Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

The Oldest Element of Disneyland

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Pictures] The Oldest Element of Disneyland

    A element which gets little mention, and would not even be in the park were it not for the generosity of Lillian Disney...let's hear it for Walt's famous petrified tree stump! I realized a few trips ago I didn't have a photo of it...so here we are, the oldest feature of Disneyland park. Three cheers for the stump!

    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  • #2
    Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

    And it's from Colorado =D yay!

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

      I love the stump too. Great touch!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

        I could very likely be wrong but isn't the Anaheim dirt older?
        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

        sigpic

        "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

          Originally posted by techskip View Post
          I could very likely be wrong but isn't the Anaheim dirt older?
          Your Jungle Cruise spiels are probably older. You buzzkill.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

            The Great Stump deserves worshippers--its older than all the world's religions.

            "That is not dead which can eternally lie,
            And with strange eons even death may die."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

              Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
              Your Jungle Cruise spiels are probably older. You buzzkill.
              Hah, burn. The dirt is probably pretty old as well, but the stump is quite aged, no doubt about it...plus I just didn't have any photos of the dirt heh.
              when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                Originally posted by aashee View Post
                I love the stump too. Great touch!
                I vote the park makes Petrified Tree Stump merchandise. T-shirts and spinny light up wands, anyone?
                when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                  Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                  The Great Stump deserves worshippers--its older than all the world's religions.

                  "That is not dead which can eternally lie,
                  And with strange eons even death may die."
                  Heh nice quotage....the Great Old Ones do indeed improve of the stump, with all it's....bark-y goodness. Ia ia stump fhtagn!
                  when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                    Originally posted by techskip View Post
                    I could very likely be wrong but isn't the Anaheim dirt older?
                    Actually, since the Anaheim dirt is the top soil layers and only down a maximum of 10 feet or so, then i doubt it is older than the petrified forest whose trees range from 200 to 250 million years old. The dirt while it may have older components is most likely fairly recent (only several tens of millions of years old). The deeper layers are most likely significantly older, but the top layers, probably not so much. Especially given the proximity to the ocean and run off from the mountains. By comparison, La Brea tar pits are only about 1.8 million years old, dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. Fossils from 30,000 years ago dug up in the are of the tar pits are buried nearly 20 feet down.

                    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                      Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                      Actually, since the Anaheim dirt is the top soil layers and only down a maximum of 10 feet or so, then i doubt it is older than the petrified forest whose trees range from 200 to 250 million years old. The dirt while it may have older components is most likely fairly recent (only several tens of millions of years old). The deeper layers are most likely significantly older, but the top layers, probably not so much. Especially given the proximity to the ocean and run off from the mountains. By comparison, La Brea tar pits are only about 1.8 million years old, dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. Fossils from 30,000 years ago dug up in the are of the tar pits are buried nearly 20 feet down.
                      Good answer indeed, hooray for science knowledge! Of which I have approximately none. If the dinosaur skeleton at BTMR or the sabretooth cat skeleton over at the entrance to Condor Flats were real, they'd be competition....but the tree stump stands as oldest most likely.
                      when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                        dfc, there's a wonderful pic of the stump with our beloved Manse in the background over at Stuff from the Park.

                        http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2...f-america.html

                        A great atmospheric shot from the mid-sixties, it looks like. Add the Mark Twain whistle and a cool breeze off the water, and you're in DL heaven.
                        "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

                        The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.



                        ......... .....May April March!.....................

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                          Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                          dfc, there's a wonderful pic of the stump with our beloved Manse in the background over at Stuff from the Park.

                          http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2...f-america.html

                          A great atmospheric shot from the mid-sixties, it looks like. Add the Mark Twain whistle and a cool breeze off the water, and you're in DL heaven.
                          Now that is awesome. Pure Disneyland magic, as you said....brilliant find, HBG, and a million thanks for pointing it out. Glad to see other stump fans are out there!
                          when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                            Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                            "That is not dead which can eternally lie,
                            And with strange eons even death may die."
                            Is that about the tree stump?
                            Originally posted by Aristocat
                            I miss David.
                            Originally posted by Ginarella
                            All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Oldest Element of Disneyland

                              Originally posted by larasound View Post
                              Is that about the tree stump?
                              Walt's head.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X