Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the GRR rafts tip over?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can the GRR rafts tip over?

    I was just wondering if the GRR raafts are capable of tiping over because I was reading about rides with a higher chance of accident and GRR wasnt on there and I just wondered if it was possible for these to tip over.

  • #2
    Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

    I really doubt it. The raft is so wide and the river is so shallow....


    I just did a check and couldn't find any counts of any raft-type ride tipping over anywere... I found one or two cases of people jumping out, but nothing tipping over. If you can stand to get soaked, I reckon you are safe.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

    "Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert




    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

      Originally posted by DCADude
      I was just wondering if the GRR raafts are capable of tiping over because I was reading about rides with a higher chance of accident and GRR wasnt on there and I just wondered if it was possible for these to tip over.
      I wouldn't think so, but if you tell some teens it won't they will be heck bent on trying to get it to. But, from looking at it, I wouldn't think so, plus, I dont think the track is deep enough to let it.
      If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

        Of course they could!

        But you'd need a lot more water than what is currently in GRR.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

          and alot more people on the one side of the raft then the other side!






          ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
          ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

            And I'm sure there's a pretty good weight center as it is and they've put some engineering thought into how to keep that from happening :P

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

              Actually there is an account of one of these raft rides tipping over. The rapids in this rides are often created be the shape of the bottom of the trough or by affixing things like pvc pipe to the bottom. In this particular incident either the water level was too low or the boat had too much weight and the front of the raft hit one of these pvc pipe obstructions on the bottom of the trough. the water pressure built up behind the raft and flipped it over. I believe this incident would have been in 2001. I worked at a Six Flags at the time and our raft ride was closed and inspected to ensure that we did not encounter then same problem.

              Cris

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                Actually it cannot tip over..None of you may know this but there are tracks throughout the whole ride hooked onto your raft the track holds it making it not tip over..
                She's cold and she's cruel
                But she knows what she's doin'
                She pushed me in the pool
                At our last school reunion
                She laughs at my dreams
                But I dream about her laughter
                Strange as it seems
                She's the one I'm after
                Cause she's bittersweet
                She knocks me off of my feet
                And I can't help myself
                I don't want anyone else
                She's a mystery
                She's too much for me
                But I keep comin' back for more
                She's just the girl I'm lookin' for

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                  Originally posted by Crispy
                  Actually there is an account of one of these raft rides tipping over. The rapids in this rides are often created be the shape of the bottom of the trough or by affixing things like pvc pipe to the bottom. In this particular incident either the water level was too low or the boat had too much weight and the front of the raft hit one of these pvc pipe obstructions on the bottom of the trough. the water pressure built up behind the raft and flipped it over. I believe this incident would have been in 2001. I worked at a Six Flags at the time and our raft ride was closed and inspected to ensure that we did not encounter then same problem.

                  Cris
                  I believe it was Busch Gardens Williamsburg where it happened. Luckily, no one died.
                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                    Originally posted by 3cheers4sweetrevng
                    Actually it cannot tip over..None of you may know this but there are tracks throughout the whole ride hooked onto your raft the track holds it making it not tip over..

                    I could have guessed. isnt there tracks for the canoes in DL too?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                      I don't think that GRR has a track, due to pure physics of the size of the raft, how it moves, weight, peaks of the waves, etc. won't allow for the raft to capsize. As for the canoes at DL, everything I have heard is they are not on tracks otherwise both CM would propel them instead of one steering (in the back) and the other rowing.

                      The beauty of Disney and the magic is that not everything is on a track and left up to machines. The Cast Members are left to be the judge of your experience. Ask a River Raft pilot about it sometime, that is a great skill in my opinion.

                      DLandFansAZ

                      Originally posted by DCADude
                      I could have guessed. isnt there tracks for the canoes in DL too?
                      Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                        omgosh imagine how scary it would be if it did!

                        -Lauryn


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                          There were accidents in a Texas Six Flags and I think a Busch park around the same time of each other in 1999, so it can happen on these rides, I remember it was not too long after Kali River opened in AK that they had the tip overs, and soon after Disney took the damaged capsized raft prop out of Kali River.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                            There was a fatal accident and Knott's Berry farm which the raft flipped and 1 girl died
                            pshhh i guess

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

                              Niether the GRR rafts or the DL's canoes are on a track. During the first few months of operation, I remember there being an incident where everyone on one of the Grizzly rafts got drenched. But, the raft didn't even come close to capsizing. Each "victem" was treated to a free clothing shopping spree. Some of them, told Disney to stick it, and left the park while furious. Stupid people. I'd give anything for my raft to undergo a minor malfunction for a reward like that!
                              To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X