Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Whatever happened to the Pancake Races?

I just read an article about the Pancake Races the first of which was held at Disneyland in 1957. Here's a brief description.

One of the many fun events held at Disneyland over the years was the annual Aunt Jemima Pancake race down Main Street. The race featured housewives running down Main Street while wearing a house dress and apron all the time flipping a pancake. The races were held in several cities throughout the United States. Disneyland was the site of the California finals to see who would go on to the Nationals. The photographs are from the 3rd Annual race which was held in 1961.
    Why doesn't Disneyland have this event (or similar events to it) these days?
    sigpic

Re: Whatever happened to the Pancake Races?

Some pictures of the event for your enjoyment as well.
    sigpic

Comment

after 1961 aunt jemima didnt have the restaurant in the park anymore... the area where it was was being turned into NOS.

Alot of the events at the park ended after the sponsors stopped sponsoring the location in the park... like the Dog shows they used to have.
      Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Comment

Did you see those crowds in the streets then? If they tried to do it now you'd have to have tiered seating.

Comment

o_O That is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
          HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
          ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
          FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

That's cool!

I guess they just don't do it anymore since Aunt Jemima isn't present in the parks anymore.
            ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Comment

That's hilarious!

Look at the bystanders. No one in shorts or wife-beaters!

1961. Ahhh, the memories...

Comment

Nothing like Flapping Jacks, down Main Street!
                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Nice research huh..Good job...lol
                  Music is my LIFE!!!

Comment

Wow, that's neat but bizarre. But it's probably not considered politically correct anymore, and some activists might protest that particular event.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
                      Wow, that's neat but bizarre. But it's probably not considered politically correct anymore, and some activists might protest that particular event.
                      What "activists" might that be? The Anti-Pancake Defamation League? The National Association for the Advancement of Housewives? Or the Maple Syrup Defense Coalition? :lol:

Who on earth would find offense at this event? I suppose there's a few househusbands now who would like to take part, and they could be included. Perhaps have a Mens and a Womens division to make it fair?

I just bought some Aunt Jemima syrup this weekend for pancakes. If they were still a park sponsor I imagine this would still be a fun springtime event.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
                        That's hilarious!

Look at the bystanders. No one in shorts or wife-beaters!

1961. Ahhh, the memories...
                        I have a photo of my mother at the park circa 1957 and she's wearing short-shorts with about a 2" inseam! (Luckily, she had the legs for it.)

Towns in England still have this. And, I suspect, town right here in the gold old USA!

Comment

Originally posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post

Are we really in a world where people get offended by woman wearing house dresses?

Comment

I was just thinking about this recentky after eating at the Riverbelle Terrace. That is near (or in the same building as) the Pancake House, is it not?

How Aunt Jemima is Policitally Incorrect is beyond me, but so is how Song of the South is un-PC, so who knows...
                            ~The darkness must go
                            Down the river of night's dreaming
                            Flow morphia slow
                            Let the sun and light come streaming
                            Into my life, into my life~

Comment

Originally posted by Noctourne View Post
                              How Aunt Jemima is Policitally Incorrect is beyond me, but so is how Song of the South is un-PC, so who knows...

I miss Sambo's too...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X