Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

    The more I think about it, the less amusing it seems to me. I think it can be done to make a parade that well represents the spirit of California but you have to make it entertaining. If it isn't entertaining I rather keep the Pixar characters.


    After alot of thought, I just can't see an entertaining, historically correct Californian parade that covers the entire story. Therefore, I'd say keep the Pixar Characters on parade, and then have the rest of the parks entertainment tie into the Californian theme.


    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

    You must not have been around for the short lived Eureka! when it debuted in 2001, which in my opinion was one of the best parades at the DLR that i've seen. It told the rich the story of California and was visually stunning and really creative. I wish it would be back.

    Oh yeah, and there was no pixar in it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

      Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
      You must not have been around for the short lived Eureka! when it debuted in 2001, which in my opinion was one of the best parades at the DLR that i've seen. It told the rich the story of California and was visually stunning and really creative. I wish it would be back.

      Oh yeah, and there was no pixar in it.
      I saw it, I enjoyed it. But then Block Party Bash came. Far superior if you ask me. Way more energy, way more entertaining, and it stopped me in my tracks several times when I was walking out of DCA. I just stopped and watched the show because it was that energetic, that visually unique, and it just stood out. Eureka was cute but nothing compared to the Play Parade if you ask me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

        I loved the Eureka! Parade.

        but Pixar Play Parade is one of my top 5 favoritest parade!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

          What they need to do perhaps is to take some notes from existing parades. What do people enjoy about them? Is it the characters? Is it the music? Is it the movies that the characters are from?

          Obviously Eureka failed to find an audience even if it was a very well crafted parade. But we shouldn't rush to conclusions that they shouldn't even try. I think for parades, it's perfectly okay to toon it up.


          Disney characters on a CA vacation. There's your parade.

          Have a float where Donald's nephews are riding on a GRR raft float. But where's Donald? He's hanging up in a hang glider dodging a giant octopus.

          Roger Rabbit driving in a Benny cab would be fun to see. (and the other CARS like Lightning McQueen and Mater and hopefully others can follow suit)

          How about a recreation of Mickey's Trailer being pulled by a car driven randomly by Goofy? Characters in the back can wave to guests.

          A dance troupe of bears picking up trash, led by the ranger... with Humphrey trailing behind.



          I dunno, i'm just throwing out some ideas in my head. They can certainly do a good parade about CA while making it fun too. And with the characters, you have the kid's attention. Eureka just didn't connect with them.


          Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

          Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

            The theme of the parade is really secondary, it has no weight on whether or not a parade is good. Its all about energy and vibe, you could have a parade based on classic Disney characters that sucks, and a parade based on California history that is high energy and great. Its more about the parade music and overall personality than the actual theme.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

              The more energetic the parade the more attention it gets from the audience. theme is nothing for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                What they need to do perhaps is to take some notes from existing parades. What do people enjoy about them? Is it the characters? Is it the music? Is it the movies that the characters are from?

                Obviously Eureka failed to find an audience even if it was a very well crafted parade. But we shouldn't rush to conclusions that they shouldn't even try. I think for parades, it's perfectly okay to toon it up.


                Disney characters on a CA vacation. There's your parade.

                Have a float where Donald's nephews are riding on a GRR raft float. But where's Donald? He's hanging up in a hang glider dodging a giant octopus.

                Roger Rabbit driving in a Benny cab would be fun to see. (and the other CARS like Lightning McQueen and Mater and hopefully others can follow suit)

                How about a recreation of Mickey's Trailer being pulled by a car driven randomly by Goofy? Characters in the back can wave to guests.

                A dance troupe of bears picking up trash, led by the ranger... with Humphrey trailing behind.



                I dunno, i'm just throwing out some ideas in my head. They can certainly do a good parade about CA while making it fun too. And with the characters, you have the kid's attention. Eureka just didn't connect with them.
                Win. I really, really like that idea. Sure some elements I am not crazy about, like the Mickey's Tractor but the Donald, Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey idea is great. Really nice.

                How about a sailor Mickey on a ship leading the parade then Pinochio, Alice, and Marry Poppins in a Paradise Pier float with bubbles. It would be a float with waves splashing outward then a pier. On the pier Pinochio and friends circling on a little Carousel. Marry Poppins and friends in the middle, then Alice and Friends, in the back seperated from the rest of the float by a little roller coaster resembling Screamin'.

                Maybe in raft and the raft would simulate rapids and they hit a rapid, water would splash everytime. Not into the crowds but as a visual effect. Maybe have that infront a little mountain with some hikers, then on the back of that mountain have the mooses of brother bear and the bears.

                Then a smaller Airplane. Clouds on the bottom then an airplane flying upward with Goofy on it. A hot airballoon with a old fashioned pilot in it.

                Then a Hollywood unit with Roger Rabbit, like you said in a car, with Chip n' Dale as directing on a stand shooting a nice action sequence with stunts. Finally, it would come out with Pluto and some retro cars coming out ending with the California Adventure's logo.

                Anyways, great idea Cohetboy.
                Last edited by Ice101; 05-08-2009, 06:51 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                  I hope that DCA's next parade is California themed, as much as I enjoy Pixar Play Parade and Block Party Bash I think they should go in another direction. The 10th anniversary is not that far away and if they did something like TDL's "Disney's Dreams on Parade" where the flaots represented the different areas of the park they could incorporate both the characters and the California theme, even if it is being faded away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                    I would like to disagree about the statements here being made on theme.

                    I truly think that theme is a major factor on a parade. The only problem with Eureka was there was no audience in the park to begin with.

                    Do you think PoD would be nearly as popular if management just said just throw some characters? There's a name for that, a cavalcade.

                    No, A parade needs a theme, without one it is just one of those city 4th of July spectacles.

                    Parade of the Stars was nothing but characters riding by saying hi, it lasted long but was not pleasing to many. PoD comes out immediately with a theme statement, we are celebrating the power of dreams. You don't notice it, but all of the thematic elements are what makes it such a powerful show. Look at the detail in the score and in the design/naming of the floats.

                    When have floats ever been given labeled names before?

                    Theme is very important, and Eureka rocked at it, if only management could see that it was the bad attendance not the show...


                    But to be honest, until DCA can stand on its own, Disney will continue to use its characters to support it, so such an idea of a creative original parade would not even be considered right now, as unfortunate as that is, because I loved Eureka so much! One day they will reconsider.
                    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                    -August 1st 2010

                    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                    -August 2nd 2010

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                      Originally posted by imagineerthat View Post
                      I hope that DCA's next parade is California themed, as much as I enjoy Pixar Play Parade and Block Party Bash I think they should go in another direction. The 10th anniversary is not that far away and if they did something like TDL's "Disney's Dreams on Parade" where the flaots represented the different areas of the park they could incorporate both the characters and the California theme, even if it is being faded away.
                      I think, don't quote me here, that DCA can't do a true 10th anniversary parade as they won't have a parade route to do it on...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                        Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                        I think, don't quote me here, that DCA can't do a true 10th anniversary parade as they won't have a parade route to do it on...
                        They could modify the parade route. There is a gate between Pacific Wharf and the Farm. The path appears to be wide enough to allow floats through, so DCA can have a true 10th anniversary parade.
                        Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
                        I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.


                        "Cool shades, Mike!"

                        Art Tweet Comic Tube

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                          DLR relies on characters tooo much. DCA was supposed to be a stand alone park...much like how Epcot was. Everyone gripped about the lack of rides and too many eateries, but the park was meant to be a celebration of all that is California. Eureka! showed that same spirit. But now the park has to fall back on characters, because people think because you are within 100 yards of Disneyland it must BE Disneyland.

                          If you look at both Epcot and MGM/DHS both did fairly well to begin with...it wasn't even untill the last few years that the characters have entered those parks. It just seems like the mentality of the west coast parks are polar opposites of the east coast parks.
                          Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

                          "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

                          Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                            Here's the link to Werner Weiss' article on Yesterland about Eureka!- DCA's short-lived Californian Parade

                            Eureka! at Yesterland
                            WELCOME ABOARD
                            THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: DCA - A Californian Themed Parade

                              Only if they hire Trey Parker and Matt Stone to do it and throw political correctness out the window

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X