Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game-design lessons from Disneyland (merged threads)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Game-design lessons from Disneyland (merged threads)

This Boing Boing article is very interesting. Scott Rogers, who works for video game company THQ, gave a presentation at the Game Developers' Conference about how he learnt how to design great levels in video games based on lessons he learnt entirely at Disneyland.

Game-design lessons from Disneyland - Boing Boing

Especially, click on the links down the bottom for the notes and the slides... it a cool insight into how you can really appreciate what Walt did at Disneyland and a study of how the place works and runs.

Re: Game-design lessons from Disneyland

That was very interesting. Thanks for posting.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Comment

sounds very interesting.. nice share!
      thanE

Comment

No problem! It really shows how much thought is put in to make the places more fun... although reading this sort of stuff makes your more conscious of what is going on around you, I still think it's fun to read.

Comment

Disneyland and Video Game Level Design

mr boss' design lair: Everything I Learned About Game Design I Learned From Disneyland

GDC09: Disneyland's 'The Haunted Mansion' is a first-person shooter

http://craphound.com/disneylandleveldesign.txt

There was a neat Game Development Conference '09 presentation on how Scott Rogers, the game designer for God of War and other games took inspiration from Disneyland for his work.
          Pretty neat read.
          M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
          sigpic
          Flickr

Comment

Re: Game-design lessons from Disneyland (merged threads)

Thanks for adding those extra links... was waiting for the full slides to come up!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X