How often does DLR celebrate ride anniversaries?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shirleyfilms
    MiceChatter
    • Sep 2006

[Question] How often does DLR celebrate ride anniversaries?

What I mean is...

Indy just had its 10th birthday. Will they have another event for its 15th? Or wait till the 20th? Or 25th?

What about newer rides? Will they have an anniversary celebration for the 5th anniversary of Toy Story Mania?

What about Space Mountain and other rides that are themed in such a way that they aren't really conducive to a merchandise event?

Just curious. Thanks.
  • OldSchoolMickey
    MiceChatter
    • Sep 2008

Re: How often does DLR celebrate ride anniversaries?

I guess it would depend on the popularity of the ride. Five year intervals seem the norm.

I would imagine that if they figured it would bring in more revenue (gate entry's and/or merchandise sales) they'll promote whatever they have the opportunity to.

As an example, I don't recall an anniversary celebration for Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. But maybe I missed it???

Comment

• MrPotatoHead
      Aspiring Imagineer
      • Aug 2008

Answer: If they do, its going to be a big event!

Haunted Mansion is 40 this year and it is having a merchandise event. Same thing happened to the Mansion on its 30th anniversaries.
      Disneyland - Since 1995
      Walt Disney World - 2010
      Tokyo Disneyland - 2015
      Hong Kong Disneyland - 2015
      Disneyland Paris - ????

Comment

• stitchon
        Banned User
        • Sep 2006

I personally believe that Matterhorn deserves a celebration, if not purely for the technological aspect of it. It changed the face of rollercoasters forever! It deserves something to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Maybe new logos on the front of the bobsleds with the Matterhorn painted in Gold and Maroon? Anything is better than nothing.

Comment

• Dr. G
          Distant Disneylandaholic
          • May 2005

I wish they'd have a celebration of some sort for Splash Mountain's 20th this year, but I'm afraid it's going to be overshadowed by the Mansion's 40th. I'd love some decent merchandise with the Brer characters on it.

Comment

• WOKcreative
            Lackey
            • Feb 2008

We were talking about this the other day. Some have been on a 35th which seems a little odd (making it seem mostly like a marketing thing). Why celebrate HM's 40th when there is such a huge 50th for Matterhorn, Subs, and Monorail - all at the same time? They should at least have Something done for them.
            sigpic

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
            Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

Comment

• JFSebastian
              Storyteller
              • May 2008

Didn't Indy open in '95? So next year they may have a 15th anniversary promotion or something. It's great that three major rides are celebrating anniversaries this year, that should be exciting.

Comment

• Legacy
                Keep Moving Forward
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
                As an example, I don't recall an anniversary celebration for Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. But maybe I missed it???
                Roger Rabbit is popular, but I wouldn't consider it to be a huge E-Ticket whose anniversary is worth celebrating.
                Originally posted by WOKcreative View Post
                We were talking about this the other day. Some have been on a 35th which seems a little odd (making it seem mostly like a marketing thing). Why celebrate HM's 40th when there is such a huge 50th for Matterhorn, Subs, and Monorail - all at the same time? They should at least have Something done for them.
                That is a bit strange, especially since the simultaneous opening of those three attractions also represented the introduction of the "E-Ticket" term. My guess is that the Haunted Mansion embraces a higher level of storytelling than any of these three, and hence has become incredibly iconic throughout all of the Disney Parks, not just Disneyland. The subs and the Matterhorn only exist in Disneyland (although I'm aware that the subs did exist in Florida for a while) and the monorail, though iconic, isn't quite as iconic in my opinion.

Still, 50 is a bigger celebration than 40. What's going on here?

Originally posted by Dr. G View Post
                I wish they'd have a celebration of some sort for Splash Mountain's 20th this year, but I'm afraid it's going to be overshadowed by the Mansion's 40th. I'd love some decent merchandise with the Brer characters on it.
                I would absolutely LOVE this. But Mansion deserves to get the celebration.
                Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
                Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

Comment

• Sydney-the-Pooh
                  Hello!!!!!
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by stitchon View Post
                  I personally believe that Matterhorn deserves a celebration, if not purely for the technological aspect of it. It changed the face of rollercoasters forever! It deserves something to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Maybe new logos on the front of the bobsleds with the Matterhorn painted in Gold and Maroon? Anything is better than nothing.
                  U R SOOOOO RIGHT. I READ ON YESTRLAND THAT THIS JUNE THE MATTERHORN WILL B 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE THEY COULD PUT A BDAY HAT ON HAROLD!:thumbup: I MIGHT GO IN JUNE 4 MY BDAY!!!!!! I SHARE THE SAME BDAY MONTH WITH MY FAV RIDE!!!!! TOY STORY MANIA OPENED ON MY BDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Sydney-the-Pooh
                    Hello!!!!!
                    • Jan 2009

I FOUND THIS, IT IS THE NEW BOBSLEDS. {SORRY, OFF TOPIC}
                    url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gWaBTlqc4"] Sorry if the link doesn't work.

Comment

• Vasooki
                      Vasooki-land Owner
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jfsebastian View Post
                      Didn't Indy open in '95? So next year they may have a 15th anniversary promotion or something. It's great that three major rides are celebrating anniversaries this year, that should be exciting.
                      Speaking of which, Indy opened exactly 8 months before I was born.

I think all rides should have some sort of birthday celebration, because in one way or another they brought something new and exciting to the resort.

Its also highly unlikely that the subs will celebrat their 50th, because they were on hiatus for so long, and Disney is pushing Nemo as a new attraction, not a refurbished one. (At least for the most part)
                      We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

• OldSchoolMickey
                        MiceChatter
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                        Roger Rabbit is popular, but I wouldn't consider it to be a huge E-Ticket whose anniversary is worth celebrating.

I agree. That was my point.

DL can't have anniversary's for every ride in the Park.

Unless, of course, they found a way to make more money from them...

Comment

• Dlandclub33
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Sydney-the-Pooh View Post
                          U R SOOOOO RIGHT. I READ ON YESTRLAND THAT THIS JUNE THE MATTERHORN WILL B 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE THEY COULD PUT A BDAY HAT ON HAROLD!:thumbup: I MIGHT GO IN JUNE 4 MY BDAY!!!!!! I SHARE THE SAME BDAY MONTH WITH MY FAV RIDE!!!!! TOY STORY MANIA OPENED ON MY BDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and my brother ans sisters B-day is on that day too!

Comment

• joEticket
                            • Jan 2006

IIRC on Space Mountain's 30th Anniversary there was a cast member at the exit near Document Control handing out 30th Anniversary buttons for free. The artwork is very similar to the most recent Space Mountain Spinner Pin (release '05). There were two other items that were available for purchase. The first was a commemorative pin limited to 1000 and the second was an incredibly nice wristwatch limited to 30 and it includes a signed print. The artwork used for the watch/print is awesome. So even though Space Mountain didn't have an official merchandise even (I probably would have been the only person in attendance), Disney put a few nice things out. I wish they would have used that artwork on a tee-shirt.

As far as I know, there won't be any major merchandise events for the Monorail, Matterhorn or Splash Mountain but that doesn't mean there won't be merchandise available to commemorate the anniversaries. There will be plenty in the way of pins for these attractions. I remember hearing about a jumbo pin celebrating Splash, Matterhorn and Thunder. Here is a preview of a monorail pin that will be released later this year:

Comment

• Aladdin
                              Prince Ali
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
                              Haunted Mansion is 40 this year and it is having a merchandise event. Same thing happened to the Mansion on its 30th anniversaries.
                              HM is having THREE merchandise events, plus it's the major theme for this coming summer's pin program.

Originally posted by stitchon View Post
                              I agree, The Matterhorn at 50 deserves a special event! At least Special merchandise for it's 50th. In the year of a Bazillion Celebrations, and "What Will You Celebrate", the Matterhorn is getting shortchanged for it's golden birthday!

AND Splash turns 20 this year, AND Big Thunder turns 30 this year.

Originally posted by Dr. G View Post
                              Yeah, I'm surprised they have done squat, for any special event for Splash Mt. As much at I love Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and the Tiki Room - Give the Events Some VARIETY!!!!!

Originally posted by shirleyfilms View Post
                              What I mean is...

Indy just had its 10th birthday. Will they have another event for its 15th? Or wait till the 20th? Or 25th?

What about newer rides? Will they have an anniversary celebration for the 5th anniversary of Toy Story Mania?

What about Space Mountain and other rides that are themed in such a way that they aren't really conducive to a merchandise event?

Just curious. Thanks.
                              No, there is no special schedule on what is celebrated. They just try to focus on whatever they think they can make money on. And special events is just to scared to try and think up something too different, than what they have done before. And if they have messed up with something in a past event, they seem almost set in making the same mistake again, sometime in the future.

They only thing you can really count on is some sort of pin being released for anniversaries. And if you want something else, your just pressing your luck.
                              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• disneyfann121
                                Banned User
                                • Mar 2008

Last year was the 40th anniversary of POTC, one of the all time classics, and all they did was release a commemorative popcorn bucket (which I'm proud to own). Aside from that, I suppose there was a special pin, but I didn't see anything else offered when we visited DL last May. Hopefully they'll at least release something like that for the other anniversaries coming up.
                                Last edited by disneyfann121; 01-31-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Hank Hill
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Apr 2006

Wow I can't believe Splash is 20 already. The years indeed do fly by fast.

Comment

• OldSchoolMickey
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Sep 2008

^^^^^

Yeah, I remember watching it being built.

20 years? Yikes!

Comment

• DisneyKid1994
                                      (Not a) New User
                                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by shirleyfilms View Post
                                      Indy just had its 10th birthday. Just curious. Thanks.
                                      I believe Indy's 10th b-day was a while back, in '05 wasn't it?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                                        Iron-Clad Allie
                                        • Feb 2005

The only consistant factor about the anniversary celebrations is that they all occur in crements of five or ten years.
                                        To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X