This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Matterhorn Bobsleds

So we were at the park today for a VERY short trip and while in line for the Matterhorn, someone told me that the Matterhorn bobsleds are the old trains from Space Mountain at Walt Disney World. Is that true? I've never heard of that before and it seems weird that only seatbelts would be allowed for Space Mountain. Anyone have the correct answer?? I doubted it was true, but I guess you never know! Thanks!

Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

This is absolutely rediculous. People will tell you anything. The new bobsleds were specifically designed to replace the old ones. Everything about the Matterhorn and it's bobsleds is unique to Disneyland ..and always has been.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

It is true that Florida's Space Mountain used to have Matterhorn-style trains that seated 8 riders. There was only a seatbelt to hold riders in.

However, I am not sure whether or not the current trains at the Matterhorn are Space Mountain's original trains.

Comment

I stand corrected. Removing my incorrect post to prevent anymore confusion.
        Last edited by Vasooki; 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM.
        We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land! :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPro View Post
          It is true that Florida's Space Mountain used to have Matterhorn-style trains that seated 8 riders. There was only a seatbelt to hold riders in.

However, I am not sure whether or not the current trains at the Matterhorn are Space Mountain's original trains.
          Wow, so at least one part of the story was right! I would not feel safe riding Space Mountain with just a seat belt. And I can't imagine bumping into the person behind you that much. Interesting...

Thanks for the reply!!

Comment

Originally posted by krpink View Post
            Wow, so at least one part of the story was right! I would not feel safe riding Space Mountain with just a seat belt. And I can't imagine bumping into the person behind you that much. Interesting...

Thanks for the reply!!
            No Problem

Comment

Originally posted by krpink View Post
              So we were at the park today for a VERY short trip and while in line for the Matterhorn, someone told me that the Matterhorn bobsleds are the old trains from Space Mountain at Walt Disney World. Is that true? I've never heard of that before and it seems weird that only seatbelts would be allowed for Space Mountain. Anyone have the correct answer?? I doubted it was true, but I guess you never know! Thanks!
              The current Matterhorn Bobsleds are the original Space Mountain trains from Walt Disney World - their Space Mountain is much more similar to our Matterhorn.

And apparently Disney agreed with you, because those trains were shipped out to Anaheim when Space Mountain received new trains with lap bars instead of seat belts in the late 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                This is absolutely rediculous. People will tell you anything. The new bobsleds were specifically designed to replace the old ones. Everything about the Matterhorn and it's bobsleds is unique to Disneyland ..and always has been.
                Actually, you're incorrect. Space Mountain has had three actual rocket designs, the last two on the same chassis. Once the first rocket fleet with the two seats and seatbelts had its run, it was shipped to Anaheim. The next rockets were new, and consisted of U-Shaped lap bars and had a design similar to Disneyland's old rockets, just with in-line seating. The next design was a refabricated vehicle on the same chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                  Actually, you're incorrect. Space Mountain has had three actual rocket designs, the last two on the same chassis. Once the first rocket fleet with the two seats and seatbelts had its run, it was shipped to Anaheim. The next rockets were new, and consisted of U-Shaped lap bars and had a design similar to Disneyland's old rockets, just with in-line seating. The next design was a refabricated vehicle on the same chassis.
                  Thank you, WDITrent. The initial question sounded pretty far retched. I nevertheless stand enlightened and better informed. Alrays good to learn something new.
                  To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I'm confused! Was it true or not? There's different awnsers!

Comment

No. Those are not the same trains. The WDW Space Mountain trains would noit make it on the tracks of the Matterhorn due to sizing and turn radiuses, although their track is similar, it's impossible.
                      WELCOME ABOARD
                      THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

I'm still confused too! The answers keep changing! Haha!

Comment

I've always heard they are WDW Space Mountain's original rockets, too.

Comment

For those who are confused:

Anaheim now has the rockets that originally were at SM in Florida.

Comment

So I guess we can all agree to disagree then?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X