• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghostbuster626
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

[Question] Nothing new for the 55th.?

Im wondering why we haven't heard any news about new attractions for Disneyland especially with the 55th. Anniversary of the park coming up in 2010. Wouldn't they need to start construction this year in order to have something open in time for July 2010? I know everybody wants a new star tours and a new attraction on the peoplemover tracks but from what I understand a new star tours would take a full year to retool and peoplemover would require the demolishen of the station and a complete rebuild. Al Lutz hasnt said anything concerning Disneyland either. So what gives?
  • Luke Manning
    Banned User
    • Jul 2007

Re: Nothing new for the 55th.?

New Entertainment...

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Luke Manning View Post
      New Entertainment...
      That might excite APers and locals but it ain't gonna draw the crowds. If the company wants the level of attendance that was showing up in the summer of 2005 they need to have real major attractions that people will do anything to get down to Disneyland to experince (Like when Indiana Jones opened and to a lesser extent the reopening of the submarine voyage).

Comment

• Luke Manning
        Banned User
        • Jul 2007

Well... New World of Wonder, new fireworks, possible return of the Electrical Parade to Disneyland. And World of Color for DCA.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Luke Manning View Post
          Well... New World of Wonder, new fireworks, possible return of the Electrical Parade to Disneyland. And World of Color for DCA.
          New E-ticket or bust

Comment

• tasman
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2006

Most minds and resources are being focused on DCA right now...I don't expect anything big for the 55th.

For the 60th, that's another story...Al Lutz and others have hinted at major changes for Tomorrowland once the first phase of DCA's makeover is complete.
            Down with the Hat

Comment

• Flickering Bulb
              keh!
              • Jul 2005

i doubt a new e-ticket will happen w/ 2 years until the 55th. let's face it, just b/c it's the 55th doesn't mean we're gonna get a new mountain. i don't think DL needs a brand new attraction for the 55th, well, star tours would be sufficient. i would expect something huge for the 75th, and the 100th. entertainment would be fine w/ me : ) let's not be greedy.

Comment

• Datameister
                =)
                • Aug 2005

World of Wonder is going to be awesome. The technology going into it will be like anything we've seen in the park before. And Star Tours II could be amazing or it could be not...we'll see.

But most of the focus is on DCA. A billion dollars of focus. That kind of money isn't a trifle, even for Disney, and they can only afford to do so many other things at the same time. Disneyland itself isn't in the spotlight right now as far as improvements go, and that's okay. Disneyland, for all its faults, is still a nearly perfect theme park overall. DCA can make no such claims.

Comment

• imagineerthat
                  A World of Laughter
                  • Aug 2006

In Disney's eyes there is no need to do anything to Disneyland, It has been pulling in big numbers since the 50th Anniversary and even with the drop in attendance this summer spending at the park has remained high so there is still no incentive to add anything major to the park.

Comment

• lou_mom
                    Disneymom
                    • Mar 2006

I think it would be unrealistic to expect Disneyland to come up with a new ride every five anniversaries. I expect there will be sometging for the 60th.

Comment

• Datameister
                      =)
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by lou_mom View Post
                      I think it would be unrealistic to expect Disneyland to come up with a new ride every five anniversaries. I expect there will be sometging for the 60th.
                      I agree, but I think Star Tours II may arrive in time for the 55th. Either that or the year after, most likely.

Comment

• Aladdin
                        Prince Ali
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                        I agree, but I think Star Tours II may arrive in time for the 55th. Either that or the year after, most likely.
                        I'm hoping for that too. The rumor has been around for several years, but each time it pops up, it seems as though the update is further along. This is real spotty, so if someone can pull in more info, lets try to get the latest rundown on ST2.

Imagineering has had models of the update for ST2

Some voice sound recording has been done, leaked out
                        by someone who was recorded for the attraction

News has been leaked from Lucas people that ST2
                        is being worked on

The update would include 3D glasses, a more open viewing range
                        in front, above and on both sides.

Rumored testing in one unit at DL in Anaheim, Body Wars in Epcot.

Ok, hack away with that, with more info, more solid info, names
                        and such.
                        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Datameister
                          =)
                          • Aug 2005

I know that it's hard to take a statement like this too seriously when I don't have any evidence to present, but...I'm not just basing my confidence in Star Tours II on a hunch. I know the rumor's been around for a long time, and it's understandable that there are doubters out there as a result...but I'm pretty sure that most of them have a pleasant surprise in store for them. (At least, I hope it's gonna be a pleasant one...)

Comment

• Aladdin
                            Prince Ali
                            • Jan 2005

Hey, I wouldn't mind if the entrance of Tomorrowland was torn apart during DL's 55th ~ If that would mean getting rid of the rocks and the Astro Orbitor from the area!
                            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                              Banned User
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by lou_mom View Post
                              you do realize up untill 1998 Disneyland DID recieve something MAJOR every 5 years. Often tims even sooner as I recall Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain opened in close proximity to each other, Star Tours/Splash/Roger Rabbit/Indy opened two years after another, and of course the monorail/subs/matterhorn all opened on the same day. It was only after New tomorrowland that management changed and stoped building new attractions.

Disney and Lucasfilm have been hinting at Star Tours II since 1998 (there are plenty of quotes and comments from people such as Tony Baxter, Jake Lloyd, and various others) and unfortuantly I doubt it will ever happen at this point. Although the opening of Harry Potter world at Universal Studios in Orlando may finally make it happen.

Comment

• Luke Manning
                                Banned User
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                                It was only after New tomorrowland that management changed and stoped building new attractions.
                                Not really. 2001 they opened DCA, while it has lackluster attractions, they're still new attractions. 2003 had Pooh, 2004 had Tower of Terror, 2005 had Buzz, 2006 had Monsters Inc, 2007 had Nemo Subs, & 2008 had Midway Mania.

And lets not forget all the new entertainment!

Comment

• Datameister
                                  =)
                                  • Aug 2005

Disney and Lucasfilm have been hinting at Star Tours II since 1998 (there are plenty of quotes and comments from people such as Tony Baxter, Jake Lloyd, and various others) and unfortuantly I doubt it will ever happen at this point.
                                  Well, that's an understandable sentiment, but... <Joker voice>You'll see. I'll show ya.</Joker voice> :evil:

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                    Well, that's an understandable sentiment, but... <Joker voice>You'll see. I'll show ya.</Joker voice> :evil:
                                    The real irony is that Dark Knight is less than a week away from destroying Star Wars as the second highest grossing film even with the new cartoon coming from lucasfilm which may not even be able to knock Dark Knight off the #1 chart.

And here...we...go!

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jan 2005

Double post....or should I say Two-Face post?

Comment

• Luke Manning
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                                        The real irony is that Dark Knight is less than a week away from destroying Star Wars as the second highest grossing film even with the new cartoon coming from lucasfilm which may not even be able to knock Dark Knight off the #1 chart.
                                        Oh of course the Clone Wars wont!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X