This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Scrollable aerial photo of Disneyland 1956

I found this neat tool a while back, called MapLib, that lets you create scrollable images, like Google Maps, and add markers.

Here's a scrollable version of an aerial Disneyland 1956 photo taken from the west. I added a few fun markers. Be sure to zoom in and scroll around. Move your mouse over a marker to find out what it is.

Re: Scrollable aerial photo of Disneyland 1956

I think that might be the coolest thing ever posted on Micechat.

Thanks.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

Those things are so kewl!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
        I found this neat tool a while back, called MapLib, that lets you create scrollable images, like Google Maps, and add markers.

Here's a scrollable version of an aerial Disneyland 1956 photo taken from the west. I added a few fun markers. Be sure to zoom in and scroll around. Move your mouse over a marker to find out what it is.

Do it yourself Ken Burns Effect.

Comment

Wow,Thats cool,and notice the lack of traffic and motels...wow .p

Comment

Wow. Interesting, Mojave.

Thanks.
            MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
            (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

What was snow hill? I think I have heard of it, but dont remember what it was.
              We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by Vasooki View Post
                What was snow hill? I think I have heard of it, but dont remember what it was.
                I don't know if that's the proper name, but it was a hill, where the Matterhorn is today, that the Sky Way went over. I believe it had walking paths, through trees, up to the top of it.

Comment

Oh, thanks! That makes sense. I thought it might have been a precursor to the Matterhorn.
                  We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

Holiday Hill, I believe it was called. Not to be confused with Holidayland, which was a short-lived fair where Pirates and HM are now.

Comment

Amazing how a place can be so familiar, and yet completely foreign, at the same time.

Comment

Agreed, Sosai X. And by the way...your custom user title, avatar, location, and sig are AMAZING. :yea:

Comment

thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                            Holiday Hill, I believe it was called.
                            That's the only name I've ever seen associated with it.

Not to be confused with Holidayland, which was a short-lived fair where Pirates and HM are now.
                            It's kind of obvious, but I thought I'd point out explicitly that Holidayland is actually depicted in the aerial photo at the bottom-right, in case anybody was wondering. I believe that it also served as a picnic area for companies that rented it, like the Picnic Center over at Knott's Berry Farm. Nowadays, similar events are occasionally held at other locations, such as the festival arena.

Originally posted by Sosai X View Post
                            Amazing how a place can be so familiar, and yet completely foreign, at the same time.
                            That's true in many different ways. One thing that's striking about the Disneyland of 1956 from overhead is that the park's area (except for Holidayland, which was really a separate thing) was completely bound by the railroad tracks. I had estimated in another thread that Disneyland has grown in area by an astounding 50% since opening day (from 60 to 90 acres), much or even most of which took place or was in development during Walt's lifetime (a combination of expanding the tracks and housing large attractions outside of the tracks).

Agreed, Sosai X. And by the way...your custom user title, avatar, location, and sig are AMAZING. :yea:
                            They're so amazing that they're INCONCEIVABLE!

Comment

Holiday Hill, I believe it was called.
                              Yes, it was called that too. But Snow Hill shows on a several other sites and forums, and also apparently, the book "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak".

So, we're both right! What I don't know is which came first.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X