• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FinalAdventure
    Digging to Earth's center
    • Jun 2007

[Question] James and the Giant Peach

This is a weird question, but was there ever any James and the Giant Peach anything in the parks? If not, would there be any chance it would ever show up in DL or DCA?
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1
  • Vasooki
    Vasooki-land Owner
    • Aug 2008

Re: James and the Giant Peach

Was james and the Giant peach disney?

Ignore that purple. I was being different.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

• Datameister
      =)
      • Aug 2005

It was released through Buena Vista, so it is Disney's property, yes. I don't know of it every being used in the parks, though, and I doubt it will be in the future. It never developed the kind of cult following NBC has, and it's even less conducive to some sort of overlay than NBC is. So I don't think it'll make its way into the parks.

Comment

• dizzneeland
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2008

Bring on James and the Pirates of the Caribbean...:thumbup:
        Download my EP: Dizz Presents The Free EP

Comment

• Capt Hook
          Banned User
          • Jun 2006

I've never hear of this movie so I wouldn't no who he was if he came to the park.

Comment

• Datameister
            =)
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by dizzneeland View Post
            Bring on James and the Pirates of the Caribbean...:thumbup:
            Hey, they both involve an ocean, right? And I'm sure the stylistic contrast would be just as well-appreciated as the contrast between NBC and HM...

Comment

• CelestialImperium
              Destroyer of Mallcore
              • May 2007

I always thought it was an interesting film, especially when I first saw it but I can see why it doesn't have a following or was never mentioned again.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Comment

• dizzneeland
                MiceChatter
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by CelestialImperium View Post
                I always thought it was an interesting film, especially when I first saw it but I can see why it doesn't have a following or was never mentioned again.

Because the kid had an accent.... Seriously....

I'm not down talking people who have them. That's why everybody who does have them, covers them up.

Comment

• DannyB
                  always, the freaky cat
                  • Nov 2008

Because the kid had an accent.... Seriously....

I'm not down talking people who have them. That's why everybody who does have them, covers them up.
                  Yes, the Harry Potter movies were a big flop with no following for the same reason. Oh, wait...

Comment

• dizzneeland
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DannyB View Post
                    Yes, the Harry Potter movies were a big flop with no following for the same reason. Oh, wait...

I wouldn't know, I never watched them.....I don't have kids.

My point is, that kid in James and the Giant Peach was annoying. Also, James and the Gian Peach wasn't action/fantasy or whatever HP is classified as. And when there isn't as much going on visually the story needs to carry the flick. If it's hard to understand the main character beyond what someone is used to, it takes enjoyment out of seeing the movie. The sad part is is that was one of my favorite books growing up.

PS, DannyB, when you use examples, try and use more then one. Throwing some characters in space is one of the chessiest type of flicks, but one of the biggest phenom's in film history is Star Wars. Catch my drift? It helps to make your point more valid.

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                      Mrs. J. Depp
                      • Mar 2008

Well it was a Tim Burton film, but unlike/like HMH with NBC, has no real place in the parks.

Facebook me!
                      Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• dizzneeland
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                        Well it was a Tim Burton film, but unlike/like HMH with NBC, has no real place in the parks.

They could change the orange stinger to a giant peach. Or the parchute drops to peach drops. How about California Peachin? Maybe they could do a ride about the Roxford Peaches and the peach logo could have a kid standing on it with a foul mouthed centipede, lady bug, yadda yadda yadda, I'm going to bed....

Comment

• Quacky4Donald
                          Don't Mess With The Duck!
                          • Oct 2006

Being a HUGE fan of the book, James And The Giant Peach, I was completely disappointed with how the movie was put together. Mechanical sharks? Please. Horrible aunts who get run over by a massive peach who then show up alive at the end of the movie? Please. The entire film had so many flaws when compared to the book it was laughable.

I know I'm coming off as a snob, and I'm sorry for that to those of you who like(d) the film, but to me it was one of the worst things Disney had put out at its time. I'd be happy if Disney forgot about it (like they have thank God) completely and perhaps, perhaps, in the future tried again with it, but next time make sure to put more effort into capturing the charm that Mr. Dahl did when he wrote it.

- Joe

Comment

• StrikeYerColors
                            A Weather Eye Open
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
                            Being a HUGE fan of the book, James And The Giant Peach, I was completely disappointed with how the movie was put together. Mechanical sharks? Please. Horrible aunts who get run over by a massive peach who then show up alive at the end of the movie? Please. The entire film had so many flaws when compared to the book it was laughable.

I know I'm coming off as a snob, and I'm sorry for that to those of you who like(d) the film, but to me it was one of the worst things Disney had put out at its time. I'd be happy if Disney forgot about it (like they have thank God) completely and perhaps, perhaps, in the future tried again with it, but next time make sure to put more effort into capturing the charm that Mr. Dahl did when he wrote it.

- Joe
                            I was just a little kid when the movie came out, but I was a big Roald Dahl fan, and I remember being disappointed with the movie as well. I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theatre. That said, I don't think it was a very bad movie in and of itself now that i look back on it. I think the problem was that there really was no market for the stop-motion stuff, sadly. Nightmare was not very successful when it first came out, and it's following was still pretty small when James came out. I honestly think James didn't get a following later on, like Nightmare did, because it didn't have any gothytype subculture elements. Nightmare wouldn't be nearly as sucessful if it didn't have skeletons and old rag dolls and spiders everywhere.
                            "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

• Alpoe001
                              HauntedOne999
                              • Aug 2006

I personally like the movie... although it had the same creative team as NBC it was not done by Tim Burton, which I believe was the reason its didnt become a cult classic like NBC. The only place anything based off the movie could fit in is in the entrance of the Bountyful Farms/Bugs land area in DCA, but that would be a stretch as movie focuses on the UK and New York.

The film would have to be re-released in theaters and posibbly 3d to make an impact, but i doubt that disney would put out the money on hope it would become popular. Heck at least release an anniversary edition DVD... I would buy it.
                              Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Comment

• Datameister
                                =)
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Alpoe001 View Post
                                I personally like the movie... although it had the same creative team as NBC it was not done by Tim Burton, which I believe was the reason its didnt become a cult classic like NBC.
                                Tim Burton produced both films.

The only place anything based off the movie could fit in is in the entrance of the Bountyful Farms/Bugs land area in DCA, but that would be a stretch as movie focuses on the UK and New York.
                                Exactly...the film has nothing to do with California, and it doesn't even fit in with the influx of non-CA-related Disney and Pixar characters. So it gets a HUGE no from me in that context.

Comment

• Alpoe001
                                  HauntedOne999
                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                  Tim Burton produced both films.
                                  just checked it up on wiki... i guess Tim Burton did Produce it...hmm...

oh well...

Maybe DLRs 3rd gate should be Burtonland... then you'd have NBC, JatGP, Frankenweenie, and the new Alice film he is making... it would be a dark/gothic park but I'd go to it
                                  Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Comment

• Kritter
                                    He Gets The Job Done
                                    • Oct 2006

LOVED the movie!

Don't know if it should be in the parks though

Comment

• DannyB
                                      always, the freaky cat
                                      • Nov 2008

My point is, that kid in James and the Giant Peach was annoying. Also, James and the Gian Peach wasn't action/fantasy or whatever HP is classified as. And when there isn't as much going on visually the story needs to carry the flick. If it's hard to understand the main character beyond what someone is used to, it takes enjoyment out of seeing the movie. The sad part is is that was one of my favorite books growing up.
                                      It seemed to me that the point you were making was that the movie didn't do so well solely because the main character spoke with an accent. A character with an accent may have some effect, but I think the other things you mention here are more important: that he's annoying, that there's not much going on visually, etc. I personally didn't care much for the movie (don't even remember if I made it through the whole thing), but it wasn't because of the accent.

Comment

• MainStreetJake
                                        Banned User
                                        • Apr 2008

Saw it once, cried myself to sleep that night. It really creeped me out!!! I usually like Tim Burton's films. Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc, but my least two favorites from him have to be James & the Giant Peach, and the Willy Wonka. Both of those are unbelievably wierd, and creepy.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X