Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update dark-ride photo policy? No photos at all?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Update dark-ride photo policy? No photos at all?

Went to the park last week and had an unpleasant experience riding Pirates behind someone trying to take pictures with a digital camera (Canon Digital Rebel, for those keeping score). She spent several minutes with the exceedingly bright LCD screen lighting up the ride as she tried to adjust her settings to take pictures in the darkness.

Already flash photos are not allowed on the ride, for obvious reasons, but her screen was probably more disruptive to me than a flash would have been. At least a flash only lasts a fraction of a second.

So I ask you, since people can't figure out how to be courteous on their own, is it time to ban all photography from dark rides?

By "ban" I mean: Tell people no photography is allowed, as they say on Tower of Terror. You still could take stealthy pictures, and that's fine since if you're stealthy you aren't going to bother anybody: Use a DSLR with the screen turned off or a film camera, etc.

Re: Update dark-ride photo policy? No photos at all?

I think I'd have to agree. The bright LCD screen can be just as bad, if not worse, then the flash itself.

Comment

It's a losing battle on Disney's behalf. It's now nearly impossible to prevent people from taking pictures since a camera is basically a common feature in almost all modern day appliances we carry around in our pockets.

Disney can try to prevnt digital photography in their dark rides, but it will be an endless struggle that will probably wind up going nowhere.

Comment

Nah. The thing about the LCD screen is that it may be annoying to the people in the immediate vicinity, but that's the full extent of its influence. A flash going off will illuminate whole rooms, whole interiors, affecting people in other vehicles and so forth. And the pictures that result are terrible anyway! (Unless you're trying to get glimpses of what things look like without show lighting.) Prohibiting all photography in the attractions wouldn't be a good way to go, IMO. If someone's being particularly bothersome, you can always ask politely for them to turn off their screen. (Easier said than done, I know.)

Comment

Flash picture threads open a can of worms larger than those opened in stroller threads, smoking threads, AP bashing threads, breastfeeding threads, and sick guest threads combined.

These be the last friendly words you hear..

Comment

LCD screens on cameras don't bother me so much as bright screens on cell phones in places like the Mansion's stretching room. When the lights go dark, there always seems to be a phone open somewhere illuminating the room. Is your text that important??

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
              Is your text that important??
              It's tweeting, and yes.

Comment

I personally think that doing this will not make a difference. People will STILL take pictures, so it is only a matter of willpower to the guests. But I think a majority are still very respectful to the rules, so I really don't see the need to.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

To me, flashes are much worse than a backlit screen. So I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Comment

On Saturday in the haunted mansion people on either side of us were taking flash pictures every 2 seconds through the entire ride. It was very annoying and it gave me a very bad headache. I really did not understand the point in doing that. They even took flash pictures of the ballroom scene...about ten of them...I'm sure those turned out lovely.

as far as the back lit screen. i realize they can be annoying to those behind me. So, when I took he non flash pictures in POTC I immediately placed the camera against my chest until the screen went black again....the settings should be set before you enter the rise...it's not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                      On Saturday in the haunted mansion people on either side of us were taking flash pictures every 2 seconds through the entire ride. It was very annoying and it gave me a very bad headache. I really did not understand the point in doing that. They even took flash pictures of the ballroom scene...about ten of them...I'm sure those turned out lovely.

as far as the back lit screen. i realize they can be annoying to those behind me. So, when I took he non flash pictures in POTC I immediately placed the camera against my chest until the screen went black again....the settings should be set before you enter the rise...it's not that difficult.
                      The back lights on most cameras can be turned off, (at least on most cameras with a view finder)
                      As for people who constantly take a million flash pictures you can tend to spot those folks out before boarding the attraction. I make sure to let people go in front of me so I give them at least 5 boats buffer zone. I tend to only ride pirates in the early morning or very late evening to avoid this problem.

Comment

I was shocked last week in POTC when someone kept taking flash photos...someone came on the loud speaker to say, "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY".

Comment

Yeah, preset your camera and turn off the LCD screen. That's all it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post

i take night shot photos of people who do that and put them in a very special album on my myspace page

i've even followed people out of the ride and taken regular pix of them in the daylight so that everyone can see what @%%#"^!'s they are
                            Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                            -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                            elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                            Originally posted by pratt55
                            Elly is adorkable.

Comment

I find LCD screens easy to ignore, unless they are in areas that depends on complete darkness for full immersion, like the aforementioned stretch room. However, there are much more annoying things guests can do, such as taking flash pictures, or worse, talking on their cell phones during a ride. That is my ultimate pet peeve of ride distraction.
                              "I can stand the sight of worms,
                              and look at microscopic germs,
                              but technicolor pachyderms
                              are really too much for me."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X