Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Choices, choices...Which AP?

Alright, here's the scoop. I'm allowed to get an AP, which is totally awesome, but I have to use my own cash to pay for it. What I want to know is what AP you'd suggest to get. I'm entering high school next year, which means busy, busy, busy. As if I don't have enough of that now. I'd possibly go during vacation but would never ditch school (OK, well...much) in order to go.
    Apologies if some of that info was useless

Re: Choices, choices...Which AP?

If you get a SoCal pass you will be blocked out on many weekends and holidays but if you live close enough to go after school that could be an option.

Otherwise a Deluxe is better because you can go all Sundays and Saturdays during the "off-season". Holidays are blocked.
    Premium has no blockouts but it is very expensive and I doubt that you will be buying a whole lot of things to make the discount worth the huge price of the pass.

Comment

If you can swing it, I'd go Premium. When I lived in Anaheim it's what I always got. Nothing like being able to go to the park any time you would like.

Comment

Go with the payment plan that most folks seems to be so excited about.

You can now "charge" your way into DL and pay for it each month whether you enjoy the Park that month or not. Another monthly payment can't hurt anyone...

Get the PAP (like Disney wants folks to do) since it is only a few pennies more per day than the other ones and you won't have to worry about paying for parking or blockout days. And Disney gets more revenue for it.

Seems like DL and their payment plan supporters have it all worked out for you!

But if you are doing the right thing for yourself and paying cash (like you've indicated), I'd suggest you look at the AP/ticket section of the DL website and see the actual differences between the AP's. Pay attention to the blockout days and the parking pass upgrade option.

Whatever works out best for YOU, is what you should get.

Enjoy!

Comment

I am a big fan of the Premium Pass. I save every year so I can renew mine. I like to be able to go to the parks whenever I want and it helps with the food costs... every little cent saved counts!

OldSchoolMickey is right about checking out the site. Each pass has it's pros and cons and Disney has a side by side comparison to help out thje decision making process.

Whatever you choose, have fun!
          <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Comment

My friends and I are big fans of the SoCal pass. We live about an hour and a half out from Anaheim so we make it to the parks maybe once every couple months. Saturdays are always blocked on this pass which I don't mind since Saturdays are always packed. Fridays, Sundays and many weekdays are opened. We split the cost of parking. I really cannot justify paying almost $400 for an AP, it's not super hard to work around the blockout schedule or split to pay for parking with the cheaper passes. The SoCal pass is already almost $200 and I still think thats pushing it a bit but I'm a penny pincher. lol
            Hope this helps!

Facebook me!
            Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
              Go with the payment plan that most folks seems to be so excited about.

You can now "charge" your way into DL and pay for it each month whether you enjoy the Park that month or not. Another monthly payment can't hurt anyone...

Get the PAP (like Disney wants folks to do) since it is only a few pennies more per day than the other ones and you won't have to worry about paying for parking or blockout days. And Disney gets more revenue for it.

Seems like DL and their payment plan supporters have it all worked out for you!

But if you are doing the right thing for yourself and paying cash (like you've indicated), I'd suggest you look at the AP/ticket section of the DL website and see the actual differences between the AP's. Pay attention to the blockout days and the parking pass upgrade option.

Whatever works out best for YOU, is what you should get.

Enjoy!
              you should not imply that using the payment plan is the "wrong" thing. it would probably actually work much better for a high school student than for a family with a credit card and monthly bills.
              "Another monthly payment can't hurt anyone..."? you should say everyone instead of anyone. it would probably hurt a high school student the least because it is not "another" monthly payment for them, it's simply a monthly payment. and it is also worth noting that there is no interest paid when you choose a monthly payment plan for your AP.

Well, since you would go during weekends and school vacations but would not skip school to go to the park (good for you!), i highly recommend the Premium. Even if you didn't go all summer (and if you live in the area you probably will), it would most likely still be worth it for you to be able to go on saturdays in the spring (blocked out on all passes except premium). I always get premium even though there's such a big price difference because of this; the day i most often attend DL is saturday. also, if you drive, getting a Deluxe plus parking pass is not that far off from the Premium anyway, which already has parking included.

think about the payment plan; do it if you know that you will for sure pay the price every month, because it can make it so much easier on a young person's budget, especially if you don't have a ton of other expenses to take care of. you'd need a checking account with an ATM to do it, though, because the payments are automatic. basically your only responsibility would be to make sure that your account always has enough money to cover the payment each month.
              if you don't want to do the payment plan and still can't quite swing a Premium, think about getting a Deluxe and then upgrading as soon as possible!

These are my recommendations from someone who is also in school and never wants to skip class (and does all her homework on sundays! haha)
              "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

I would say a SoCal pass. Me and my family have a SoCal Select which works for us as we are a homeschooling family, but for you a SoCal might be better in terms of prices. Most Sundays aren't blocked out but I think all Saturdays are, so I don't know.
                ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Comment

Let's see...

https://secure-disneyland.disney.go....derLandingPage

Do you need Parking? If so, the options are pretty much SoCal with Parking ($233), Deluxe with Parking ($328) and Premium ($389 - parking is included).

When will you go, you state you are going to school, so that pretty much rules out the Southern California Select (no weekends and no summer).

So you have 3 main choices, the SoCal, the Deluxe and the Premium.

Discounts, all have a food discount, good at most locations at the Resort.

SoCal/Deluxe - 10%

Premium - 15%

The food discount isn't a big driver to which choice you want.

Only the Premium AP has a Merchandise discount, 10% on most merchandise.

So unless you plan to buy a LOT of Merchandise, once again, not a big reason to buy a specific AP.

So you need to look at the blockout dates and decide which choice is best for you.

If you are not sure, let me recommend you get the lower priced option, and then if need be, you can always upgrade to the higher level at a later date.

So more than likely, a SoCal or a Deluxe would be the first type of AP you should get, and then see how much usage you get out of the AP, and upgrade if you find that you are getting too many blockout dates.
                  Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Since you will be entering school soon, you should go with the Premium pass, the other passes will rule out a lot of your summer and weekends. So, if you have the biggest one and you plan on going quite a bit - that's your best bargain.
                    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by dl_appurtenant View Post
                      I would say a SoCal pass. Me and my family have a SoCal Select which works for us as we are a homeschooling family, but for you a SoCal might be better in terms of prices. Most Sundays aren't blocked out but I think all Saturdays are, so I don't know.
                      That's me until high school

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
                      ...So more than likely, a SoCal or a Deluxe would be the first type of AP you should get, and then see how much usage you get out of the AP, and upgrade if you find that you are getting too many blockout dates.
                      Wonderful idea! Thank you! Feel free to give more advice, I shall need it in times to come.

Comment

FYI, the Deluxe is valid all summer long, it mainly blocks out busy Saturdays (about half of them) and Holidays, plus the week of Christmas to New Years.

It is a very good choice for most people.

The link at Post #9 (Disneyland.com AP info) has access to all the blockout dates (calenders).
                        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

I'd go for the So Cal until you get a feel for how often you will actually be going to the park. If you're just entering high school, you are dependent on others to give you a ride- it's not like you can just go own your on whenever you want. So wait and see what you really need and then upgrade if you need more open days.
                          Last edited by SusieP.; 12-20-2008, 09:04 AM.
                          A signature should go here.

Comment

Wish, since everyone is recommending PAP and I'm assuming you are too. Let me know if you aren't a Costco member and I'd be willing to help out (PM me). I got my PAP through Costco (Buy the Deluxe, then you get a 50 dollar gift card to apply towards a PAP) so total cost is about 339 (50 off the face value).

Comment

^^^^^^

Nice idea!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X