This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Most difficult job in Disneyland

Inspired by Squirt_101 and the thread about your dream job....

I noticed that quite a few people said they would love to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper, but I think that would be one of the hardest jobs. You would have to take those stale jokes and make them seem funny time after time and always try to be "on". You couldn't even improvise too much.

What other ideas do you have for most difficult job(s) that maybe doesn't get enough respect?

Re: Most difficult job in Disneyland

Cast Member. I'm not so certain that any one is more difficult than another. I'm sure they all get their share of really rude customers and problems. Though the ones that end up taking the most verbal heat are probably the City Hall CMs. I really wouldn't want to be one of them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Most CM's who have backstage jobs, especially in foods, don't get the respect they should for the jobs that they do.

Try your hand at washing pots or dishes for a shift, or scrubbing out giant vats after sauces or soups have been made in them...or standing in hip waders spraying down floor mats at night.

My nominations for "most difficult job in Disneyland".

-- Barry
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscapist View Post
        Inspired by Squirt_101 and the thread about your dream job....

I noticed that quite a few people said they would love to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper, but I think that would be one of the hardest jobs. You would have to take those stale jokes and make them seem funny time after time and always try to be "on". You couldn't even improvise too much.

What other ideas do you have for most difficult job(s) that maybe doesn't get enough respect?
        Therein lies the rub. That's actually one of the funner parts, for me. Trying to come up with creative and fun ways to make the "same old tour" fresh and funny. It's a writer/comedian's dream job. I understand there's PC rules in effect but from what I understand, at night it's pretty loose. It's a blank canvas with a few set pieces that lend themselves to a lot of nice jokes.

Comment

For me personally, I think being a JC skip could indeed be pretty difficult at times. I have this idealized image in my head of me standing proudly at the bow, with consistently spot-on delivery of the most hilarious yet cheesy jokes, getting into character, provoking snorts of laughter from even the toughest crowds...but I doubt things'd turn out quite that well. It'd be cool to someday have the courage and opportunity to give it a try, though...

Backstage jobs certainly don't get enough respect. Janitorial staff as well, I'm sure. That could be hard. And as you noted, mycroft, anyone with an onstage job will occasionally have to deal with guests whose behavior is less than exemplary.

Oh well...to be honest, I'd take just about any job at Disneyland at this point, logistical issues aside. (That's not to say I don't have my preferences...but that's already been discussed elsewhere. )

Comment

Being a Skipper was the easiest role I have had at the DLR. I sure miss those days

Comment

Food service! Those people have to handle SO many crowds. Especially Gibson Girl at the end of the night. I'd hate to do that job. They have my utmost respect in there!

Comment

I'd say a crew member on the railroad because you have to have special training and certification (usually recognized by the State or provincial government). Not sure how it is at Disneyland but that's the way it usually is at any steam operated railroad. Probably the only attraction at the parks where you need to be certified, but once you get trained-up, it's not too difficult. Maybe Steve could shed some light on how the train crews are certified.

Comment

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention the railroad. Some of the positions there take the cake for difficulty when it comes to getting certified for the job, I'm sure.

Comment

Personally I would never be able to be a character. Especially the masked ones. In a hot and heavy costume, on a hot day, working shifts that seem entirely too long. Then of course you get the kids who have fun kicking, punching, and just abusing the characters in general. That job must be awful ><

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Comment

As far as difficulty based on physical labor, it's all about characters:
                      Baloo, Beast...any one in a LOT of fur.
                      Buzz...have you seen how (s)he has to walk?!?
                      Just generally being masked seems to give people an invitation to try and crack your ribs. Seriously, I've seen it happen.

Miley's VIP Hostess @ Sweet 16 (or any other time she's on property, really).

City Hall is what you make it, sure you take a lot of heat for stuff that in no way is your fault (some people just really love to yell), but it's very cool to be able to solve people's problems and put the magic back in their day. Anyways, I get a kick out of it. ...And the above positions too.

Comment

I think the most difficult job would be the staff that work with make a wish and similar organizations. I use to volunteer at a camp for terminal kids and it was hard to make it a full summer. I know granting wishes sounds fun but being with kids that might not live to be an adult is just hard.

Comment

I think that one of the hardest jobs would be food service. People get mad when it takes too long, it could be hot. Also I agree with the Guest Relations people at City hall, but I think that I would still enjoy that job because you get to talk down people all day. Also being a fuzzy character, on hot days, it could become intolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer20k View Post
                            Personally I would never be able to be a character. Especially the masked ones. In a hot and heavy costume, on a hot day, working shifts that seem entirely too long. Then of course you get the kids who have fun kicking, punching, and just abusing the characters in general. That job must be awful ><
                            Don't be so quick to be pessimistic about those roles. I know plenty of people who love their job as a fuzzy. I mean why do you think people go to the fuzzy auditions in the first place? It's not like they don't know what they're getting into. I think there are even some people who prefer doing fuzzy over face characters.
                            Last edited by littlecricket; 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

Comment

Are the suits not climate conditioned?

Also, while at WDW, I noticed they took "breaks" every 10-15 minutes, is this to change people in the costumes or the handlers?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X