Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would guests understand the ticket books if Disney started using them tomorrow?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Would guests understand the ticket books if Disney started using them tomorrow?

Today at work, I was working on a file. From the cubicles on the other side of me, there was a conversation between two employees and their supervisor. I normally ignore mundane workplace conversations but then they started talking about E-tickets, and this naturally caught my attention. What I heard was this:

Supervisor: So this is a real E-ticket situation.

Employee #1: E-ticket? I wonder where that term comes from?

Employee #2: It comes from Disneyland. In the old days they used to have ticket books with individual tickets labeled A through E that let you get on different rides, and an E-ticket was one type of ticket that they used.

Employee #1: Yah. Wasn't an E-ticket like some special ticket you could use to cut in the line later on?

Supervisor: No, that is a Fastpass

Employee #2: Yah. You're confusing an E-ticket with the Fastpasses. They use those today. An E-ticket is like from a long time ago. An E-ticket was like a really special ticket that let you go on everything.

Supervisor and Employee #1: Oh wow. Really? Everything? That is really cool! You're like an expert when it comes to these types of things!

I had to bite my lip so hard from opening my mouth. I was feeling a mixture of frustration and extreme humor at this point and I am glad I didn't say anything because I was not too sure what would have come out.

But this situation led me to think. I personally would love to see the ticket books come back for at least one day, at the very least for the nostalgia of it all. I have a couple of old ticket books in a drawer and they have never lost that distinctive smell that takes me back to being a kid again!

So what would happen if Disney really did decide to reinstate the ticket books? Would people not know how to use them? As I said I think that it would be great to reinstate the ticket book system. But this scenario shows to me that most people would not be able to figure out this simple system, so maybe not.

Should Disney bring back the ticket books, or should they forget about doing this altogether?

Re: Would guests understand the ticket books if Disney started using them tomorrow?

Well, some of us would. And as you can see, others wouldn't. It just means that MC would have a whole week with no lines cause no one could figure it out!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Re: Would guests understand the ticket books if Disney started using them tomorrow?

Now-a-days an E-ticket is a ticket you buy online, print at home and use to get on an airplane. Dose Disney use the phrase "E-Ticket" for their online ticket purchase option?
      Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

Comment

I think some (ok, a lot) would get lost (Fast Pass is hard to understand for most).
        Would it fly?
        People are use to the Pay once for everything concept.
        If the other parks followed, then it would become norm.
        Until then Disney would hear about and possibly loss business.
        Also, people complain about ticket prices when the rise.
        Quote by Al:
        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
        -Al Lutz

Comment

I think people would "get it" eventually, but probably not be happy with it.

Comment

For the system to work once again they would have to lower admission prices, then roll out a massive ad campaign to explain that they have a new lower price and now you only pay for what you want to experience.

Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

Comment

Well, another thing s it would make lines a lot shorter You'd have to pay more to go on Space than you would SBC Walkthrough. Also, things would have to be changed from the original system, as the Monorail would not constitute as an E Ticket any more (ecept in my book), the train is no longer a D-Ticket, and Peter Pan could be upped to an E-ticket.
              WELCOME ABOARD
              THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

Shorter lines? I'm game.
                I wonder how many people would bite if they had to pay the same about for Peter Pan as Indiana Jones? I know I wouldn't. Could the switch also make it easier for guests to "vote with their wallets"? Maybe that Pooh abomination (or DCA for that matter) wouldn't pass the model stage if they knew that if the attraction under performs so will the profit margins.
                Last edited by yensid1987; 05-12-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

People would get it eventually, but there would be screaming and complaining constantly.
                  Hey...let's do it! :-)

Comment

There would be chaos if Disney went back to ticket books.

Comment

In an article on the 50th, CNN.com confused E-tickets with Passports.
                      "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                      Disney sequel):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                      Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by yensid1987 View Post
                        For the system to work once again they would have to lower admission prices, then roll out a massive ad campaign to explain that they have a new lower price and now you only pay for what you want to experience.

I think it could be reinstated if it were parsed into action. It could be implemented when a new attraction was opened. For the first year, it could be charged at a higher price (they could probably pay off a good portion of the cost in a couple of years). After that, the cost could be brought down to a more comfortable level. As additional attractions are added, direct revenues for attractions would ensure their value and proper maintenance.

I know there will be a lot of complaints about trying to bring something like that back, but I really feel that the free reign that guests have now with the one-price entry with annual passes on top of that, are a big contributor to the degradation of quality of new attractions, along with overuse and reduced maintenance of existing attractions.

Comment

An interesting question. Answering the initial question as stated (disregarding the technicalities like guest complaints and gate prices and all that):

Somebody who doesn't often go to parks and rarely or never to DL shouldn't have trouble with it, provided there's adequate signage. The A-E tickets are fundamentally no different than the common ride tickets you see at the fair and the boardwalk. But there would certainly be some confusion with understanding how to combine tickets, how you can use two As for a B attraction, a B and C for an E, etc, and the fact that you can do so.

Now, add regular attendees into the mix, those accustomed to how things are now, and many of them would surely be running around like decapitated chickens in confusion for a while, no matter how much they're told in advance. (Again, this is neverminding the inevitable complaints and absolute chaos at City Hall, and stuff.)

Comment

In today's world I don't think people are smart enough to figure it out easily.

Comment

I could totally see Disney adding back the ticket system while raising General Admission up by two more dollars.

For a while they could actually get away with it too. =?
                              Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                              "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                              -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                              -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X