This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Differences from pre-Fantasmic days

So living in the Bay Area we went to Disneyland about every 2 years it seemed. Maybe a bit more...but from the late 70's to the early 90's I went about a dozen or so times. I often remember having the same routine.

Getting to the park early in the morning, riding and doing things until after lunch then going back to hotel for swim, etc only to return at night, and at night the only thing to watch was the electric parade, which cleared many people out of the rest of the park and it always seemed at night that things were much less crowded.

I remember in the summer of 89 when Splash Mtn opened we went there for a good friends wedding across the street. The lines during the day for the ride were 3-4 hours, we didnt wait, but after 9 PM or so, we waited about 10 minutes to ride.

So between 1991 and 2004 I had not been to Disneyland, had been to DW a few times but now having kids of my own, we get annual passes and head down 3-4 times a year for the last 3 years. The biggest difference I see is really the congestion at night is almost unbearable at times. People packing in for Fantasmic or the Parade or the fireworks with parts of the park closed off for these shows it really limits where people can go.

As much as I like Fantasmic and have seen it several times, I really look forward to the nights its not playing, makes the evenings there more enjoyable IMO. Anyone else feel this way?

Are the evenings just as crowded as the days and certainly much more crowded than evenings used to be in relation to the rest of the day...is this Fantasmic, parades or people just all stay now?

Re: Differences from pre-Fantasmic days

Here we go again.

Comment

I love Fantasmic... but OMG! Crowd control nightmare when it comes to even being on that side of the park... Then you have Fireworks in the hub which closes off parts of Fantasyland and Toontown, and a parade running right through before with roped off area everywhere... and to top it all off they are all going on at the same time of night... then you add a combo of summer crowds packed in [like our last trips] and it makes the night so unbearable... [the afternoon parade is more favorable to see for this reason imo] but on the flip side... the shows and entertainment is so worth it... To be honest I actually prefer when they stagger the entertainment and possibly offer one or the other on select nights and just more or less spread it out over the weekend... Big productions are fine and amazing... just spread it out a little more and it would make trip planning a lot easier.

On the other flipside with having very little to no entertainment... I am not to thrilled about this trip we are planning not having much as far as Entertainment... I looked at the Calendar and on the 23rd of January [that Friday] not much is being offered which is a bummer [you kinda need something as far as entertainment in the parks]... but Ideally, I would like it if they focused on offering one big show [Fantasmic, Remember Dreams Come True, The Parade viewing at night because afternoon is fine and staggered perfectly] or maybe just one big production per night of the weekend so you could stagger the entertainment out on your trips and not only that... it would make crowd control a lot more pleasant and less stressful so its in only one area of the park and not in about 50% of the park [when it comes to me and very large crowds and getting packed in for stuff like Fantasmic or the Fireworks I get all stressed out]... so over the years my sister and I have found ways to alleviate that and still see the wonderful entertainment like watching the afternoon parade, if they offer a second showing of Fantasmic catching that one, or having dessert on the outdoor seating of Plaza Inn and watching the fireworks and lasers from the castle... and who doesnt want fireworks and cheesecake?

Keep in mind I am not complaining... the entertainment is top notch, great, and worth seeing... Crowds and crowd control on the other hand... stressful... and I would assume the poor CM's deal with a lot of stress from the crowds... they deserve a pat on the back for doing crowd control!
      Add me... I dont bite LOL!
      http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
      http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

That's a bad idea.
        You don't want everyone packing just one area to watch one show. You want to split the crowds between multiple shows.

Comment

Hey... you just wait until WoC opens at DCA. F! will look like the Flying Saucers compared to it.
          Last edited by MickeyM; 01-01-2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: wrong letter

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyM View Post
            Hey... you just wait until WoW opens at DCA. F! will look like the Flying Saucers compared to it.
            Still World of Color would be worth it... again, I dont hate the shows or entertainment... just the crowds more or less and getting a good spot then getting crammed in like a sardine... I never get claustrophobic or anything but when you are crammed in with so many people and herded like cattle after the show ends by crowd control or while walking from one area to another it does get a little bit of anxiety going!

Its nice that this time they are planning ahead for World of Color and adding more area for viewing which is good to hear! But overall yeah... World of Color looks like its going to be amazing though! And I love Fantasmic... I grew up with it so it does hold a special place in my trips
            Add me... I dont bite LOL!
            http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
            http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyM View Post
              Hey... you just wait until WoW opens at DCA. F! will look like the Flying Saucers compared to it.
              WoW?

lol... That may be a good nickname for it if it is as good as everyone hopes for it to be.

Comment

World of Color. Sorry, I accidentally used a W instead of a C.
                Last edited by MickeyM; 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM. Reason: explaination

Comment

Originally posted by passholder View Post
                  So living in the Bay Area we went to Disneyland about every 2 years it seemed. Maybe a bit more...but from the late 70's to the early 90's I went about a dozen or so times. I often remember having the same routine.

Getting to the park early in the morning, riding and doing things until after lunch then going back to hotel for swim, etc only to return at night, and at night the only thing to watch was the electric parade, which cleared many people out of the rest of the park and it always seemed at night that things were much less crowded.

I remember in the summer of 89 when Splash Mtn opened we went there for a good friends wedding across the street. The lines during the day for the ride were 3-4 hours, we didnt wait, but after 9 PM or so, we waited about 10 minutes to ride.

So between 1991 and 2004 I had not been to Disneyland, had been to DW a few times but now having kids of my own, we get annual passes and head down 3-4 times a year for the last 3 years. The biggest difference I see is really the congestion at night is almost unbearable at times. People packing in for Fantasmic or the Parade or the fireworks with parts of the park closed off for these shows it really limits where people can go.

As much as I like Fantasmic and have seen it several times, I really look forward to the nights its not playing, makes the evenings there more enjoyable IMO. Anyone else feel this way?

Are the evenings just as crowded as the days and certainly much more crowded than evenings used to be in relation to the rest of the day...is this Fantasmic, parades or people just all stay now?
                  I have had many of the same experiences that you have had. I am afraid that the time of short queues in the evening are over. This is not the only thing that has changed over the years, some changes are good and some bad. I have learned to accept the changes and enjoy whatever the park has in store for me.
                  sigpic

Comment

Fantasmic is a wonderful show. But for me, unlike MSEP and some other things, it seems like "been there, done that". I recently visited the park on a weeknight when F was not scheduled, and took an evening cruise on the Mark Twain. It was really nice!

I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy that in the old days.

For what it is worth.

-- Barry
                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I miss the quiet nights too. That used to be my favorite time in the park. Now I make sure I'm out of there before the madness starts.

Comment

Originally posted by passholder View Post
                        For me, Fantasmic has totally ruined the nighttime experience on the west side of the park -- and ruined the daytime view of the south end of the island.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          For me, Fantasmic has totally ruined the nighttime experience on the west side of the park -- and ruined the daytime view of the south end of the island.
                          Right- F! is a great show, but if it was in its own ampitheater (like DHS), it won't ruin the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            I miss the winter nights when the west side of the park was always cool, dark and often a little foggy. Of course crowds were much lighter and operating hours a few hours longer since 1:00 a.m was pretty much standard closing time on weekends back then. It was nice to be able to get away from all the frantic activity of the other parts of the park (believe or not there was a time when most people would be in Tomorrowland at night) and just hang out by the ROA. You really felt like you were having some sort of wilderness experience.
                            That being said the sheer amount of guests that are entertained every night by Fantasmic,it is no wonder that TDA has been running that show for 15+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                              Fantasmic is a wonderful show. But for me, unlike MSEP and some other things, it seems like "been there, done that". I recently visited the park on a weeknight when F was not scheduled, and took an evening cruise on the Mark Twain. It was really nice!

I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy that in the old days.

For what it is worth.

-- Barry
                              Very true, I sure enjoy the park much more when Fantasmic is dark, but it is a fun show for those who have not seen it (and for many who love it after multiple viewings as well)
                              Me myself, I much prefer the quiet nights and the Mark Twain cruises on the rivers of America under the starlight. Selfishly I am looking forward to a night with no parade, fireworks or Fantasmic. That would be a dream come true for me The cattle herd filled walkways, with the staff using garbage cans and benches positioned to route the flows of walking traffic and one way routings just spoil the magic for me (just my 2 cents)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X