnover rate, I knew about it, hence my surprise when they said there were no openings.
        I didn't mean to sound so negative though, it was actually a great experience. Everyone at the casting center was very helpful and nice, the efficiency in that place is remarkable.

Comment

Oh and thank you for the Break Room suggestion, I haven't been on here much lately, didn't even know that was there

Comment

NorCal!!! YAY! I graduated from BCP. Well good luck with casting. I would be in your position right now, but i decided to go to UC Santa Cruz. Anyways...Good luck!!!

SUPPORT THE CMs

sigpic
            For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Comment

I don't work for Disney, though I did apply back in May.

There is indeed a long waiting list. More so, if you didn't put that you'd take everything, then it's even less likely something would open up. Keep in mind that current Disney CM get to move from department to department before they open those positions to incoming CMs. So something like Guest Relations isn't going to be opening up anytime soon (not to mention they like people who've been working at the Resort for some time). The turnover rate isn't as high as it used to be due to the current economy.

I've heard stories about people needing to take Disney over school, but mostly because they didn't request it off way in advance. Find out when you're midterms are and let them know early.

Holidays are required unless you've been there for about 5 years or so. Keep this in mind, CRs are required to work Weekends and Holidays. CTs need to be available for Holidays. Either way, you're working Holidays. We work, so others can play.

Disney requires the best out of everyone they hire. Keep in mind that if you have times you'll need off due to school, let them know way in advance. Don't expect them to be happy if you're letting them know a week or even two in advance. School dates don't tend to change, and Disney understands if working for them is important, then you'll take the time to let them know in advance when you need the time off.

Otherwise, have fun, and enjoy yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FantasmicPrincess View Post
                I wrote that I wanted guest relations, specifically tours, and entertainment costuming as a backup. And when I asked about holidays they basically said you don't get an interview if you don't agree to work holidays. As for the high turnover rate, I knew about it, hence my surprise when they said there were no openings.
                I didn't mean to sound so negative though, it was actually a great experience. Everyone at the casting center was very helpful and nice, the efficiency in that place is remarkable.
                bold = mine

that's why you heard of the "waiting list" right there. you're applying for positions that aren't normal entry ones.

apply for a grunt position and bammo, you'd be in traditions by now
                PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat View Post
                  apply for a grunt position and bammo, you'd be in traditions by now
                  Not so much.

But yeah, be more open and your chances are higher.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Comment

Originally posted by ashley solo View Post
                    Not so much.

But yeah, be more open and your chances are higher.
                    ppft, i guarentee if she applied for Stores/Foods/ or ODV she'd be in the park by now

specially ODV
                    PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                    Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                    3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat View Post
                      ppft, i guarentee if she applied for Stores/Foods/ or ODV she'd be in the park by now

specially ODV
                      They are booked at this point even for custodial. Not as many current CMs left this summer as expected.

Comment

If you can't work during the Christmas season then I think it would be best not to apply for the job, as that time is mandatory for CR's and CT's alike to work.
                        Jeff Wayne

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X