This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland.. maybe too much $?

For the first time in my life, I financed my own vacation to Disneyland. My credit card took the biggest hit of all time after this little trip. I was just wondering if I was the only one who feels that Disney may be a little TOO expensive. I mean, 2.50 for a bottle of water. 1.75 for an apple. I love how Disney stays clean and well maintained, but are these prices (for food especially) fair? Or is Disney just plain greedy?

PS - my trip was magical as usual, but the crowds were a little much...

Re: Disneyland.. maybe too much $?

It's ALL so insane. In the same note, How do Bands like the Rolling Stones get away with Charging $350 for a ticket, $40 for a SHIRT! and $25 for a Program! (Not including $20 for parking, and another $60-$80 for dinner) And the concerts? SOLD OUT.

IF people WILL pay it, they will CHARGE it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

The prices for water, ice cream, etc., will stay up until the end of the hot weather, because they know that people in the heat will buy stuff like that regardless of the price.
      Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Comment

Disneyland is expensive, but there are options to avoid the food/water costs. I have always worn a backpack and brought in some snacks and a bottle of water (unopened so they didn't question what was in the bottle). I also used to have my kids wear belly bags and bring in snacks. This cut down on the cost of the day immensely...We would have a snack or two bought in the park, but apples, fruit snacks, granola bars etc..would usually keep us happy between meals!!

Bye the way, I hope your trip was magical and full of wonderful memories!!
        Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!! :ap:

Comment

I think the worst part is the stickershock of admission. At $139.00 for a three or four day pass ( on sale no less) no longer could I make a short trip for 3OO.oo.
          it costs as much for the passes as for the motel room! The food I have figured out how to do on 30 dollars a day. the days of a relatively inexpensive trip to disney does not exist any more.
          Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

It does get expensive. To save, bring in your own bottle of water. Eat across the street at Denny's or another family style restaurant outside. Eat your 'big' meals at lunch (cheaper) and lighter meals at dinner. Carry snacks with you too. Order the kids meals, too, they're cheaper.

Fruit should never cost that much. It discourages people to eat healthy! And if that apple is mealy, you're out $1.75!! Boo!

$2.50 for water is crazy - but movie theaters charge $5- for a small popcorn and $3.75 for a small water or soda. You can always refill water bottles from the drinking fountain.

I heard some of the mdse for the 50th is really outrageous. I collect antenna ball heads and it's $5- for the gold one? Please! And $10 for the Mickey Mouse Golden Ears? boo!

Comment

It seems even the restaurants around Disneyland are expensive. I went to go eat at IHOP and the prices are outrageous. The way I look at it, if you truly enjoy what you buy with your money, then there is no problem. You can't put a pricetag on joy and if it costs a lot of money, that's okay. It's better to spend lots of money for one day out of the month and thoroughly enjoy it, rather than spend lots of money and fretting over how much you spent.

Having said that, I do believe Disneyland is too expensive for what it should be. It has far outstripped inflation since 1983 and considering that most people go as a family, Disneyland is now prohibitively expensive for some people. But, if people are willing to pack the park at $56 for admission and pay $2.50 for a bottle of water, Disney will continue to charge outrageous prices.

Now, when I was at Universal Studios last time it was around 85 degrees and I decided to walk the 4 flights of stairs from the lower lot up to the upper lot. It seems like a good idea after the first flight, but by the final flight of stairs you're compeletely exhausted. So what do they have sitting at the very top of these stairs...an ODV selling ice cold bottles of water for $4! I walked up 4 flights of stairs only to be teased by ice-cold bottles of water for four freakin' dollars at the very end of the trip. It was 85 degrees, I was about to collapse and there was icy cold water right in front of me so I caved in and bought the water. Disney's $2.50 for bottled water just doesn't seem too crooked after that. And although there are escalaters on all 4 sets of stairs at Universal, I love a challenge so that's why I walked. It doesn't excuse Disney's price gouging, but Universal is much more unscrupulous in their tactics.

Comment

It it expensive, but then if you think about it, Disneyland does cost a lot of money to maintain. They've got all sorts of bills to pay, and the nightly Fireworks and 2 showings of Fantasmic (nightly, for now anyway) are pretty expensive. That is no excuse for raising prices so high, just something to consider.

Heck, I work there, and yet it feels like 90% of my paycheck goes right back to Disney. I for one wouldn't mind if they lowered their prices just a bit.

Comment

I was thinking about how expensive the park is to run, but I realized they pay most of their workers jack! On top of that, there are thousands of people there. I am sure the park earns its cost to run just off of the general admission. I don't mind paying 56 dollars for disneyland (heck, i'd still pay to get in if it was 150!) Its just the food. I wish it was cheaper

Comment

Nothing about Disneyland is too expensive. Simple economics proves the point.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for it. If admission was too high, people won't come in. The park is always well packed, so Disney should get every cent it can! It is not as though Dsineyland is A) a monopoly, or B) a vital necessity in life (no matter how much anyone claims they couldn't live without it ). They are the best at the theme park business and deserve to get a premium for what they offer. You don't pay the same price for a Mercedes as a Kia?

If you don't want to pay their prices for food and drink - bring your own. Don't like the prices of souvenirs? Don't buy them! Think admission is too high? Don't go. Its as simple as that.

There was a piece of artwork in Disneyana that I really wanted to buy for my wife. It cost $1,700. We looked at it every single time we went to the park. Kept track of what number of the series they were currently selling. Knew the end was near, but still couldn't afford it. They are now sold out. Is it Disney's fault that we couldn't afford it? Nope. It's mine. I take responsibility for myself and my actions. I lament the loss and move on.

And to further prove the point, look at DCA. The fact that people are staying away in droves indicates that the perceived value is not worth what it costs to get in. Heck, if you think about it, it is free to a majority of people visiting Disneyland! Based upon the level of expectation the Disney company has set with Disneyland, DCA is going to need some serious work to boost attendence.

Simple, basic economics. This country is based heavily on free market enterprise. I like it that way.

And now... let the flaming begin!
                    I need to get a life...

Comment

Originally posted by Spalding
                      Or is Disney just plain greedy?
                      Company is in business to make money.
                      It has a product people are willing to buy.

You, the consumer, have a choice. Yes, you do.

My choice: we spend a week at WDW every four or five years. Not every year. Not four times a year.
                      My choice: we go to DL about three days a year. I am privileged to be related to a cast member, but we live about 75 miles away on the far side of L.A. I also have to make arrangements with said cast member, who often insists that we go to DCA first -- probably some internal request.

Comment

The Pacific Ocean, does it have too much water?

Comment

answer- yes to the snack items and drinks. That's why my husband wears a camelback when we go!
                          but meal-wise, its really not that different than going out to a normal resturaunt. Take everyone's favorite, Blue Bayou. An adult meal will run in the $15-$20 range. That is just the same range as you pay at your local steakhouse or themed resturaunt. My Hsband and I can easily spend upwards of $60 when we go out to Red Lobster, the two of us. Compare that with $55 at Blue Bayou, with our meals, and two kids meals. And the ammount of food is WAY more at Blue Bayou! So I say my Disneyland food money is well worth what we get!
                          I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey
                            It does get expensive. To save, bring in your own bottle of water. Eat across the street at Denny's or another family style restaurant outside. Eat your 'big' meals at lunch (cheaper) and lighter meals at dinner. Carry snacks with you too. Order the kids meals, too, they're cheaper.
                            Avoid the IHOP across the street and the one up on Katella...they cost more than eating in the park (and the one on Katella and Harbor is S-L-O-W)
                            :ap: I'd rather be at Disneyland!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X