How important are themed vehicles/ride systems?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RegionsBeyond
    Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
    • Feb 2007

[Chat] How important are themed vehicles/ride systems?

Random question, perhaps...but something that fascinates me. How important are themed vehicles to you as part of Disneyland/DCA attractions?

A breakdown of the different types of vehicles in use may be in order:

Attraction vehicles where they are themed fully to attractions: The boats in pirates come to mind, as you are boarding initially a vehicle to take you through a swamp, and they look currently appropriately "weathered". The Peter Pan pirate ships also apply, and of course the Big Thunder trains, and Space Mountain rockets, and Mr. Toad's motorcars, and the Matterhorn bobsleds and submarines for Nemo, the service elevator in Tower of Terror.

Attraction vehicles that are neutral, or merely exist to take you through a attraction without being specific to theme: Haunted Mansion's Doombuggies spring to mind, and the Small World boats...you get the feeling these just exist in order to bring you through the show, and that's about it. I'd also include in this category, Soarin over California. It gets called or at least referenced as a "hang glider" type thing, but it's really just there for riding in, not the look of it.

Attraction vehicles that have theming, but are not specific to what you actually experience: Alice's caterpillars and the wooden carts in Pinocchio and Snow White are the primary examples here. They are themed, but in no way really are neccesary or pivitol to the attraction.

Vehicles that are the attraction solely in and of themselves: And here, I mean rides that primarily are around for the ride itself...no real scenery. This covers a lot of ground....the teacups, Dumbo, the Astro-Orbitor, the bumper cars over in DCA, and I'd argue, California Screamin, which is mostly a unthemed roller coaster.

Your thoughts? How is the balance of all these different types, and is it even important overall? Which kinds do you favor?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....
  • Datameister
    =)
    • Aug 2005

Re: How important are themed vehicles/ride systems?

Ride vehicle choice is very important in a lot of cases. Under normal circumstances, the first and best choice is always going to be one that fits in perfectly as a believable part of the environment. For example, Soarin' works as it is...but imagine if your vehicle felt like a hang glider! The more integrated the vehicle is into the attraction, the more you feel like you're part of it.

But there are other concerns. HM's doom buggies are not perfectly in-theme, but there needs to be a way to direct the guests' views in certain directions, and the Omnimover system is a great people-eater, and they are designed in such a way that they sorta disappear into the environment of the attraction, so it gets a pass.

Peter Pan actually bugs me. Maybe I'm missing something, but...why am I flying in a miniature pirate ship over London? Not that I can think of a better option, since the whole point is that the kids fly without vehicles, and that's not feasible for the attraction...but still, it annoys me a bit?

Comment

• RegionsBeyond
      Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Datameister View Post

Peter Pan actually bugs me. Maybe I'm missing something, but...why am I flying in a miniature pirate ship over London? Not that I can think of a better option, since the whole point is that the kids fly without vehicles, and that's not feasible for the attraction...but still, it annoys me a bit?
      I think what they're going for, and this isn't a perfect fit, since they show it in the attraction at the very end, is the bit with Tinkerbell making the ships fly for the trip back to London. That would be my guess as to the inspiration...but then they go and show that happening at the end. But it's the most likely, given it's very specifically a pirate ship, and Hook's ship is seen flying in the end of the film.
      when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2008

I definitely favor the fully themed vehicles. I love themed vehicles and unique ride systems they're one of my favorite things about Disney rides and something that's often a major focus of my armchair imagineering ideas.
        Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• LLCMC
          The Dudester
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
          Ride vehicle choice is very important in a lot of cases. Under normal circumstances, the first and best choice is always going to be one that fits in perfectly as a believable part of the environment. For example, Soarin' works as it is...but imagine if your vehicle felt like a hang glider! The more integrated the vehicle is into the attraction, the more you feel like you're part of it.

But there are other concerns. HM's doom buggies are not perfectly in-theme, but there needs to be a way to direct the guests' views in certain directions, and the Omnimover system is a great people-eater, and they are designed in such a way that they sorta disappear into the environment of the attraction, so it gets a pass.

Somehow I knew you'd defend the HM vehicles.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think there's anything wrong with the ride vehicles at HM, and in fact I think most of the rides at the resort have appropriately themed (or unthemed) ride units.

We could, of course, get nit-picky... but I'll try not to

Comment

• gamer_christopher
            New MiceChatter
            • Apr 2007

Themed ride vehicles really help when they are transporting you into the story. TOT for example, could you really see Rod Serling saying, "This as you may recognize is a regular ride vehicle" it just doesn't work! When you are in the elevator, you feel as if you have just walked into the story. Otherwise it would be unbelievable. In Mr.Toad, you're supposed to be Mr.Toad so i don't see why you should not be in a motor car, it was his favorite car in the movie. Think about replacing the motor car with just a regular ride car not themed or anything then the story would be a mess.
            sigpic

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
              Mrs. J. Depp
              • Mar 2008

Peter Pan makes sense to have the ship, as that was how the movie ended out. Snow Whites vehicles are not actual carts (though it would make sense to have mine carts as the dwarves worked in a mine) but they are themed after the seven dwarves wooden beds which is why they all have a name on the front. For the most part I think the ride vehicles all fit in appropriately, especially in the dark rides. And as Data said, the doom buggies may be theme-less, but they do pretty much dissapear into the darkness so it almost feels as though there aren't many people around you.

Facebook me!
              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• Peoplemover Priit
                California Estonian
                • Feb 2008

Very interesting. I've never thought of it that way.

Comment

• Vasooki
                  Vasooki-land Owner
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
                  I think what they're going for, and this isn't a perfect fit, since they show it in the attraction at the very end, is the bit with Tinkerbell making the ships fly for the trip back to London. That would be my guess as to the inspiration...but then they go and show that happening at the end. But it's the most likely, given it's very specifically a pirate ship, and Hook's ship is seen flying in the end of the film.
                  Its because they couldnt afford pixie dust after adding the loop to space mountain.

Actually, the vehicles are almost the favorite part of the ride for me. I know some arent that important, like said doombuggies, but I cannot get enough of those picture spots with a vehicle outof its place. I have no idea why but they are just awesome. some people love characters, I love vehicles.

Btw, I think a BTMRR trainwould be great repurposed as a comfy couch.
                  We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

• Bystander
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2007

I would put the Peter Pan pirate ships and the Alice caterpillars in a separate category: vehicles themed to the attraction but not integrated with it.

Comment

• RocknGuitar
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2009

Definitely. Themed cars are totally important. Imagine Indiana Jones without the jeep exterior. Or BTMR as just plain cars. My personal favorite themed car that I've seen is the Journey to the Center of the Earth shovel car-things at DisneySea.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by RocknGuitar View Post
                        Definitely. Themed cars are totally important. Imagine Indiana Jones without the jeep exterior. Or BTMR as just plain cars. My personal favorite themed car that I've seen is the Journey to the Center of the Earth shovel car-things at DisneySea.
                        Those are great aren't they. Very unique ride vehicles.
                        Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• Aladdin
                          Prince Ali
                          • Jan 2005

Nice question. BUT the catepillars do makes sense, as when you go outside during the ride, its the catepillar moving on the leaves.

LOVE the ships on peter pan, and the way the sails are shapped allows you to view certain scenes. I think of the ship going down to where tic toc is about to swallow Hook.

Also, you might say that the Doom Buggies are unthemed, BUT they serve a few different purposes. The black color keeps them hidden from other guests in the same area, and keep them from detracting from the show. The shape of the Doom buggies also help focus you on in the direction of the show, and the size of the vehicle help keep this attraction more intimate, than larger vehicles.

Not sure if you mentioned the cabs in Roger Rabbit, but those add to the show, more than most, but still keep the ride intimate.
                          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• princessbrittany
                            Boy are we in luck!
                            • Jun 2008

The themed ride vehicles are one of many special touches that make DL so unique. Sure, we could hop in a random vehicle and be zoomed through Alice, but how much cooler is it for everybody to feel like they're actually a part of the ride as opposed to an observer? As for HM, the doom buggies do make sense (especially now that you've explained them) but they are a bit more boring than most. Having said that, I mentioned that ride vehicles make you feel like you're part of a ride... in HM you truly are supposed to be just an observer, at least in my opinion.
                            "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney

Comment

• techskip
                              I Break Things
                              • Jun 2007

I believe the goal of a themed vehicle is to support the theme of the given attraction while still being functional and not distracting. I find Screamin and the current Small World to be very distracting. My hope is that someone hires an individual who has a basic sense of color coordination... because a lot of the distraction can be fixed with proper non clashing color combinations.
                              "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• mycroft16
                                I'm not really here
                                • Aug 2006

Just about every ride vehicle is very appropriate to the needs of the ride. There are a few that really aren't that great, and I think I'd agree with tech about which ones.

With the Fantasyland rides (excepting Pinocchio as it was added in 1983), you have to remember that you were playing the part of the films main characters. In Peter Pan, you ARE (or rather were before 1983) Peter. He was flying the Pirate ship between London and Neverland and back. Yes, there are some continuity issues, but most good rides don't stick exactly to a movie plotline because they are different mediums.

The Doombuggies are perfect because they are flat black and kind of disappear into your peripheral vision. They are merely there to "carry you into the mouldering sanctum" and not to be a part of the show in any way. They hid things you shouldn't be looking at and move you through. Their lack of theme is perfect.

Rides like Pooh have cutely themed vehicles that fit in with the cuter more "kid friendly" theme.

I don't prefer themed or un-themed, I prefer what works best for the particular attraction, and the Imagineers have done a wonderful job so far.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• Madame_Leota
                                  Awaken the spirits
                                  • Mar 2007

I like the ride vehicles the way they are. Can you imagine the Jungle Cruise without the signature boat, or any of the Fantasyland rides with plain ol' regular cars? I don't think it would work as well as it does. Even if the theming of the ride vehicles has nothing to do with the ride, like Splash Mountain (why are we in a log? Did I miss the lumberjack scene? Is it just to make fun of the term 'log-flume'?) or Buzz Lightyear, I think if the vehicle wasn't themed it would look out of place and boring.

As for the un-themed vehicles, I think the Haunted Mansion 'Doom Buggies' really work well. As everyone else already said, the omnimover system is a great way to get people to move through the ride quickly. At the same time, I think if the rest of the loading area is so well themed that if the vehicles WEREN'T plain, it would take away from everything else. That's the cool thing about Haunted Mansion - the show really starts the moment you step foot into that mansion. It starts much BEFORE you sit down on the ride vehicle. Everything is so well-themed before you get to the ride vehicles and you don't want the ride vehicles to distract from that. I don't know about you, but if I was walking through that mansion, turned the corner and saw.... tacky hearses or something all in a row, it would look kind of cheesey to me. Also, the dark, always-moving omnimover (lol redundancy) moving you into the darkness still seems kind of eerie. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I was scared of those thing when I was a child. lol

And no, I'm not saying that the rest of the theming should overpower the ride vehicles. I just think that Haunted Mansion has a really good balance the way it is. Indiana Jones, for example, is well themed up to the loading dock, yet it also needs the theming of the ride vehicles to pull it all together. For the Haunted Mansion, I think the plain, dark omnimovers should be overshadowed by everything else. I just don't think there should be too much attention put on them.

As for Small World, I dunno. The lack of themed vehicles never bothered me. I wouldn't want to see the same kind of boat on, say, the Jungle Cruise, but it doesn't really bother me on Small World. But what else could they really do for those vehicles? Maybe they could paint them so they blend in a little more. They're bright green, aren't they? It's been a while since I've been in the park so I could be wrong. But yeah, I don't think the lack of theming there is a big deal.

Comment

• Outlander
                                    Cursed with nostalgia...
                                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Madame_Leota View Post
                                    As for Small World, I dunno. The lack of themed vehicles never bothered me. I wouldn't want to see the same kind of boat on, say, the Jungle Cruise, but it doesn't really bother me on Small World. But what else could they really do for those vehicles? Maybe they could paint them so they blend in a little more. They're bright green, aren't they? It's been a while since I've been in the park so I could be wrong. But yeah, I don't think the lack of theming there is a big deal.
                                    They're actually ridiculously bright, plasticy primary colors now. Red, Blue, and an off green color, I believe. Which is what I think techskip was referring to earlier about distracting color coordinations.

Comment

• Madame_Leota
                                      Awaken the spirits
                                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                                      They're actually ridiculously bright, plasticy primary colors now. Red, Blue, and an off green color, I believe. Which is what I think techskip was referring to earlier about distracting color coordinations.
                                      Oh. So, I was wrong. lol
                                      That sounds bad. I think themed ride vehicles are cute, but they shouldn't distract from anything else. I think the Small World boats should be painted a reasonable color.

Comment

• henryt93
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Outlander View Post

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X