X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dole Pineapple whip secret?

Here is a blog that chronicles one mans quest to get the perfect Dole Whip
    http://www.scottkleper.com/wordpress/?p=55

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Is it made from real Girl Scouts?
      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by tayakaleb View Post
        We just made some of these for 4th of July. Ours turned out pretty good. We didn't use a mix but it has dairy in the ingredients. Here is the recipe we used....

1 quart Dole pineapple juice
        1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
        3 cups heavy whipping cream
        3 cups sugar
        Milk

Mix the pineapple juice and sugar, making sure that the sugar is dissolved.
        Next add the cream and vanilla.
        Pour the whole mixture into a 4-quart ice cream maker.
        Add milk to finish, filling to the fill line.
        At this point simply follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
        This sounds absolutely HEAVENLY. Too bad I don't have an ice cream maker

Comment

I think half the battle is freeze speed - the "freeze the Chamber" (full of glycol based antifreeze) type machines can't freeze it as fast as the refrigerated ones. And forget a hand crank machine - you have to be constant with the churn.

And fill it only half-way so it freezes faster and gets more air churned in - You need to get a lot of "overrun" or air beaten into the finished product to get the texture right - it's an ice based product rather than dairy based, so you have to get the ice crystals smaller.

Or you could go get a used real commercial soft-serve freezer - there should be a lot more old Taylor soft-serve machines available on the used market for cheap, because of the fancier new machines being sold that can be left running for a month between cleanings.

(The new machines have refrigerated reservoir tanks, lots of sensors and an electronic monitor so if power is lost overnight it will alarm, stop, and make the restaurant staff clean it out. The old ones you have to disassemble and clean daily, and you can only 'recycle' the leftover mix so many times before you have to dump it. Big savings on labor and raw product.)

Oh, and Disneyphile's old Dole Whip Soda experiment? You are trying to take pineapple juice which is mildly acidic yet balanced off with the sugar, and add Carbonic Acid (CO2) to it and make it REALLY acidic. The whole idea does not bode well...

--<< Bruce >>--
          There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I sure appreciate it!

I conducted a few experiments this weekend - and I'm happy to say that I was victorious!! Yay! My final product had the right consistency and taste as the disneyland version (minus the tiki ambiance....hehe). When I made it before - the dole whip was translucent and had a sorbet look to it. I finally figured out how to make it creamy!

A few things I did differently:
            1. Added less water. In small lettering on the directions (I must have missed it before...in my haste to get the dole whip into my mouth in the least amount of time possible) it says "for creamier product, add less water." Duh.
            2. Refrigerated the dole whip mixture a few hours before, to get it super cold - this helped it firm up in the ice cream maker.
            3. Before I dumped the mixture into the ice cream maker, I put it through the blender - this added a bit of air to the mixture, fluffing it up - and the translucency disappeared and the mix took on a more creamy texture. I guess this is where the WHIP part comes in.....hehe.
            4. Left the mixture in the ice cream maker for 30 min, instead of the recommended 25.

And viola! The perfect dole whip!

Also, as a side note - it doesn't do well in the freezer after creation (unless it's in a commercial soft serve machine that has the proper temperature). So plan on devouring the whip after you make it. Which for me, is no problem. "you mean I have to eat the whole thing!?" Well ok....don't have to ask me twice!

My results:

Happy Dole Whip Making!
            And thanks again to all that replyed with helpful hints! That is...except for Indiana_James who said " I know the secret. But i'll never tell! I'll never tell!" Not very helpful! Hehe.

Comment

Wow... that looks perfect! You're right though, the Tiki ambiance is a major factor. Thanks for making my mouth water.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X