This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] What Have Been the Best Violations of Theme

I am wondering what are the best attractions that are in violation of the theme of the Land or Park where they reside. This requires two points of subjectivity - it is a good attraction and is it in violation of theme.

For example, POC is IMO a great attraction, but I don't see the relevance to NOS. I know Lafitte was a pirate, but his version of piracy doesn't really mesh with the version presented in the attraction. Also, New Orleans doesn't really scream piracy to me (which could be my own ignorance). There was much debate on this attraction in a Pirates Lair thread. So, I know that the waterfalls represent portals that transport you in time and space. However since I need a portal to transport me somewhere else, I would argue that means the attraction doesn't meet the theme of the land. That being said I like POC just where it is, and think it's brilliant. I'm sure people would disagree with me on this example, but hopefully it illustrates the question.

What I'm trying to get an idea of is are there exceptions where the quality of the attraction somehow trumped theme (or if it is even possible).

Re: What Have Been the Best Violations of Theme

I'd say Fantasmic! is a good violation of theme. It's just a big Fantasyland type show on the Rivers of America. And despite it's non-western show premise, I enjoy it quite a bit and know that many others do too.

Other than that, I think it's hard to find a GOOD violation of theme anywhere else, as Fantasmic only comes out at night and when the shows are running. Attractions are constant violations of theme.

As for Pirates, New Orleans was a port for many pirates, so I can see the ties.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I think the Disneyland Monorail falls under this category since it travels through Fantasyland.

Comment

I'm going with Nemo. I find the "Talking to fish" to be a way to crowbar something not futuristic at all into an area that's in need of theme in a bad way.

But, tomorrowland needed that ride too.
        Last edited by aashee; 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The fact that you look down a turn-of-the-century town's main street and see ... a beautiful fairy tale castle.
          "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

Is Matterhorn still considered a part of Fantasyland? If so that's my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Semiquaver View Post
              The fact that you look down a turn-of-the-century town's main street and see ... a beautiful fairy tale castle.
              Main Street ends at the curb. The Castle is in Fantasyland.

Comment

A futuristic monorail going around a swiss mountain in front of fairy-tale caterpillar ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                  I still think this should count as it's visually connected to Mainstreet even if it's not officially in Main Street the land. So if MS ends at the curb is the Plaza Gardens in Fantasy L, Frontier L or MS?
                  The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                  -Walt Disney

Comment

The DDR machine and TVs that were up in Frontierland...thank God that was temporary(for Miley Cyrus' birthday party).
                    Considering those were "attractions" for the party >_<

http://skeletonstockings.deviantart.com/

Comment

Both the Matterhorn AND It's A Small World were considered Tomorrowland at one point in their lives. Both are now Fantasyland.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Best violation of theme? Pirates for me. There are many others that break theme in more flagrant ways, but not in a way that's beneficial to the park. I usually don't mess with Pirates because the quality level is insanely high, the transition from New Orleans to the Caribbean is well executed, and the two worlds are not so insanely different as, say, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Comment

Restrooms in Frontierland ...Outhouse anyone?

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                            Good point, but you can still see the castle VERY clearly from Main Street.

Comment

Regardless of where the castle technically sits - I agree that it's part of Fantasyland - there's no denying that it was a very intentional part of the design of Main Street, as well. Which does make it a thematic violation that works.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X