• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HugsForDCA
    Banned User
    • Aug 2005

LuminAria! Please Come Back!

I just watched some video clips from LuminAria and It looks so beautiful!!
    Why didn't it ever come back to DCA? The music is so pretty and the christmas tree and the shiny lights on the sun wheel all look so freaking beautiful! :crybye: :crybye:
    Will it ever come back? :beg: :beg: The link to the video clips : LuminAria
  • Athlonacon
    FastPass n00b
    • Feb 2005

Re: LuminAria! Please Come Back!

It got canned because of the pyrotechnic smoke. Since it was basically a fireworks show on the ground it generated so much smoke on the bay that people were getting completely smoked out.

I am actually glad I never saw this show, not because I wouldn't like it, quite the opposite, it looks stunningly beautiful and seems like it would've been a very dramatic show to behold. I'm so sick and tired of Disney getting rid of excellent entertainment that I'm glad that I finally didn't have to endure them getting rid of this one. Instead, I have no memory of it so I have no sense of loss which I know all too well in the past 15 years.

I definitely don't think this show's coming back though. It took them a while to finally remove the (bird-poop covered) islands for this show and even assuming they got the smoke problems under control, it'd take some more work to get it back up and running.

It looks like they were trying to mimic Epcot, but Epcot's lake is a LOT bigger than DCA's and they ultimately paid for it with the smoke issues. Anyway, I'm sorry it's gone now, it looks like quite a show.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-29-2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• AP2CM
      "Retired" DL Tour Guide
      • Jan 2005

thanks for posting this Hugs. I really enjoyed Luminaria as well...I just think too many people found it either underwhelming or overly smokey. The fact that it never returned is a tragedy indeed.
      -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
      -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
      --DCA: World Of Color

Comment

• MiceMan
        That's Hawt
        • Jan 2005

It looked pretty cool ... the video was kind of disjointed but it still looked cool ... smoky though ... I wonder if that could be fixed??
        Originally posted by drunkmom
        this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

• HugsForDCA
          Banned User
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Athlonacon

I definitely don't think this show's coming back though.
          :crybye: :crybye:

Comment

• EagleWings
            Banned User
            • May 2005

Can anyone explain it better to me? I never knew it existed or what it was. Were there characters involved in it?

Comment

• FI183
              Banned User
              • Jul 2005

I was wondering the same thing was it a christmas show? where did they do the cards? when was it on(last year?)? im kind of confused, im downloading the video right now so plz explain more!

Comment

• Aladdin
                Prince Ali
                • Jan 2005

Another blunder on the building of DCA was one of the major problems with this show. As big as Paradise Puddle is, it was not designed to have a show, or viewing areas for the show, no attractions were deisgned for this body of water, so nothing could be utilized for the show. Not planning to have a show or attraction to this water area and not planning to have the infastructure or to even add attractions or shows at a future date proved how useless Paradise Puddle is.

The viewing screens were minimal for Luminaria. As mentioned before, smoke was a consistant problem. It would have been ok to have a huge Christmas tree permanently out in the middle of the puddle, and at night, they could add the special candles on the water. That would have been ok. But, a budget show like this just cant compete with F!, MSEP, Christmas Parade, Fireworks over the Castle.

Again, IF they would have PLANNED when they were building dca, some sort of Night show on a lagoon, with good viewing, combining it with other attractions that could be used during the day, They really could have devised a staging area similar to F! they would disappear just as quickly as the infastructure in F!
                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Escapé
                  MiceChatter
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by HugsForDCA
                  I just watched some video clips from LuminAria and It looks so beautiful!!
                  Why didn't it ever come back to DCA? The music is so pretty and the christmas tree and the shiny lights on the sun wheel all look so freaking beautiful! :crybye: :crybye:
                  Will it ever come back? :beg: :beg: The link to the video clips : LuminAria
                  In a small video presentation I guess it looks enticing .. but in person ....... no.
                  LOL

Standing there live you need to have elements that are "larger than life". The graphics presentated were too small to be anything of an "enveloping" experience. I believe what they should have done was a giant water show very much the same way the Ballegio Hotel in Vegas does theirs. But in grand "Disney" style ..... with some added other media/special effects. Just not pyro. Leave it out.

Look at Fantasmic with the usage of mist screens ... lights ... strobe effects .. there's a number of things that can be done to create a "Luminaria 2.0" without the usage of fireworks.

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                    Behind the refurb walls..
                    • Apr 2005

I think they should develop a water show, but use some pyro, but very little, like the spark spinners in fantasmic and remember, Also have characters! Make a story line!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                    ~

Comment

• Mousey Girl
                      Just Me
                      • Jan 2005

Luminaria was a very nice show, but only if you were not sitting in the path of the smoke.

Comment

• figment1986
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

LuminAria could work.. Just remove half the fireworks and add more water features like what Sea world does in FLA.... just don't base it off of a movie on water screens.. thought those woul dbe cool for the cards...

Comment

• Athlonacon
                          FastPass n00b
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FutureImagineer183
                          I was wondering the same thing was it a christmas show? where did they do the cards? when was it on(last year?)? im kind of confused, im downloading the video right now so plz explain more!
                          I wanna say this show came out in late 2001, but I can't remember for sure. I know it's been a long time, at least a couple years. There also wasn't a big deal about this show made when it came out, I didn't even know what it looked like until I saw the video and I remember Al talking about it, but not much more.

It lasted only one year, maybe two. I think it says something about the underwhelming nature of the word of mouth for this show that I can't remember many specific details about it.

Comment

• Disney50
                            Banned User
                            • Jun 2005

It looks like it would have been cool. But I think I would rather ride California Screamin' then watch some show. (According to that sign it said "Some Paradise Pier Attractions may close early this evening.)

Comment

• Kevie
                              Banned User
                              • Apr 2005

Luminaria won't come back. The island used for it was removed earlier this year.

Comment

• HugsForDCA
                                Banned User
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
                                Luminaria won't come back. The island used for it was removed earlier this year.
                                They can always build a new island :beg:

Comment

• Escapé
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Apr 2005

If anyone has been to the mini dancing waters show at The Grove in LA ... not to mention the gigantic dancing waters show at the Ballegio Hotel .......... you'll see the latest fountain technology can do some WONDEROUS moves. If Disney were to follow-up on some of these latest technologies ... it would be so wonderful to see something on a massive scale - AND HAVE NO NEED FOR PYRO!

But my prediction is we'll see nothing .. since major changes on the way for DCA (apparantly ) ..... a show in the middle of a lagoon will only slow down any major new changes for a park in dire need of some radical overhauling.

Comment

• shortiemetoo
                                    Minion
                                    • Jan 2005

Looks like it could have really been enjoyable! I don't think many would want to tolerate that much smoke though!!! I wish they would do something... anything to that area of the park though...what a waste of space!!!
                                    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!! :ap:

Comment

• Treat
                                      • Apr 2005

I agree that there should be a water show. I currently live in Las Vegas and everytime i see the water show at Bellagio it impresses me. But to think of the possiblities if disney produced one in the PP bay. Beautiful lush score, special effects, mist, and scenes. this show would be a one of a kind.
                                      pshhh i guess

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X