Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

    I have another question for the experts at Micechat.

    Monday there was a railroad CM talking to some guests about the changes in Disneyland over the years, and said some things I was curious about. If anyone knows the answer, please advise. She said the following:

    1) The New Orleans Square/Frontierland station building never moved, and there was a second track on the other side of the station.

    2) On the second track there was an express train that went counter-clockwise directly to Main Street. It traveled back and forth between Main Street and Frontierland station only.

  • #2
    Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

    Steve DeGaetano can help you with this one, I'm sure. He's the resident DLRR expert. I, myself, have never heard of this before now... only that the original Frontierland train station building was moved across the tracks.






    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

      Originally posted by shagadelic View Post
      I have another question for the experts at Micechat.

      Monday there was a railroad CM talking to some guests about the changes in Disneyland over the years, and said some things I was curious about. If anyone knows the answer, please advise. She said the following:

      1) The New Orleans Square/Frontierland station building never moved, and there was a second track on the other side of the station.

      2) On the second track there was an express train that went counter-clockwise directly to Main Street. It traveled back and forth between Main Street and Frontierland station only.
      Hooh boy...Someone needs to brush up on their DRR history--especially if they work the system.

      Either that, or they were yanking your chain. Not an uncommon trait among the more seasoned railroaders.

      1. As you can read on MiceAge, the station across the tracks has moved significantly. Feel free to print out and pass along these articles the next time you see the CM:

      MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

      MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

      2. No train EVER went counter-clockwise at DL. Period. No if's and's or but's. She's clearly confused about the early system, which had one train making a non-stop run around the track, beginning at Main Street and ending and Main Street, and another train making a non-stop run, from Frontierland Station to Frontierland Station. they would pass each other at various sidings, "leapfrogging" along, both in the SAME direction.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

        yayyy...Steve to the historical rescue.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

          Where does this counter-clockwise "fact" keep coming from? I keep hearing it all the time!

          It makes me mad when CM's can't even give a proper and accurate history of the ride they work on...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

            Thanks for the info. I thought (from what I'd read on Miceage and elsewhere) that she was wrong, but wanted to be sure. She claimed she'd actually been on the express train . . . and said if you look at the miniature Disneyland layout at the Opera House you'll see the "express train track" between Main Street and Frontierland.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

              it doesn't help some people, when the original disneyland map (the one that was presented to the bankers/lenders) seemed the train was going counter clockwise and the jungle cruise where space mountain would be today.... so its almost mirrored or opposite of what exists today.

              *sigh* some people who think they know it all...

              Thanks Steve for the right info
              -Ricky
              DLand Connoisseur
              http://www.djrickyjay.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                I am by mo means a steam train expert but wasn't there a Disney DVD that said the steam trains once ran counterclockwise?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                  There may have been; if so I'm unaware of it.

                  Even if produced by Disney, however, it would be wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                    In the Imagineering Disneyland DVD that is now being sold in the parks, I saw one shot with 2 curved sections of track with two engines steaming on each going the same direction, and on the inside of that curve were two other curved track pieces w/ a Viewliner train going by on each, but opposite directions... I thought it might be Disneyland, but I'm not really sure... maybe it was testing multiple engines at once at the studios, or something like that. Maybe that shot didn't even come from Disneyland... any thoughts, Steve?






                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                      Steve, while you're at it, can you explain where there were passing tracks and when they were used and removed? For instance, Main Street station has a second set of tracks, but I believe they are physically cut from the main line now. Also, I believe there was a second track over at Frontierland Station.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                        Originally posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
                        In the Imagineering Disneyland DVD that is now being sold in the parks, I saw one shot with 2 curved sections of track with two engines steaming on each going the same direction, and on the inside of that curve were two other curved track pieces w/ a Viewliner train going by on each, but opposite directions... I thought it might be Disneyland, but I'm not really sure... maybe it was testing multiple engines at once at the studios, or something like that. Maybe that shot didn't even come from Disneyland... any thoughts, Steve?
                        Interesting. It sounds like DL (with steam trains AND viewliner) but the DRR track was double-tracked in Tomorrowland. I'd have to see the footage to figure out the location.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                          Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                          Steve, while you're at it, can you explain where there were passing tracks and when they were used and removed? For instance, Main Street station has a second set of tracks, but I believe they are physically cut from the main line now. Also, I believe there was a second track over at Frontierland Station.
                          The only two sets of passing sidings were at Main Street and at Frontierland. The Frontierland tracks still existed after the 1962 move of the depot across the tracks. I'll have to do some digging to narrow down when they were removed.

                          The Main Street siding existed as a siding into the 1980s, at least. Agan, no firm date. The switch tracks were eventually removed for safety reasons, leaving a section of track on which to display the handcar.

                          I'll look into this and see if I can come up with something more concrete.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                            Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                            Interesting. It sounds like DL (with steam trains AND viewliner) but the DRR track was double-tracked in Tomorrowland. I'd have to see the footage to figure out the location.
                            It looked like it was dirt that the rails were laid upon. I'll check the footage again.






                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

                              This thread is fascinating!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X