X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wendygirl
    Enjoy the now!
    • Feb 2005

Trip Report Last day of Holiday decorations at Disneyland - photos from 1/4/09

Because my AP was unblocked and yesterday was the final day for all the Holiday decorations I wanted to go and experience it until next November.

My plan was to only focus on Christmas stuff. I figure I could do rides during the "slow" season. So after church I beat it home to change clothes and get to the Park before the traffic and parking became insane. I figured it would be crowded and based on two other threads I'm glad I got there a little after 10:30. The traffic started to back up just over the bridge and all the parking booths were open. It didn't take too long and I ended up on the roof. Coming down the escalator they were loading the trams at the South end, one on each side. A tram on the right had just come in when I got there and there was one seat open. Being as how I was there alone I was able to get on that tram. Bag check was not too bad nor was getting into the park itself. The lines at the ticket booths were unreal.

I am a big fan of the Billy Hill show and so the first thing I did (after checking the Market House for a gingerbread cookie, which they did not have ) was head over to the Golden Horseshoe. I just loved their "Holiday Spectacular" show this year. The show had been going for about 5 minutes and I made my way over to the piano area. I very nice woman invited me to sit at her table. Part way through I went over and got something to eat.

After the show I decided to go and see who might be at a "meet" and this is what I found. I know some names, but not all so I think I'll let you all guess who is here. And I'm sorry I did not get a couple of you in pictures, like Ashee. And Ashee I did tell Bruce hello for you

After promising everyone that my brother (Lost Boy) and I would be at the Mega Meet on Feb. 1 come rain or shine I headed off to get a Fast Pass for Haunted Mansion. Then I went over to NOS to take a few photos of the decorations there. And as reported in an earlier thread, the Christmas Store is gone from the Court of Angels and it looked good.

In this shot things don't look too crowded

but turn to your right and you begin to see some crowd build up. This was around 12:45 PM

The canoes were out

And there was a bit of a traffic jam

I admire how these gals (and guys too) can stand up in these things

Coming up next Santa's Reindeer Round Up.
    sigpic
  • Wendygirl
    Enjoy the now!
    • Feb 2005

Re: Last day of Holiday decorations at Disneyland - photos from 1/4/09

Before my AP was blocked I had been to see everything Holiday except the Big Thunder Ranch area so I knew I had to go there. Even though it looks the same as last year, I just love the way they decorate the place.

On the way over I took this photo and even though it has nothing to do with Christmas, I really liked the way it came out.

Big Thunder Ranch aka Santa's Reindeer Roundup

Santa is probably taking a long well deserved nap but Mrs. Claus was holding down the fort

My last shot of the season of the castle

Love the way the vehicles on Main Street are decorated

I think this horse loves attention. The poor girl had a hard time getting him to move. He was being stubborn!

A look down Main Street around 1:15 PM

A last photo of one of the wreaths

Coming up some shots of the Billy Hill Holiday Spectacular Show at 2:35 PM
    sigpic

Comment

• SplashMoun10
      Picturing the Magic
      • Sep 2006

Billy Hill has a holiday show..hmm..maybe it was a good thing I didn't see and and film it this past trip. I only know that I like the original show; never seen the holiday one

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

Comment

• Wendygirl
        Enjoy the now!
        • Feb 2005

The Billy Hill Holiday Spectacular incorporates many of the elements of their regular show but with a Christmas twist. They sing a lot of familiar Christmas songs but with a hillbilly twist.

This number is "Sleigh Ride" where Billy cracks the "whip" and the lights go out and then he cracks it again and they come on, and so on.

Experimenting with close ups I got this nice banjo shot.

Some Elvis songs included "Blue Christmas"

Their tribute to the Beatles was Christmas music. They would start off the number like a familiar Beatles song but then change it to a Christmas one. I can't remember what these two started off as but they did "Feliz Navidad" like a Beatles song and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer".

Had nothing to do with Christmas but they did "Orange Blossom Special" and the "Train Thang". He was in top form yesterday playing his fiddle like nobodies business. Woo woo:

Next Billy sang "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" and related this to the fact that he had lost his teeth and couldn't play the fiddle. Lo and behold one of his "brothers" gave him a gift

What could it be? Feels like Chicklets

Oh my gosh, it's the teeth!

Now he can play his fiddle

They even sang the Chipmunks Christmas Song. "Gee I want a Hula Hoop":

All spectaculars have to have an ending. In this case it was Puddle Prance

but with a Christmas twist and a poor little pathetic tree that they drop from up above. Dancing 'round the Christmas Tree

The end of Puddle Prance to Nutcracker

Whooo

Let's link arms, play our fiddles and guitar and move into the audience

Oops. Something has gone terribly wrong. You'll never see this in a brochure...

If you think I know the dialog of this show ... you're probably right! )

I also went back and saw the final show at 5:15 but I did not take pictures, I just wanted to enjoy it.

Next up is A Christmas Fantasy parade at 3:30 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Wendygirl
          Enjoy the now!
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SplashMoun10 View Post
          Billy Hill has a holiday show..hmm..maybe it was a good thing I didn't see and and film it this past trip. I only know that I like the original show; never seen the holiday one
          Oh no, it is really, really good. See my description above. I also filmed the entire show back in early December and it was terrific. I would post it to You Tube but my video camera is such that You Tube doesn't support it. Can't remember why. Something to do with its being DVD.
          sigpic

Comment

• Wendygirl
            Enjoy the now!
            • Feb 2005

Now on to the parade. Seeing as how this would be the last Parade to hit Main Street for some time, I really wanted to see it. I went over to the Hub area and of course the streets were packed with people but right on the edge of the Hub itself was a perfect spot looking over the flower beds with no one in front of me. I was able to get some nice close ups.

The beginning

Such a cute bear

and a lovely ballerina

Tin Soldiers

Donald, Daisy, Pluto and the Elves.

Donald and Daisy were so cute

Mrs. Claus was there

Winter Wonderland complete with snowflakes

I have always loved these snow people

Mickey and Minnie love to skate

Gingerbread time!

I just love the wicked stepmother and sisters. It is so fun to watch them on the parade route. I'm going to miss them.

The lovely princesses and their beaus

I did not get a good photo of Belle

Santa's Toyland is next

I love Chip and Dale and their little car. I'll bet they had a ball driving that thing.

Hey, partners

The workshop

Hello Space Rangers

Ah, the dwarfs

Even though the following shot is blurred I liked the fact that I caught one dancer on the right side being lifted up into the air

And finally we have the reindeer

and Santa

After the parade ended the crowds poured into the street

Next up are the final shots at night.
            sigpic

Comment

• Wendygirl
              Enjoy the now!
              • Feb 2005

After the parade I went back to see the last show of the day for Billy Hill and then I went over to the Small World area to see about riding it and watching the parade for the final time. The line for Small World was insane and so that is the one Christmas thing I did not do. But earlier this month I videoed that ride so if I want my Small World Christmas fix I can watch that )

I got a nice spot across from Small World above where the tour guests sit. While there I got to see the Small World light show twice. I recorded one of the shows and may post it to YouTube later. My night shots of the parade only came out so so which is what I expected and why I took so many day time shots.

So pretty

And the time is ...

Now some night shots of the parade

Hello Clara Belle

Here they are again ... those silly girls

I like the lights in the trees from behind Buzz. It makes him look like he's ready to blast off into the stars.

Doc adjusts his glasses

Goodbye parade. See you next year.

Thank you parade performers :clap:

After this I wandered around and then stood in a very long line for one of those famous corn dogs. While it was good, part way through it was a little too much for me. But I'm glad I tried it once.

The last thing on my list was to watch the fireworks and see the lighting and the snow. In spite of the crowds I was able to get to my favorite spot 10 minutes before the show and enjoyed the final show. The weather was perfect with a slight wind blowing the smoke from the fireworks off to the West. Then of course we had the castle lit up and the snow falling and the lights on the tree at the end of Main Street doing their thing. It was, for me, a bittersweet moment. I just love this time of year at the resort and am always sad to see it go but look forward to next season.

I end with the friendly horse and I biding the decorations goodbye.

sigpic

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
                Goofy
                • Jul 2006

great trip report.

Comment

• MickeyMousePal
                  Animation Domination
                  • Apr 2008

nice to meet you yesterday, Wendygirl.
                  Great Trip Report
                  "You are watching FOX"

Comment

• Wendygirl
                    Enjoy the now!
                    • Feb 2005

Here is the video I shot of the light show on Small World

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    sigpic

Comment

• aashee
                      Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                      • Aug 2006

Wonderful Trip Report Wendy! It was nice seeing you and thanks for sending my hearty greetings to BRuce.

Comment

• yellow_sub
                        AP holder 400 miles away
                        • Oct 2008

amazing pics much better than mine from this weekend!

Comment

• Wendygirl
                          Enjoy the now!
                          • Feb 2005

Thanks all. Much of the quality of the pictures has to do with my camera. But I do enjoy taking photos, that's for sure!
                          sigpic

Comment

• SanDiegoAl
                            MiceChatter

• Jan 2007

Wonderful trip report and the pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
                            sigpic

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                              MiceChatter
                              • Feb 2005

Great TR. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• ttrocc7007
                                We Want The Redhead
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Wendygirl View Post
                                After the show I decided to go and see who might be at a "meet" and this is what I found. I know some names, but not all so I think I'll let you all guess who is here.

Hey Wendygirl,
                                I'm the one in the Alaska shirt, and my name is Tom, though Chad tends to call me 'Grandpa.'
                                See ya' next time!
                                (Lovely pics buy the way!)
                                First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                                First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                                BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

• WheresMickey
                                  Looking for Hidden Mickey
                                  • May 2008

Great report!
                                  Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jun 2006

Nice report. Pleasure to meet you.

Comment

• aashee
                                      Skeevy Ray Vaughan
                                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
                                      Hey Wendygirl,
                                      I'm the one in the Alaska shirt, and my name is Tom, though Chad tends to call me 'Grandpa.'
                                      See ya' next time!
                                      (Lovely pics buy the way!)
                                      Good to see you again Tom. Sorry you couldn't bring the Grandkids.

Comment

• Armadillo4
                                        It's a music celebration!
                                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                        • Nov 2006

Wendygirl, thanks for the wonderful trip report and beautiful photos!!! I especially love the pictures from the Billy Hill show. I completely forgot about their holiday show and missed seeing it this year. *smacks forehead* So, thanks for posting those photos!

I also loved seeing your shots of A Christmas Fantasy Parade. That spot in the hub worked out great for the 3:30pm parade!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X