X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Photos, Video & Information on Ride Building/Behind The Scenes

Howdy,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm what you might call a Disney techie. I like information on the rides, behind the scenes photos, etc. I found someone's site here with the photos of splash mountain being built, that was awesome. I have searched but haven't uncovered much here or in google. I'm hoping we might get a thread started with links to articles, photos, videos, etc with details on rides being built, behind the scenes photos, technical data, etc. I'd love to see more of the above.

Thanks!

Re: Photos, Video & Information on Ride Building/Behind The Scenes

[>>>Insert Datameiser here <<<]

/\What he said /\

Comment

Re: Photos, Video &amp; Information on Ride Building/Behind The Scenes

Hello, Mr. Houdini. :evil: Welcome to Micechat. My name is Datameister, or Joe, if you like. You've just found yourself a new best friend, backstage enthusiast, and encyclopedia of show building related knowledge that no one cares about. :yea:

I will first direct you to my very short Wikipedia article on show buildings. It's a good place to start, though most people here will probably already know most or all of what's there.

I will then direct you to all of the links in my sig, with www.disneyland3d.blogspot.com being the most important one because it also includes links to the other locations. The long and short of it is, I'm building a 3D model of Disneyland, and because I care about backstage almost as much as I care about onstage, I'm spending plenty of time on the areas we can't explore as guests. Here are some examples of backstagery I've replicated so far:

These are all links to full-res versions, by the way. And if you take the Back to the Flickr photo page links, you'll find more information. I'm also unbelievably happy to answer specific questions. You can also find lots of backstage photos I've (legally) taken in this collection.

I'm guessing the Splash Mountain construction photos you saw were the ones Mojave took, but if not, be sure to check those out and post a link to the ones you saw.

Here are some Indy construction shots...

Hmmm...what else? Well, I mean, I know a lot more than I've said here...and I like blabbering on and on about it...so yeah, ask me a question, and hopefully I'll know the answer, and if not, it'll give me something new to research.

You can also sometimes get first-hand information in MiceChat's "Break Room" forum, where the CMs hang out. And if you want really in-depth technical expertise about things in the world in general--not so much Disneyland specifically--MCer Bruce Bergman can answer a lot of your questions, I'm sure.

Comment

Hi Joe. Yup, I did already watch your latest video, really really interesting. Awesome work you're doing there!

Comment

Thank you very much! Again, I really, really like talking about this kind of stuff...so if there's anything in particular you want to know, I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

EDIT: And make sure you watch all the videos--I make a point of not putting any "fluff" in 'em, so it's pretty much all stuff I think is worth posting. (Or stuff I was asked to post.) And the renders on Flickr present a whole 'nother side to it all--a much better-looking side--so I definitely recommend those, too.

Comment

Thanks... I think my biggest interest is in ride building. I'd love to see more shots, videos, hands on stories of building rides, etc. I think the building process of one off rides that incorporate themes and show buildings is a really cool process. I'm in to cars as well and it's a bit like building a race car. It's a one off process while you can buy pieces and parts off the shelves it's how you bring them together and your intended purpose while getting the best results.

I did a little homage to the HM last Halloween (who hasn't) and it was great to find out fog machines, low lying fog, expansion chambers that cool the fog, etc. Lighting, cargo nets, lighting/thunder sounds and integrated controllers for the lights. Such a great joy building that kind of stuff. Using the glue gun/air compressor spider webs... good stuff.

Two bad photos:

Comment

Very cool! I'd love to see more of your creations.

As far as construction pics go...Nautilus posted some really fascinating POTC pics here. I'm trying to think of others I've seen. Mmm, you can find some of the Haunted Mansion scattered in the "Revenge of Long-Forgotten" blah blah blah thread and its two predecessors...that'll take some searching, though.

Comment

Sadly, not many other creations to show. G/f and I are both Disney fans, but not too fanatical. Just not enough time

Those photos of POTC are awesome... I love that kind of stuff. It's tough to get the bearings of where the tunnel is and such since I really don't know the park layout THAT well. When folks talk on here about how rides are under specific sections of the park, I'm dumbfounded. I just don't have those spatial skills.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                  I'm guessing the Splash Mountain construction photos you saw were the ones Mojave took, but if not, be sure to check those out and post a link to the ones you saw.
                  If the Splash Mountain construction photos weren't the ones I put up, I REALLY want to see the ones you saw.

Comment

Those Indy Construction photos are awesome, I'd love to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by bbks18 View Post
                      Those Indy Construction photos are awesome, I'd love to see more.
                      Me too...unfortunately, they're the only ones I've ever seen on the net. Queue construction photos would be particularly interesting...especially if I were seeing them a few years, before I knew so much about the layout and setup of the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                        Me too...unfortunately, they're the only ones I've ever seen on the net. Queue construction photos would be particularly interesting...especially if I were seeing them a few years, before I knew so much about the layout and setup of the queue.
                        Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by harryhoudini View Post
                          Using the glue gun/air compressor spider webs... good stuff.

Wait a sec. What is this gule gun/air compressor thing? I've wanted to know for a long time how they make the spider webs for HM and in movies. I hate, I HATE, the fluff crap you buy at the store and stretch out. It SUCKS ROYAL! Not realistic enough, and gets everywhere. Fill me in on this technique!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                            Ignorance is bliss.
                            No...it wasn't. I hunted long and hard for the information, and I'm much happier now that I have it.

Comment

Originally posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
                              Wait a sec. What is this gule gun/air compressor thing? I've wanted to know for a long time how they make the spider webs for HM and in movies. I hate, I HATE, the fluff crap you buy at the store and stretch out. It SUCKS ROYAL! Not realistic enough, and gets everywhere. Fill me in on this technique!!
                              There are two techniques.

The older version is a web spinner using a fan blade, power drill, and rubber cement. Unfortunately, rubber cement is also very flammable so this isn't recommended around candles or open flames. May cause some damage to props where the glue has come into contact.
                              http://thehorrordome.com/HDPROPS/SpiderWebSpinner.htm

The other uses a hot glue gun and compressed air to fling strands of hot glue over your set. Not flammable, but may cause some damage to props where the glue has come into contact.
                              http://www.hauntproject.com/projdeta...arch&s=web+gun
                              Also available on Ebay fully assembled:
                              http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_fro...sid=m270.l1313

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X