Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

    Today, more often then not. Nightime lighting is turned on way too early or is left on all day long. For a company trying to be environmentally minded, this is one great waste of electricity.

    How come Disney doesn't have a timer that puts lights on a time that can be adjusted according to what season it is??

    It should be taken into the consideration of Disneyland to make sure its lighting is off during the day! Your thoughts??
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  • #2
    Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

    It's on ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL night!! How will the night custodial, night crew, third shift, and others that work at night when the park is closed and empty.

    Think of the electricity being wasted......... think of the electricity bill that Disney has to pay, yikes!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

      I'm not sure a timer like that exists. But if it does, it's probably pretty pricey.

      I work for a property management company and we have 27 buildings we have to adjust the timers for when the time changes, and the preceeding month or so before and after the time change. The only thing that's economical is to put sensors on them that detect when daylight occurs (turning the lights off) and when the sun goes down (turning the lights on). Those types of sensors, we have found, tend to break and malfunction quite often, which is why we switched back to timers.

      What lights are you speaking of anyway? I mean the park should be well lit as long as there are guests there correct? And after they are all gone, the night crew comes in to work. I mean I guess some of the lights could be switched off for that but probably not many, as then OSHA would come in and say not enough sufficient light is there for these workers to do their jobs safely.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

        Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
        I'm not sure a timer like that exists. But if it does, it's probably pretty pricey.

        I work for a property management company and we have 27 buildings we have to adjust the timers for when the time changes, and the preceeding month or so before and after the time change. The only thing that's economical is to put sensors on them that detect when daylight occurs (turning the lights off) and when the sun goes down (turning the lights on). Those types of sensors, we have found, tend to break and malfunction quite often, which is why we switched back to timers.

        What lights are you speaking of anyway? I mean the park should be well lit as long as there are guests there correct? And after they are all gone, the night crew comes in to work. I mean I guess some of the lights could be switched off for that but probably not many, as then OSHA would come in and say not enough sufficient light is there for these workers to do their jobs safely.
        Main street seems to light up very early, like 5PM when that is a waste of 3 hours worth of electricity. Sometimes they are left on all day wasting over 12 hours.

        Adventureland's is also notorious for being left on all day wasting 12 hours worth of energy. When someone forgets to turn off those lights, it wastes a lot of money.
        Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
        "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
        -August 1st 2010

        And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
        -August 2nd 2010

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

          You have to be kind of paranoid to notice the lights on during the day O_o...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

            Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post
            Main street seems to light up very early, like 5PM when that is a waste of 3 hours worth of electricity. Sometimes they are left on all day wasting over 12 hours.

            Adventureland's is also notorious for being left on all day wasting 12 hours worth of energy. When someone forgets to turn off those lights, it wastes a lot of money.
            It's not like Disney doesn't have the money. They can make up for it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

              Are you talking about the gas flames that are left on? If so, DL would have to go around and relight each one at night. Other than that, I don't see any lights that are on excessively early. There may be some signage or lighting that that is left on that help establish mood, and light dark areas, like in the Indy queue.
              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                I love the lights at DL. I don't care how long they leave them on.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                  Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                  It's on ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL night!! How will the night custodial, night crew, third shift, and others that work at night when the park is closed and empty.

                  Think of the electricity being wasted......... think of the electricity bill that Disney has to pay, yikes!
                  I always thought they generate their own power. Am I wrong?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                    Originally posted by Alex E View Post
                    I always thought they generate their own power. Am I wrong?
                    I don't think they do. They've had black outs before and when SoCal was going through the Rolling scheduled blackouts to conserve energy..
                    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
                    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                      Originally posted by Alex E View Post
                      I always thought they generate their own power. Am I wrong?
                      WDW generates a good portion of its power... from municipal waste I might add.
                      sigpic


                      Originally posted by Phonedave
                      Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                        All area lighting is already on a Series of dimmers and timers. Many areas have work lights which are more power friendly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                          A) Lighting does not have to be on timers. Street lights in cities have little photovoltaic cells. When light levels drop below a predetermined level, the street lights start coming on. A photovoltaic cell costs a buck at most. Incredibly cheap to implement. Works great because you can forget about it as it is self adjusting.

                          B) Main St. turns on the lights once shadows start to fill the street even if sunset isn't for a while yet to begin to set the mood for the night time. It's a crossfade (film terms). It has nothing to do with the lights being on a timer that someone forgot to adjust, it is a conscious decision. Those lights is part of what makes Main Street so charming at night and so they put them on early when it isn't going to be so noticeable so that they seem to just be on magically. It is all about keeping the operation of it as hidden as possible. They don't want you to notice "oh hey, they just turned the lights on." It's the same thing when they raise the light masts on all the Main St. roofs for the parade lighting. They raise them well before the parade and kind of discreetly so that they don't call attention to themselves. This sort of thing happens all over the resort, but most people never notice it, which is exactly why they do it the way they do.

                          Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                            Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                            A) Lighting does not have to be on timers. Street lights in cities have little photovoltaic cells. When light levels drop below a predetermined level, the street lights start coming on. A photovoltaic cell costs a buck at most. Incredibly cheap to implement. Works great because you can forget about it as it is self adjusting.

                            B) Main St. turns on the lights once shadows start to fill the street even if sunset isn't for a while yet to begin to set the mood for the night time. It's a crossfade (film terms). It has nothing to do with the lights being on a timer that someone forgot to adjust, it is a conscious decision. Those lights is part of what makes Main Street so charming at night and so they put them on early when it isn't going to be so noticeable so that they seem to just be on magically. It is all about keeping the operation of it as hidden as possible. They don't want you to notice "oh hey, they just turned the lights on." It's the same thing when they raise the light masts on all the Main St. roofs for the parade lighting. They raise them well before the parade and kind of discreetly so that they don't call attention to themselves. This sort of thing happens all over the resort, but most people never notice it, which is exactly why they do it the way they do.
                            Ah ha! Ding Ding Ding! Being a lighting designer (and yes I'm only 14, its more for school) that is exactly Disney notionings (I think ). Another fine piece of work (mostly knowledge) by Mycroft!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Hey Disney! Turn those lights off!

                              The lights at Disneyland look better when they are on anyways.
                              "You are watching FOX"

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X