Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splash Mountain: Degree of Dampness Controlled?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Splash Mountain: Degree of Dampness Controlled?

This is another question that I feel has an obvious answer, and yes, may have been discussed at one time before, but I'm compelled to seek an answer anyway.

A friend and I were on Splash Mountain last night. She's crazy for Splash Mountain, solely because she's crazy for "robots," and Splash Mountain has "like fifty robots!"

Here we are on Bats Day. That's her in the front, me right behind.

This picture was taken during the day. We got soaked. Soaked.

Then we went again on a whim last night. Because she loves robots. And we walked off the ride bone dry.

This has happened too many times to me to be a coincidence. If I go on the ride in the morning I get wet. Squishy wet. But I've never gone on the ride at night and gotten much wetter than I do on Pirates.

So how is this measure of control achieved? Do they lower the water level after sundown, which decreases the general splash-degree?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

Re: Splash Mountain: Degree of Dampness Controlled?

Logically, if they lower the water level at the bottom of the big drop 'splashdown zone' by small amounts - only an inch or two - it should provide the same braking force but generate less of a wake and splash.

But even at that, it's partly random depending on exactly how the waves you generate are dissipated - if they hit a wall and are bounced back you get splashed, if they go over the wall cleanly the bow wave dissipates the energy going away from you and you stay dry.

Part of that is the log attitude on splashdown - Is your log nose-heavy, neutral, or tail-heavy? I would suppose that tail-heavy (front seats empty) would be the least splash, because you'll surf over the water at the bottom rather than dig in and make a wave. And front heavy would be the worst, because the attitude would be wrong and the wake will come right over the bow.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Bruce raises a great point. However, if you remember the wake soaks the first person. Everyone else is soaked by the water blasted at you in the birar patch. They may turn this down at night which would lead to people getting less wet. Can a Splash CM answer this for sure.
      WELCOME ABOARD
      THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

i've gone on it at closing time in cold weather and gotten drenched, twice in a row in fact cuz they let us go through again.. I think the best thing to do would be just ask someone who works at Splash if they do anything to it. My guess would be no on a "during the day" basis but perhaps seasonally yes. But overall I'd say no. When they used to have the giant flume of water that shot out of a cannon when the logs went down the drop they could turn that off in cold weather, and still do in Florida I believe.

Comment

Having done quite a bit of "research" on this, in MY OWN experience, the wettest you'll get on the ride is not from the final drop, but the indoor coaster section - especially if your log is weighted with the heaviest riders in the middle of the log. When you leave the coaster track and drop back into the flume trough, you'll get a nasty wave of water from the right hand side that comes right over the side of the log.

The worst drenching you'll get from the final drop, is when the log gets to the end of the runout quickly and drops immediately into the flume - the splash can hit the ceiling and fall down on the people in the back of the log and leave the front person relatively unscathed. Just go over to Tom Sawyer's Island and watch logs drop for a bit, and you'll see this happen from time to time.
          See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

Actually, ever since the big refurb over a year ago whenever it was... I've noticed a wave effect where after the initial splash down the water creates a barrier that collapses right onto the log, mainly on the people towards the front. Depending on the weight of the log this can be enormous.

Comment

I'll take this one. We have no control over the "splash" of the ride, and we certainly don't tone things down once the sun sets. It's all purely the physics of the ride. How wet you get depends on how the log has been weighted or even how much weight it has. If you got off bone dry during your evening run, I'm going to guess you two were the only ones in the log. A log that is mostly empty usually doesn't send up a lot of spray, something I've noticed from multiple solo trips.
              Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
              Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                I'll take this one. We have no control over the "splash" of the ride, and we certainly don't tone things down once the sun sets. It's all purely the physics of the ride. How wet you get depends on how the log has been weighted or even how much weight it has. If you got off bone dry during your evening run, I'm going to guess you two were the only ones in the log. A log that is mostly empty usually doesn't send up a lot of spray, something I've noticed from multiple solo trips.
                Well, I guess I couldn't have asked for a more specialized opinion than that.
                Zoe Necrosis
                Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

Comment

Legacy beat me too it. There is no control over the water level... it needs to be maintained at a certain level regardless.

It can also really depend on the log that went in before you and what they did to the water. If rebound wake from the previous log is bouncing in the right place as you come down it will make you extra wet.

BruceBergman also makes excellent points about where the weight in your log is situated.

Your speed at the bottom makes an impact as well as how fast your log decelerates

Vary any one of the many variables by even a slight amount and you completely change the physics of the splash.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I love Splash Mountain but I hate getting wet, even in the middle of the day. If it's 100 degrees outside THEN I actually want to get soaking wet, but how many times does it ever reach those temperatures in Anaheim.

Walking around in sopping wet shoes for hours and jeans that seem to hold a pound of water and never dry just isn't very fun unless it's incredibly hot outside. I could never figure out why ride designers actually make it so that people get soaked in such a mild climate.

Comment

They can certainly control the degree of water that hits you in Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain. You don't soak people who are going to walk out of the ride into 30-degree weather in the winter. And in fact they don't. In the summer you get wet, in the winter you don't.
                      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

I don't know if this is true ir not but....

I have heard from some people that they have a winter and summer mode. It makes the water levels higher or lower. Winter don't get as wet summer you do, but I've never reconignized your situation were it changes during the day.
                        "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                          They can certainly control the degree of water that hits you in Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain. You don't soak people who are going to walk out of the ride into 30-degree weather in the winter. And in fact they don't. In the summer you get wet, in the winter you don't.
                          This is a very general degree of control and is just altering the amount of water in various sections of the ride. This can't be done on a "per log" basis though. I'm not actually certain if this is indeed done at DLR. It might be at TDR, but again, I don't know for certain. I have heard this before as well.

But to stress again... it is not on a per log basis.

(YAY 4,000th post!!)
                          Last edited by mycroft16; 12-13-2008, 09:56 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
                            I don't know if this is true ir not but....

I have heard from some people that they have a winter and summer mode. It makes the water levels higher or lower. Winter don't get as wet summer you do, but I've never reconignized your situation were it changes during the day.
                            If this is true, the modes are changed by maintenance. Quite frankly, though, I'm disinclined to believe this. As others have said before, the water levels do need to stay somewhat constant. If they get too high or too low, the ride will temporarily stop itself so that the levels can return to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                              If this is true, the modes are changed by maintenance. Quite frankly, though, I'm disinclined to believe this. As others have said before, the water levels do need to stay somewhat constant. If they get too high or too low, the ride will temporarily stop itself so that the levels can return to normal.

Legacy couple of questions for you.

1) What's the best way to position to the to get the least wet and most wet? (guess would be nice too if you don't know for sure)

2)Do you know Grant? I'm pretty sure he worked there for a while and goes to UCR he's a friend of a friend

Comment

All I know is that I used to get a little wet, sometimes quite a bit on just my face, but now my pants get totally drenched every single time. The change seems to have occurred with the latest version of the logs, which may be more front-heavy than before because of how the riders are arranged. The logs themselves could also be heavier for some reason, although I have no way of knowing. By the way, I'm not exactly petite, but my weight hasn't changed in many years, so it's not that.

Comment

Originally posted by aznshrek88 View Post
                                  Legacy couple of questions for you.

1) What's the best way to position to the to get the least wet and most wet? (guess would be nice too if you don't know for sure)

2)Do you know Grant? I'm pretty sure he worked there for a while and goes to UCR he's a friend of a friend
                                  1) Aside from the general "front is the wettest, back is the driest" rule, the only other reliable factor that I personally have noticed in creating minimum or maximum splash is the number of riders, which ties in to the overall weight of the log. If the log is virtually empty (one or two riders) you can sit two seats from the front and barely get wet. Likewise, there have been times when a full log causes a massive tidal wave to rise over everyone after shooting down the last drop. I've tried to make note of what placement of weight creates this affect (it's really quite amazing if you don't mind getting soaked), but alas have yet to arrive at any definite conclusions. Hope that helps.

2) Sorry, but I don't believe I know Grant. However, I only work when school's out, so it's quite possible that I may have missed him while he was working.

Comment

Legacy Wrote:

1) Aside from the general "front is the wettest, back is the driest" rule, the only other reliable factor that I personally have noticed in creating minimum or maximum splash is the number of riders, which ties in to the overall weight of the log. If the log is virtually empty (one or two riders) you can sit two seats from the front and barely get wet. Likewise, there have been times when a full log causes a massive tidal wave to rise over everyone after shooting down the last drop. I've tried to make note of what placement of weight creates this affect (it's really quite amazing if you don't mind getting soaked), but alas have yet to arrive at any definite conclusions. Hope that helps.
                                    I have to agree with Legacy. I did that last weekend I rode at the back of the log. Went of Splash five times in a row and only the top of my pants go wet from jumping in water. I love getting wet so next time I'm going in the front.
                                    "You are watching FOX"

Comment

Well generally speaking, I only find the wettest parts are those drops in the middle where the splashes come into the boat like after the 1st drops and all the dark fumes the water comes in from the sides...

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
                                        Legacy Wrote:

I have to agree with Legacy. I did that last weekend I rode at the back of the log. Went of Splash five times in a row and only the top of my pants go wet from jumping in water. I love getting wet so next time I'm going in the front.
                                        I love getting wet in the front, that I might wear a white shirt next time

Comment

Working...
                                        X