Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Disneyland Blackout on Sunday? (Merged Threads)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Disneyland Blackout on Sunday? (Merged Threads)

OK, so there's this email rant flying around today in which the author from a homeschooling group in SoCal states that on Sunday night, Disneyland experienced a blackout, where the lights inside Disneyland where turned off for 30 minutes, and how horrible it was for everyone around her, not knowing if some kind of natural disaster had struck.
    I'm trying to determine whether this is a joke, or, God forbid, someone was actually that stupid NOT to know that it was the result of the Candlelight Processional taking place. Here's the original message (I wish I knew the email addy of the author, but alas, I don't):

We have never been to the park before and we visited with relatives from the east coast and our 2 year old daughter. I approached the day with a certain amount of cynacism but, up until dusk, we had a great day and loved the parade. We emerged from the "It's A Small World" installation and suddenly the lights went off in the entire area.

COMPLETE DARKNESS at 5:30pm.

It was pandemonium. There were tens of thousands of people at the park last night and everyone was scrambling. No one had any idea what was happening - whether there had been a blackout or an earthquake.

Parents struggled to find young children. People pushing strollers wrecked into pedestrians. People on larks that did not have headlights were crashing into the curb and other pedestrians.

The worst part was that we witnessed an elderly lady walking with a cane fall on her FACE because she couldn't see that there was a step down from the sidewalk onto the street. It was that dark.

We rushed to her aid but there were no security guards and no call boxes anywhere in sight.

We hurried to approach an usher sort of person holding a flashlight who would not move from his position. He did absolutely nothing for an elderly woman in pain on the ground.
    We ran to a small group of young kid ushers and they did the same thing - they sort of winced but did not approach the area where the woman was LYING ON THE STREET as masses of people were moving in complete darkenss and walking right into her.

Having never been to the park before we had no orientation about where we were and we walked for A HALF AN HOUR - yes, thirty minutes in the dark trying to rush to get out of the park before things got worse.

When we were at the gate at 6pm - yes, let me remind you again that we walked for 30 minutes in complete darkness among screaming children, screaming parents, wrecking strollers and larks... the lights were turned back on for some choral concert. Are you kidding me? Disney put the safety and welfare of tens of thousands of people in jeopardy for a big bang opening for a choral concert?!

I wonder if Disney intended to give the one nefarious customer a chance to abduct a child in the cover of darkness - or even a wallet for that matter.

I can not believe how utterly reckless and dangerous a decision was this. I am also shocked and appalled that Disney did not have any security personnel to deal with a situation like an elderly person taking a fall - the place seemed to be full of elderly.
    I resent, after having spend several hundred dollars entrance fee, in not having had a fair warning so that I could decide whether I'd prefer to sit in darkness in the park or be in my car on the way home before Disney rudely turned out the lights.

Re: Disneyland Blackout on Sunday?

I was in Disneyland from 5:00pm to 10pm this past Sunday after coming from DCA. We watched the candles pass by us in the Plaza Garden, and a little while later I rode Indy. There were no blackouts.

Comment

Please. It's hardly pitch black at 5:30.
      A signature should go here.

Comment

The more I think about it, they did dim the lights for the procession of the candles, but it wasn't pitch black. I walked with a tray of food from stagedoor to plaza garden with the lights dimmed. It was dimmed down like they would for fireworks. Chaos and screaming? Makes me laugh just thinking about it, because it didn't happen.

This story is a bit exaggerated........

Comment

I can only hope it's a joke.

I would ask how so many people could be so stupid, but I guess once the mob mentality takes over, things can get out of hand.

I guess the person in the email above didn't read the daily guide they were given, which would be odd since it was their alleged first time in the park. And I imagine they must not have seen the setup in Town Square, or heard the prior announcements.

-- Barry
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

False

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
              Please. It's hardly pitch black at 5:30.
              Close enough, from where I see the sun go down...we are only 13 days away from the shortest day of the year, don't forget.

-- Barry
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I really hope whoever wrote that wasn't serious. That's just ridiculous.

http://skeletonstockings.deviantart.com/

Comment

Also Disney is required to have emergency lights (UPS/Battery powered, they come on automatically when power is interupted) within rides, etc, for safety/evacuation reasons... the fire marshall would not allow them to operate without them...

Plus I'd be shocked if they didn't have some serious backup generators to have at least lights and uh... cash registers running =-).

Also, it would also be weird if Disneyland wasn't on multiple "grids" therefore the odds of the whole park going down would basically mean the whole town would go out, which is very rare in California.

Comment

Sundown in Ventura, CA today 12/8 - 4:47 PM.

Yip, it's dark at 5-30.

-- Barry

Comment

that's kinda funny...in the false sense...lol!

Comment

Utter pandemonium and not a word of it on the news? I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

I was also at the park on Sunday around that time and it wasn't that dark. That story is completely false.
                          "You are watching FOX"

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                            I can only hope it's a joke.

I would ask how so many people could be so stupid, but I guess once the mob mentality takes over, things can get out of hand.

I guess the person in the email above didn't read the daily guide they were given, which would be odd since it was their alleged first time in the park. And I imagine they must not have seen the setup in Town Square, or heard the prior announcements.

-- Barry
                            Candlelight is not in the park guide.
                            The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

DRAMA QUEEN

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X