This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry I can't help but compare

On the WDW MGM studios has way less attractions then DCA. they even have entertainment mixed in with attractions. whats the deal?

Re: Sorry I can't help but compare

Well in my opinion people view MGM as a partial day visit just like they do DCA... although now they do have some more entertainment show options so maybe it can take a short day if you wanted to try and do everything... I sure wouldn't want to spend a whole day there at once though.

They have Star Tours, Tower of Terror(many feel better than ours, i agree though know some who don't), rock'n'roller coaster, great movie ride, a tram tour, fantasmic(gag), a giant covered food court where you spend most of your time :P, beauty and the beast, blablabla....

It might not be as much if you're comparing numbers of attractions, and it might feel small and not worth a full day, and yet it still doesn't feel AS cheap and boring as DCA can...and that's sad :/

Comment

Now I have to say I have been to DMGM and like it better than DCA. Here are the main differences.

1) When you walk into DMGM, you are confronted with Hollywood of the twenties, thirties, and forties. Instead of being a "pretend" movie lot, they stage a recreation of that time period. They have all the details to make you feel like it is really classic Hollywood. They have a gas station, period cars, music of the 1940's playing and costumed performers. All the shops are functional. If it is a movie theater, it is a movie theater, not a wiener stand pretending to be a movie theater.

2) Second they have big stage movie stunt show, Indiana Jones. Now this show is showing its age and needs to be updated, but it is a spectacular show with fire, shooting, explosions, and great stunt work.

3) Two major thrill rides, Tot and Rockin' Roller Coaster anchor one side. The have Star Tours which is equivalent to Disneyland's but do have some nice large props in front.

4) They have some real movie memorabilia like Dorothy's Ruby slippers, the witch's hat and a carousel horse from Mary Popins.

5) Fun restaurants like Sci Fi Dine in and '50's Prime time cafe make eating there a unique experience.

All these factors make it a better THEMED park. I have said before and will probably say again, the major problem with DCA is the theme is confused! There is little history of the state. Instead of being a postcard of California, they make up their own nonexistent tourist locations like Grizzly Mountain and Paradise Pier. Hollywood back lot cannot decide if it is a backlot (which is a series of fake fronts that have nothing behind them) or it is a trip back in time to Hollywood of that period. If Disney really did a California themed park, they should remove the bugs they have in this one!
      Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

The main problem with DCA is that they put it right next to the greatest theme park on earth, people can't help but compare them. I was young when I went to MGM but as far as I can remember, I enjoyed it.

Comment

I think MGM has more bang for your buck. Ultimately, it comes down to the theming. I don't hate DCA - some of it is really nice, but MGM has a much better cohesive feel IMO - even though it isn't perfect either.

Oh, to be still wishing for a DisneySea here in the states.............
          "Search the boat...."
          First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you :love: MiceChat?
          There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
          - visit the MiceChat store
          - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
          Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
            2) Second they have big stage movie stunt show, Indiana Jones. Now this show is showing its age and needs to be updated, but it is a spectacular show with fire, shooting, explosions, and great stunt work.
            They have taken this out and replaced it with the car/stunt show from france.
            Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ni_teach
              They have taken this out and replaced it with the car/stunt show from france.
              While there was (and, probably still is) talk about eventually taking out the Indy Stunt Show once Lights, Motors, Action! opens, they are currently both operating at the Studios.
              These are the games that never end.

Comment

almandot - I like DCA ToT better than MGM.

And to be honest, when i vistited WDW I wasnt a big fan if MGM. In fact of the 4 parks it was my least fav.... MK, Epcot, AK, MGM! You know even Typhoon Lagoon scored pretty high in my books and might even be tied with MGM. I think we spent more time at TL than MGM if i recall correctly. Just not my kinda park. The only thing I really enjoyed was Rockin Roler Coaster. We rode that several times. But everything else is the same or better at DLR... Star Tours, ToT...
                "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

One big problems with DCA is that there is really no shade. There are too many resturants which should be used for other things. If you go to the pier when the park opens you can't play any of the games since none of them open when the park opens. As was mentioned before the theming is confused. There are shop or locations where shops should be that are empty like the one right by GGR and Golden Dreams. I think the basics are there for it to be a good park, but it does need some work. Hopefully it will be someday too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward
                    While there was (and, probably still is) talk about eventually taking out the Indy Stunt Show once Lights, Motors, Action! opens, they are currently both operating at the Studios.
                    My mistake. I thought that they had shut down Indy Stunt Show at this point. But Hey, two stunt shows! It makes the park better.
                    Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ni_teach
                      My mistake. I thought that they had shut down Indy Stunt Show at this point. But Hey, two stunt shows! It makes the park better.
                      Nope, a new stadium was built for LMA, and Residential Street (i.e. the fake movie house street, like the Golden Girls' house, etc.) got the axe instead of Indy.
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo
                        Nope, a new stadium was built for LMA, and Residential Street (i.e. the fake movie house street, like the Golden Girls' house, etc.) got the axe instead of Indy.
                        I believe it also knocked out the stage were the Hunchback show was. It was as 'dead' a section of the park as the Hollywood District in DCA, I'm glad something cool is there now.
                        Having worked at both WDW (Disney-MGM Studios) and Disneyland Resort, DCA and MGM may look alot alike on paper with heavy heavy reliance of movie themeing and some thrill rides, but there is no rela comparison.
                        The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by mrmainstreet
                          I believe it also knocked out the stage were the Hunchback show was. It was as 'dead' a section of the park as the Hollywood District in DCA, I'm glad something cool is there now.
                          Having worked at both WDW (Disney-MGM Studios) and Disneyland Resort, DCA and MGM may look alot alike on paper with heavy heavy reliance of movie themeing and some thrill rides, but there is no rela comparison.
                          Did it get rid of that? Isn't that where the San Francisco facade is now? Where they now store the Osborne festival of Lights, or whatever it's called?
                          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I forgot to add one more thing,

6. DMGM hosts Fantasmic! Although it is not a great a presentation as DL's, it still is a nice show. It gives DMGM a night time spectacular that DCA really does not have.
                            Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

I agree, I think a lot of it has to do with the theming. There are parts of MGM that do have a "soundstage" feel to it, but that is because when it opened it was an actual working movie studio. But the theming is more cohesive and substantial.... well, before they put the big Sorcerer Mickey Hat there. I guess another example is the Disney Studio's Paris. The lack of theming makes the park look and feel like an outlet mall. The reverse is Hong Kong Disneyland, which is detailed decently, but lacks attractions.

Cris

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X