This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland: Toddler hell - Paradise Post, 9/16/05

FYI, since this is an opinion piece, and not "news", I decided to post it in the DLR section for discussion....

http://www.paradisepost.com/Stories/...057877,00.html

Snow White was just too scary, and Mr. Toad left my little girls shaking in their click shoes.

Pinocchio reduced my daughters to a sloppy pile of tears.

It was a summer of fright, capped off with a visit to the Happiest Place on Earth, aka the depths of toddler hell.

I never realized Disneyland was so scary.

I had thought our visit would be an opportunity for them to escape the pressure of growing up too fast and be kids in kidsville.

So here was the formula for virtually every enclosed Disney ride.

Happy, cottage-style house attracts kids and mother to long line. Mom tells kids how much fun she had riding the ride as a kid and assures children "it's not scary."

Kids quit biting fingernails as soon as they approach the carts to get on ride because the carts are cute and cheerful. Plus, the start of the ride is cartoony, with bright colors and smiling faces.

Then as soon as we get in the cart and round the corner, a big door opens and closes - and behold! We are now in toddler hell. Everything is dark, scary and loud. Trees jump out, and a skull and crossbones hangs on the wall.
    Carts thrust you inches from the wicked witch illuminating in a sickly green before jerking you in front of a snarling tree with claw-like branches.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride actually takes kids to "hell" as the cart goes down, down, down into a glowing red room and the heat turns up to 80-plus degrees.

When we rounded the corner on the storybook boat ride and went into a whale's mouth, I was afraid I'd be sentenced to riding It's a Small World and the carousel for the rest of the day. Fortunately, my girls just held their breath and let out a loud exhale once we were in the sunshine again.
    I relaxed and my thoughts drifted back to the good old days.

What fun it would have been to have a great pirate fight inside that whale - if only I were 6 again and not sheltering the eyes of a shaking 3-year-old.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Disneyland: Toddler hell - Paradise Post, 9/16/05

How do you NOT see Monstero if your going on Storybook? Monstero is one of the best things at Disneyland IMO.

Comment

Interesting view but to an extent some of that depends on the toddler. Many can handle those rides.

Comment

My toddler loves those rides. It just depends on the kid.

Comment

^ Ditto that. My little boy is VERY tall for his age. He is not even three, but when we went on Wed. he rode Splash Mountain for the first time. Since he was the smallest, he had to ride in front. He LOVED it. He also went on the Matterhorn, and was not scared of the abominable (however you spell that) snowman either. It definitely depends on the kid. My boy is apparently fearless....

Comment

It depends on the kid. It's not a bad thing if they're scared of it now. They'll grow out of it. I used to be scared of Snow White and Pinnochio back in the '80s when I was small (I used to be afraid of the Stormtrooper next to the People Mover track after Star Tours and so did the inside of the comet scene in Star Tours). I probably didn't grow out of it until I was 6. When our family went in June, my 4 year old nephew was scared of the dark rides, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Thunder Mountain, but at the same time he wanted to look instead of closing his eyes since he was rode with my mom on every attraction he went on. He never cried, either. His older sister was afraid of those rides the first couple of times she rode them, but she got over it by the time she was his age. That person's kids will grow out of it eventually. They probably didn't do anything to prepare the kids' anxiety or anything. www.Mouseplanet.com did an article a few months back about handling child anxiety at Disneyland without belittling the child or forcing them to go on the attraction when they really don't want to.

Comment

I have a feeling that our author is trying to be funny. She appears to be a staff writer and columnist for the paper, and like many columnist I think she is exaggerating to stir up controversy.
              I can't imagine anyone being scared of Snow white or Pinocchio unless they had never seen the movies, or any cartoon besides blues clues and Dora the explorer. If you have seen the movies the rides are no scarier.
              Additionally if she never took her kids to one of the many haunted houses that still exist to this day whose fault is that?
              Now she may be right about the problem of today’s schools and their zero-tolerance policies but to use Disneyland as a way to discuss that issue seems disingenuous.
              I will save the princess, though I do not know the way.

Comment

There has to be evil before there can be a happy ending. Even toddlers should know that.

Comment

I say Mom should have done her research and made better choices catered to her toddlers tastes. Telling your child that "it's not scary" is not enough. Those kids should have been told ahead of time what to expect and what they would see inside of those buildings. Mom will be lucky if those kids ever trust her again.
                  "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

Comment

She must not have paid much attention as all those rides have been there for 50 years. Since when has Disneyland ever been for toddlers? Heck, classic Disneyland is edutainment, which implies school age kids. They've since diluted the education part and added a few more juvenille rides, but all that did was annoy the adults and I doubt the toddlers are any happier. None of this really bothers me though because Disneyland does please children, teenagers, and adults, and that's a much larger market.

Comment

It's not called "Snow White's Scary Adventure" for nothing.
                      See you on Bats Day !

Comment

My little boy loves those rides, but he won't even walk into Buzz yet. The best I could do was get him to go in the gift shop at the exit to wait for Dad and sister. The idea of a huge Zurg just makes him shake. I now realize I made a mistake in letting him watch the Buzz Stage show, and that Zurg was much to large for his taste.

Comment

I will say, that although i love those rides when my Sister and BIL went to DL the first ride they hit was Mr. Toad for some reason. My then 3 year old Nephew was scared witless, and refused to ride another ride for the rest of the trip. Way to go SIS!.....next time try another ride first....
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

My DD started going to DL when she was 18 months old and absolutely loved it. Of course, I didn't take her on Snow White, Mr. Toad or even Pinnochio. I knew those rides would scare her so we stuck to ones that wouldn't. There was still plenty to do. We have video of her going on Alice in Wonderland on that trip and the look on her face was so funny-almost like she was in a trance. Dealing with the characters was the hardest part of taking a kid this age. She would see them from afar, get excited and run up to them, but then when she realized how big they were, she would cry. She did this the entire trip. Going when she was three was easier for this reason- she was over it by then. She didn't go on Snow White until she was six. You just have to know your kid and what they can handle.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb
                              Interesting view but to an extent some of that depends on the toddler. Many can handle those rides.
                              Exactly! My boys have been riding those since they were 18mths and 12 mths and both loved them.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X