• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark
    MC Blogger
    • Jan 2005

Trip Report DLR Trip Report and DCA Ananysis

Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, the new Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through, the piranha attack on the Jungle Cruise, and lastly, the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

---------------------------

(This is five pages plus pics... I'll post more here, but if you want to read the whole thing now, go to my Insights blog.)
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com
  • mark
    MC Blogger
    • Jan 2005

Re: DLR Trip Report and DCA Analysis

You can now find this on my MiceChat blog...
    Mark

Comment

• The Dark Lady
      Practically Magic
      • Jul 2006

Re: DLR Trip Report and DCA Ananysis

I love the word "ananysis." Saying it out loud makes me feel happy.

Comment

• CelestialImperium
        Destroyer of Mallcore
        • May 2007

Originally posted by The Dark Lady View Post
        I love the word "ananysis." Saying it out loud makes me feel happy.
        It makes me happy in the pants

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Comment

• mark
          MC Blogger
          • Jan 2005

Makes me happy, too- when I post so early in the morning without my coffee!
          Mark

Comment

• mark
            MC Blogger
            • Jan 2005

So Coheteboy, what is your opinion about what I posted?
            Mark

Comment

• Coheteboy
              Starcruiser.. crash crash
              MiceChat Moderator
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mark View Post
              So Coheteboy, what is your opinion about what I posted?

You want my opinion about your introduction?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• mark
                MC Blogger
                • Jan 2005

Yep- Sure!
                Mark

Comment

• mark
                  MC Blogger
                  • Jan 2005

DCA Report and AnaLysis (Part 2)

We settled on visiting the park on December 30, thinking most locals would be back to work and many visitors gone. Not perfect but our best shot at the lightest crowds. Calling Disney Dining thirty days out to reserve a lunch reservation for Blue Bayou, I was surprised that the cast member answered my ringing call by saying "Hello, You probably want the Blue Bayou- and it is fully sold out!" My shocked response was "Yes- can you offer anything else?" After verifying my request, date and time, his reply informed me that in his estimation, that restaurant was full but over-rated, and
                  We had our own list of must dos for the park: , and the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail- all items one or both of us had not experienced.

An exhilarating flight and Fastpasses in hand for later, we were off to Toy Story Midway Mania. Passing the fully drained bay, we were amazed at how ordinary and ugly the entire area was without water. This was the price to play for poorly conceiving and building a park without a nighttime water show already in place. Arriving at the entry to this new-fangled shooting gallery, the line was now a posted 45 minute wait. We settled in, taking in the wealth of detail around us.

Our local sideshow barker, a Mr. Potato Head, was witty and fully functional. Very impressive. Reading each poster for Midway Mania, I gleaned as many facts and hints as possible. Boarding the attraction vehicle in anticipation of the first ride of a new Disney attraction is always an exciting event for me. What would this be like? Would I enjoy it? Could Disney dazzle me after all these years?

How can I describe Toy Story Midway Mania? In one word: disappointing.

After all the hype, the on-line photos and trip reports, I found myself having an enjoyable time but not being astonished by the end result. Traveling in front of a bunch of screens with a minimum amount of props and set pieces is not my idea of a world class attraction.

Midway Mania is a nice "C" ticket attraction, housed in a "D" ticket building, found in an "E" ticket location. Admittedly, this new attraction was what needed to be present in the Pier moving forward. Midway Mania is a step in the right direction but not worthy of the attention it has received.

------------------------------
                  (Couldn't resist correcting Ananysis!)
                  Mark

Comment

• mark
                    MC Blogger
                    • Jan 2005

Re: DCA Report and AnaLysis (Part 2)

^^ Huh?
                    Mark

Comment

• mark
                      MC Blogger
                      • Jan 2005

Re: DLR Trip Report and DCA Analysis Part 3

Next part-----!!!

Time for some good old-fashioned fun. That meant , one of the best coasters on the Disney property if not on the West Coast. The crowds had built by this time, and we encountered another lengthy wait. Once we boarded, the music kicked in, building the anticipation for another terrific ride. Certainly not the tallest or fastest or the most technologically impressive, succeeds because it puts fun before fear. The launch gets the heart racing, and the drops keep it going without creating paranoia about what will happen next. A themeless queue is its only shortcoming, and that may get fixed one day, but for now, this attractions rocks with the best of them even without it. We left with huge smiles on our faces. What more can you ask for?

As we realized AladdinHunger hit us, and a stop at Taste PilotsTwilight Zone Tower of Terror is my main reason for visiting the underwhelming Disney Studios. At California Adventure, this attraction is a main draw but a second class version of the original. The set-up lacks the mystery of its older sibling. The inside of the hotel is too bright and cheery, and the lack of forward movement makes for an extremely short ride without the necessary emotional build up for the drops. Still fun and still first class for California Adventure, but still just good enough.

In some ways, "good enough" seems to be the mantra for this park- at least in its current incarnation. There are very appealing aspects, but they seem to be individual parts instead of a complete and compelling whole. The park lacks soul and heart, something the Imagineers hope to bring after an almost billion dollar laundry list of improvements. I hope they accomplish their mission.

Following our brief haunted hotel tour, we dropped into an undiscovered gem in this small park: Turtle Talk with Crush. The Animation Building was an early DCA hit for good reason. The variety of attractions inside are only strengthened by the presence of this presentation. Crush delighted us, adults and children alike. The concept is simple but the technology amazing. Loved it at Epcot. Just as much fun at California Adventure. This attraction is truly under advertised and overlooked by a majority of the crowd. Crush is a clear home run- and we left with another smile left on our faces.

Crossing back to another side of the park, we took in the Blue Sky Cellar, while the crowds were thick and people getting impatient around us. It was a 5-star presentation, leaving me filled with hope that the park will eventually end up one California fans can be proud of. Phase One does seem heavy on adding characters, but this is just the start of a fresh beginning.
                      Mark

Comment

• mark
                        MC Blogger
                        • Jan 2005

The afternoon was slowly changing into evening, and we had forgotten about Grizzly Rapids. It would certainly be less advantageous to an all day excursion at the park to be left wet for the rest of the day. We chose to ride anyway, and the queue was surprisingly full.

This choice yielded some unexpected benefits- time to take in the detailed queue, great photo opportunities, being immersed in the beautiful forest atmosphere- and getting partnered with a fun-loving family from the United Kingdom once it was our time to board.

While I firmly believe Disney settled for the expected and fairly cheap circular rafts instead of letting research and development come up with a true rafting experience, the ride is undeniably enjoyable. Would I like animatronics? You bet I would (and I hope they are added one day)! But overall, this is still a winner. (Animal Kingdom’s Kali River Rapids only dreams of being this good!) The views of the surrounding area are great, and the environment is rich. The spinning drop was not in operation, but that may have saved us. Our friendly Brits were absolutely soaked while we had a few splashes, nothing more.

We were left in good and dry shape to continue to the Challenge Trail. This was a new experience for both of us. The lower levels seemed fairly ordinary, and in the past, this had kept us from continuing on. This time, we did- much to our delight. The sun was now going down, providing a beautiful backdrop to our evening photos. The park ranger stations and theme transported us to another place. This was surprising as California Adventure has been rightly criticized for not doing this well. Feeling far away from the crowds of Southern California, it was awhile before I realized the best views of the area and the majestic mountain came from the rooms of the resort behind me. Conclude what you will about the designer’s motives in this being so.

By this point, the park’s crowds were thinning, making for a fairly short wait on another underrated attraction: Monsters Inc. This great ride with the strange facade holds up well visit after visit, earning the place of my favorite dark ride after Peter Pan Flight. Even though remnants of the odd Superstar Limo can be found, this ride has it all: detailed sets, a clear story (even if our on vehicle television screens didn’t work- poor show!) and endearing characters. How can you not love Sulley and Boo?

Surprisingly, I enjoyed our next stop more than I thought- Muppetvision 3D. The visuals were crisp, the theater looked brand new, and Kermit was as engaging as ever. Too bad the Muppets are past their prime. I’d bet that it is soon to go, however, as the show was a walk-on and our theater was almost empty.

Last of our pre-Screamin’ trio was the park’s other 3D experience. It’s Tough to Be a Bug was enjoyable as well, with another near empty theater. Let’s get real here: 3D attractions age quickly, and it is a poor choice of Michael Eisner’s to have this attraction housed in the centerpiece of the amazing Animal Kingdom theme park. Yet another example of a "C" ticket attraction found at an "E"ticket location.

It was now time for a newer tradition. Screamin’ left us breathless with laughter! Having been blessed with the front row, my daughter and I were delighted by the dark skyline and lit up park as we zoomed by. With the ugly Anaheim Convention Center and backstage areas more difficult to see, this attraction takes on a whole new feeling during the evening. Paradise Pier finally sparkles, taking on new life and energy. Buildings in the Golden State transform with an elegance unseen during the day. Disney’s lighting experts have reason to be proud of there work here.

After a disappointing ride on Mulholland Madness, (can we please just get rid of this embarrassment?), there were a few attractions left for us to experience. We wandered through Condor Flats, again stunning at night, and journeyed into A Bug’s Land to complete our rides for the day. Heimlich’s train was short but sweet, and Flik’s Flyers a little more thrilling than expected. The area was deserted except for a few other families, making for some great photos and walk on attractions. Heading toward the entrance area to view the Electrical Parade, we’d had a full but overall satisfying day.

Disney’s California Adventure is evolving, and mostly toward a better park than at opening. (Like the photo below says, Start Over!) There was Disney magic to be found. Recent changes have brought a mixed bag of unexpected successes and minor failures. Mistakes like removing the Eureka parade are balanced by some wonderful additions. There is still not much variety between thrills and films, with a low amount of attractions the whole family can enjoy together. Daytime clearly reveals the park's weaknesses and much of that involves outside diversions and the framework of Paradise Pier. Yet, the plans look promising to change some of California Adventure's harsher realities, even if it does involve many character additions. Our thoughts? We will be returning in 2012 when the amazing proposed changes are now realities in concrete.

Walt's original park was our destination for tomorrow- and we had to get some sleep.

Mark

Comment

• Coheteboy
                          MiceChat Moderator
                          • Sep 2005

Agree with most of your ananysises (lol) about the DCA attraction lineup... probably with the exception of Monsters Inc. Maybe it's the exterior. Maybe it's the slow bulky vehicles. Or maybe it's all. it's definitely a bottom tier dark ride on my list.

Comment

• mark
                            MC Blogger
                            • Jan 2005

I do think the exterior is really ugly- but the queue inside is full of details.
                            Mark

Comment

• Coheteboy
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mark View Post
                              I do think the exterior is really ugly- but the queue inside is full of details.
                              There are details, but I think that all the dark rides are full of detail. I think that the ride vehicle and track layout just make this less exciting than the others.

Pooh and Monsters Inc sluggishly travel through their show buildings... and at the speed, I don't think there's ENOUGH detail... if you know what I mean. Moving mouth animatronics would make a world of difference.

Comment

• Datameister
                                =)
                                • Aug 2005

Monsters Inc. is not the worst thing in the world, IMO. Given that it had to be built on a rather low budget around a not-too-great framework laid by a much poorer dark ride, I'm quite happy with it. Moving mouths would indeed make a huge difference, but all in all, I think it's a pretty decent dark ride. It's not Pooh or anything.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                                  We all need a Jiminy.
                                  • Apr 2005

I think that Monsters Inc is a great attraction in a very ugly, badly themed facade. It also is in a bad location for the type of attraction it is. At Disneyland all the small children, dark rides are close together. It makes for a better family experience since they don't have to walk that far to the next ride.

Monsters is a great Children's ride, but is not near other similar attractions in a culdesac, preventing any flow of traffic. That was a badly conceived of location that from the beginning.

Instead of an exterior that presents a period of time such as the exterior of POTC, it is a giant billboard. Imagine if POTC was just a giant billlboard of pirate pictures!! I know that Monsters is carrying the theme of the original movie credits into the ride, but guest don't care about that. What is so magically about movie credits? It would have cost more money but trying have been a better attraction to reproduce the Monsters world that is presented in the movie. That would have made the pre-show and ride itself true Disney quality.

Comment

• mark
                                    MC Blogger
                                    • Jan 2005

^^ Totally agree!
                                    Mark

Comment

• mark
                                      MC Blogger
                                      • Jan 2005

Lost trip report - Disneyland Christmas 2008

(Onward... don't know where Part 1 went!)
                                      ----------------------------------------------------

Snaking through the exterior queue (pun intended), we enjoyed the experience. The sound effects were on, Jungle Cruise boats chugging by, the vegetation lushly providing the right vibe: our first time explorers and old timers alike were wide-eyed. Inside the temple, I was gifted by rattling the infamous bamboo pole at just the right time, sending the ceiling dropping down on us. Never happened to me before although I’d seen it occur. Great way to start our adventure.

Once on our “troop transport”, our journey was exciting but I realized several effects needed to be brought back into the mix. Why does Disney spend all this money to build a world class attraction then neglect it instead of maintaining it in the highest operating mode? Frustrating. Our adventure was terrific to all- and only the most discriminating Disney fan was left realizing the shortcomings. (We gladly experienced the attraction later- to the seemingly same journey…)

Our plan was firmly in my mind, and we ventured on to Pirates of the Caribbean, my personal favorite Disney attraction ever. Almost a walk on, we set sail, and visions of a non-existent $250 lunch swam through my head as we glided past the Blue Bayou restaurant.

As has been written much before, Pirates at Disneyland is a much richer version than its Florida counterpart. The attraction looked terrific- and sounded terrific as well. However, the recent addition of characters from the popular movie seemed to widen the gap between versions. The California build-up to seeing Davy Jones is much needed, and the more intimate last view of Captain Jack is up close and personal. Additionally, the audio in Florida is noticeably inconsistent and weaker in result. For all the accolades I could heap upon California’s pirate adventure, I will proudly admit Disneyland Paris has the ultimate representation of this classic. (Look for my trip report earlier in my blog.) It is a version that is currently without Jack Sparrow…

We wandered past the train station to the Christmas version of the Haunted Mansion. It too, was almost a walk on. I was the only one of our group to experience this version in the past and quickly explained the story behind the transformation before we entered.
                                      Mark

Comment

• mark
                                        MC Blogger
                                        • Jan 2005

Creepy and delightful! My wife said it best upon our exit- “That was like a whole different attraction! I can’t believe Disney would take the time and expense to redo this for just a few months of the year!” I’ll say she hit the nail on the head. When Disney does it well, it stands high above its competitors in providing breathtaking experiences- and the management in California really knows how to please its audience and keep them returning all year round. (We’ll be seeing the new and improved Huanted Mansion in its original version in Florida in a month. Can’t wait. Watch for a future trip report.)

The compactness of Disneyland is a mixed blessing. Just around the (river)bend was Splash Mountain, our next destination. Yet because of it, the transition between the mansion and Critter Country is jarring, despite all attempts to ease us from one place to another. (In this man’s opinion, it is another area where Disneyland Paris excels. Each land feels so separate and distant from the others, a unique combination of enough land and excellent planning on the Imagineers part. Every Disney geek needs to see this park once to believe its beauty!) On the positive side, the smaller space demands creativity in planning expansion and gives “Walt’s park” an intimacy lacking in the other Kingdoms. Aspects such as landscaping take on a new importance, as tree and building placement becomes necessary tools to define and inhibit sightlines. (Something not well used or maybe even considered when designing California Adventure! There is hope this will change.)

Rounding the path into Critter Country was as if we journeyed outside the city to enter a whole new place. Even when it was Bear Country back in 1972, this area of the park has always enjoyed a unique feel. It is a beautiful segment of the park, providing a respite from wide open spaces and large crowds. There is nothing like it in Florida’s Magic Kingdom- and they are left worse off because of it. The restaurant on the river provides an additional retreat from the energy and pretty good food to boot. That said, let’s be honest here- Disney management made a huge mistake by ripping out all of the classic Country Bear Jamboree to put in a silly old bear. Don’t misunderstand. Pooh needs a place, and this area of the park needs a dark ride to delight the younger visitors. I just think one theater should have been spared, forcing a more creative use of the space to add a journey in honey pots- and satisfying the need for a little more history to exist in the park.

This small land was wonderfully and tastefully decked out in its Christmas best. We ventured under the Christmas tree hanging at the entrance to walk through Splash’s queue. Combining the funny little story, thrills, and fun, Splash Mountain reinforces why Tony Baxter is one of my most appreciated Imagineers. Our group left the attraction in various degrees of wet to drenched, both enjoying and thankful for the warm bright California sun. As we cruised back to Indy for a second ride, we took in the views. For the most part, Disneyland has aged well, (Tomorrowland being the sorry exception).
                                        Mark

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X