• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MousieMagic
    MiceChatter
    • May 2007

Trip Report Light Mouses Tiki Adventures

(Pics are added and are in the posts following. There's pics of the tiki fountain in action as well. Unless you get lithiums the pump is not very strong.)

Saturday the 21st of June, 2008

Around 3:30 or so I decided to head to the parks to at least get up in the area to get my Enchanted Tiki Room stuff the next day. On my way up there I made a quick and potentially fatal (crossing over 3 lanes, I did look and I was clear) move over on the freeway to make a stop off at the harbor. I took pictures of some crabs and a sea lion that was swimming around the harbor. Not too much to look at there but what really made me get back in the car was the heat. Now, that was just a start to my heat related complaints for this weekend. I know I can't do much about it though.

Back on the road with the windows down since my AC isn't very strong, back on my way to the parks. At about 20 miles I away I started to get tired, could have been from being up and awake for so long (I get up at about 3:30, I'm writing this post at 4:13 AM) without having much to eat other than a bagel. So I stopped off at Carl's Jr. and had a delicious burger and zuccini combo. As I was eating my burger quickly in the car, I got a text from Thrax asking if I was going to be at the parks today. I replied that I was already on my way and would be there in an hour.

Got to the parks and met up with Thrax and TikiRoomLiz at the Golden Horseshoe. We wandered around a bit and did the tourist thing. When I get photos posted I'll caption them on our adventures.

At about 10 we decided to call it a day and get some sleep before the tiki event. I went back into Disneyland to drool over my fountain-to-be and take pictures which will also likely be posted when I get back. After that I stayed with my aunt that lives in Mission Viejo, not too far, not as close as I'd like, but not all the way home and half a tank of gas later to go there and back. They stayed up until about 1 and watched TV in the room I was to sleep in. I also got in a shower because I just felt sticky and disgusting and it would get worse the next day.

Sunday the 22nd of June, 2008

I finally woke up around 4 to get to downtown Disney parking at 5 and then stumble toward the main gate at 5:30. I saw a few people waiting in line for the pins and I thought I saw Aladin but I wasn't sure. I passed the security tables (no one there at 5:30) at headed for the front gates. It's really cool seeing all what happens just hours before we head into the parks, like the monorail service vehicle! I met this one guy who was from Yuma, Arizona. He got there at 5, not that much before me. We talked and another Disney fan came up later on and he joined in too. At about 6, security came by and told us that we had to wait back at the security tables. We knew what order we got there in so we waited in line at security and was nice about who got back to the gates when. Aladin joined me at that time too I believe. Now, being that it was a magical morning, we had a disadvantage for not staying in a Disney hotel. Being let in at 7 instead of 8 would give us an advantage of at least 20 people waiting in line, especially for fountains. I didn't think it would be needed especially with how many fountains were in the collection. I knew I wouldn't be the 300th person, there weren't that many people in line.

This is when Liz and Spencer walked up and not only stood in line, but the Magical Morning line. At this pointed I walked over to them and started talking with them. So sweet! Also Legally Brunette and All4Disney and . . . the name escapes me were all there too. Early entry to make it to the shop earlier and have a much better chance at getting fountains. When we were let in we proceeded to jog to the Disneyana store, there were too many turnstiles open for any type of order to happen. So we waited and waited and waited for an hour for the shop to open.

Hazzah! It opened! I could smell my fountain. *snort* The lines moved very slow. At about 8:45 or 9, we found out that we found out that there was a shortage on fountains and they only got about 50 of them in. WHAT?! I was still 3 people back in line and they're out of fountains already!? They had flippin' 600 of them in the set!

So all of us were pissed, some were talking with the CMs working the event in hopes that if they can't get it today, can they place an order for one to be shipped to them? Nope, not budging. Just screw you and your money that you spent to be here, you didn't get in line early enough. I know at least half of the line that day was there JUST for the fountains. At that time I had to quickly think about what I'd buy now that I couldn't get my fountain. I decided on a fruit bowl and the lucite bracelet, maybe a few other things but those are the main items.

About 10 minutes later we were let into the store. As I walked in All4Disney (I think it was you) asked me if I could hold a box for Dusty, it was a tiki fountain she saved for him. Now, the fountain WAS NOT for him. It was for Kevin Yee (I think) who couldn't attend the event. So thank you MiceChatters for being brotherly (or sisterly) and helping each other out. Dusty walked in a couple seconds after I did and we told him about it and I walked off to go get the stuff that I wanted. The guy that was at the gates before I was asked me outside if I could grab him a Hawaiian shirt so he didn't have to wait two hours in line. He gave me some cash for it and I really didn't mind, he was there at 5 AM and he should have been even in front of me in line.

At that point, before I even got to the wall of merchandise I was tapped on the shoulder by Aladin. He asked me how many fountains I wanted. I didn't even questioned it just answered. They had more! They found some in the back. I told the cast member I wanted two and Aladin said he wanted one. At this point I was super happy about the event. It was a huge let down finding out they ran out, but totally awesome they found a few more later on. In the end I bought two fountains, a shirt (for that guy), and a lucite bracelet. It came to about $415 and my AP brought it down to about $380. I only had $380 on me to begin with and the guy handed me $80 to get his shirt. I had 80 left over after that which went to lunch and filling up my gas tank after I left later that day.

At first I was going to drop off the boxes at the package drop off place at the front gate. I used Judi Mouse's wheelchair to do this since she was inside the theater getting stuff signed, I wheeled it over then waited for a minute. I thought about my car in downtown Disney. It's been there for at least 4 hours now and I really don't want to spend more money than I really have to. So I wheeled my boxes back to the theater to give the chair back to Judi. Hastin and... I can't who else was there but Judi had just come out. I explained about my car that it would be easier to walk with the boxes to my car in downtown Disney and go park in the structure. Hastin volunteered to help me out to my car and I totally appreciate it. He was half joking half not about buying my second fountain. We got to the booth and no one was there yet. Free parking! So we put the fountains in my trunk and moved my car.

When we got back to the parks we met up with the Clinks, Dusty/Fishy, and IndianaJenn and Joe at Cafe Orleans. At this point they were just finishing up breakfast and wanted to hit the AC in attractions. We went on Pooh, then Mansion, then Pirates, all of them having wonderful AC. At that point it was time for the meet. We wished TheRockR happy b-day and such and had a good time. I handed out leis in celebration of the tiki room anniversary.

We went for lunch at White Water Snacks which was packed but we still found tables and loved the AC. At this point the group broke up a bit. I really don't blame them, the heat was killing many of us and some had been there since the wee hours of the morning for the tiki event. I'm surprised I stayed til I did. At that point I just ran around with the group of ragamuffins and misfits and a fresh alcohol virgin, well . . . freshly legal to purchase at least. By about 4 I was sweaty all over and just wanted to go home.

As I was driving home I saw a huge dark cloud in Oceanside. WTH? I thought maybe there was a fire, it was pretty hot and I could see it happening. As I got closer it didn't look dark enough but . . . OMG it's fog! Precious fog! It felt so nice driving through the mist after how hot it had been all day.

My fountain is currently downstairs all lit up and running. To those of you who did buy them and have them set up. Replace the batteries. The batteries that come with it are very weak and the fountain spouts will only dribble while if you put in new batteries you'll have a 3/4 inch high stream of water coming out.

To anyone wondering, yes I did buy two fountains. I am keeping one for myself and unsure what to do with the other. Please don't PM me about wanting to buy it, I will put you on a list of people who, if I do decide to sell it, will not be getting any chance at it. If I do decide to sell it, I will make a thread about it and then I'll accept PMs about it.
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 06-23-2008, 11:47 PM.
  • gRuMpEe
    My liver hurts!
    • Oct 2007

Re: Light Mouses Tiki Adventures

Heard about your adventure from my sis!!!
    Sounds like QUITE an EXPERIENCE!!! Too crazy for me though!!
    Originally posted by PEZZ Lightyear
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

Comment

• b236en
      • Jun 2008

Great report so far, I almost feel like I was there.. were they giving away fountains??

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
        Banned User
        • Jun 2006

It's so sad, I am a disappointment. I am not that much of a Disney fan to obsess over Tiki merchandise,

Comment

• penguinsoda
          Jester of Randomness
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by b236en View Post
          Great report so far, I almost feel like I was there.. were they giving away fountains??
          Disney doesn't give away anything.... except dream fastpasses. The fountains are $150.00.

Read through this thread for more info/history:

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/tiki_room_turns_45_there-98283.html

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• TikiRoomLiz
            MiceChatter
            • Oct 2006

That was indeed a fun, and crazy, weekend! Can't wait to see the pictures though.

Comment

• MousieMagic
              MiceChatter
              • May 2007

My house and traveling to the parks with slight detours

Comment

• MousieMagic
                MiceChatter
                • May 2007

At the parks on Saturday

Comment

• MousieMagic
                  MiceChatter
                  • May 2007

Tiki merch!

Comment

• Melonballer
                    Shablagoo!
                    • May 2005

Keep it coming. Thanks for the report and pics

Comment

• MousieMagic
                      MiceChatter
                      • May 2007

Unboxing and putting the fountain together

Comment

• All4dISNEY
                        At one w/ our Disneyness
                        • Mar 2007

great recap TR LM, and you're very welcome. Insanely crazy day, but a good day.
                        Great pics - esp. the fountain. Won't be home from our Roadtrip til after July 2nd so I was thrilled to see the play by play set up you've shared! thanks again.
                        Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

• Melonballer
                          Shablagoo!
                          • May 2005

As I said before, great stuff.

Comment

• TikiRoomLiz
                            MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
                            At the parks on Saturday

Love those two pictures!!!

As for the Tiki event, the Tiki gods were indeed smiling upon us and everything worked out well ... for us at least. I can only imagine for the 50th Tiki event ... .
                            Last edited by TikiRoomLiz; 06-24-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• MousieMagic
                              MiceChatter
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                              As for the Tiki event, the Tiki gods were indeed smiling upon us and everything worked out well ... for us at least. I can only imagine for the 50th Tiki event ... .
                              I know... I'm so staying on property for that and making a mad dash to Disneyana from the gates.

Comment

• Melonballer
                                Shablagoo!
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by Light Mouse View Post
                                I know... I'm so staying on property for that and making a mad dash to Disneyana from the gates.

See you there. I think I will have to be at that one.

Comment

• WheresMickey
                                  Looking for Hidden Mickey
                                  • May 2008

Nice fountain!
                                  Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

• aashee
                                    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                                    • Aug 2006

It looked like the fountain had a music box on the bottom. If so, what Tiki song did it play??

Comment

• Legally Brunette
                                      MiceChatter

• Feb 2008

Awesome pictures! I was crazy that day. I'm glad I got what I wanted, but I do feel badly for all the people who left without the items they wanted. It is too bad that Disney didn't announce that there were only 50 fountains available that day.

I love that the fountain wasn't hard to assemble. The only hard part now is trying to keep my 2-year old from wanting to touch it.

Comment

• MousieMagic
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Melonballer View Post
                                        See you there. I think I will have to be at that one.
                                        Maybe we should have a MC room at the hotel. Just get one room and tell people to bring sleeping bags if they want to stay. We all work together to make sure all of us get everything we want.

Originally posted by WheresMickey View Post
                                        Nice fountain!
                                        Thanks! Everytime I walk by it as I'm going up or down the stairs I smile at it.

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                                        It looked like the fountain had a music box on the bottom. If so, what Tiki song did it play??
                                        There's a battery compartment at the top with three screws to hold it in. The compartment cover also has a loop for the tiki birds to hook onto. There's a wire at the bottom of the top piece that runs down to power the pump in the base. No song though, although I don't think it would be much to add a small music box to it too, would probably add a good $20 for that though. :P

Originally posted by Legally Brunette View Post
                                        Awesome pictures! I was crazy that day. I'm glad I got what I wanted, but I do feel badly for all the people who left without the items they wanted. It is too bad that Disney didn't announce that there were only 50 fountains available that day.

I love that the fountain wasn't hard to assemble. The only hard part now is trying to keep my 2-year old from wanting to touch it.
                                        I agree with you, I'm sad they didn't announce it earlier but I guess people were going to find out one way or another and they wanted to hold off on complaints for as long as possible.

The fountain was super easy to put together, just put it in and twist it to lock it in. You have a two year old that wants to play with it. I have something worse, Puppies that want to use it as a drinking fountain!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X